Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible online bugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Possible online bugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible online bugs - 5/14/2001 9:07:00 AM   
Alby

The OP fire in online seems wierded out, sometimes between turn change over, you will get op fire requests, and of course, you cant OP fire. but game seems to get stuck in OP fire loop. Also seem to be getting alot of OP fire requests, then when I confirm the op fire, nothing happens, Dont even see the original fire. was happening to opposing player alot as well. May have been lag but might wanna check it out. this was 3 person game.

Post #: 1
- 5/14/2001 11:01:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

"Phantom opfire" is a latency problem that is magnified in multiplayer games. It can be either opfire at units that aren't there, or units that Opfire at their previous target and no the one triggering the fire. The "end of turn opfire" is when retreating units trigger opfire, its supposed to happen, and will work. The game works in a "peer to peer" networking mode so each computer is "in control" during its turn sending reports of what is happening to the others. If packets arrive at the other computer out of order or get lost, then the games can "diverge" and get out of synch with each other. If this sort of "weird" activity starts getting really bad, then the player whose turn it is should save teh game and send it to the other players and restart form that point. That should synch the games back up. Our future games will use a "client server" setup...where teh game players on one machine and updates the others so this shouldn't happen. But are stuck with the original SP3 online setup in SP:WaW.

http://www.matrixgames.com/images/sig-logo-02.gif

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
- 5/14/2001 2:23:00 PM   
Kimmo Paananen

Opfire seems to work ok when I play human vs human games. But when we tried 2xhuman vs CPU-game, we didn't get any opfires :( The computer just shooted at us and there was nothing we could do. So, still not able to play cooperavitely with my girlfriend against the computer. Doh!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
- 5/14/2001 9:23:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Yes as we said before the online game is designed to be played by humans.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
- 5/15/2001 12:46:00 AM   
MysticX

Well then, can I ask what the purpose of fixing the AI in online games was then? It kind of got my (and others') hopes up to see that maybe that 2 Human vs Computer game would finally be possible. And it is, to a limited extent. If you look past the destroyed units that don't look destroyed. And the phantom tanks ressurecting 20 times as your partner moves into opfire he has no idea is happening. There seems to be separate calculations done on each machine, causing a divergence between each player's view of the battlefield. I am wondering why it would be so difficult to make all calculations on the machine of the player whose turn it is, and simply send all results to the other players. I know I'm not the only one disappointed that complete online AI support didn't come with 5.0 (and will most likely never). -MysticX

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 5
- 5/15/2001 6:21:00 AM   
Alby

Paul Vebber Administrator Member # 24 "Phantom opfire" is a latency problem that is magnified in multiplayer games. It can be either opfire at units that aren't there, or units that Opfire at their previous target and no the one triggering the fire. The "end of turn opfire" is when retreating units trigger opfire, its supposed to happen, and will work. Thanks Paul, what about being asked to opfire at something that hasnt moved, or fired at you, then you say "yes" to the request, then nothing happens? Latency again?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 6
- 5/15/2001 7:45:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yes, when you play on a LAN you hardly get any of these errors.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
- 5/15/2001 7:50:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Try playing vs the AI with opfirm off.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 8
- 5/16/2001 8:13:00 AM   
Alby

Well supposedly this summer, we get cable internet here in my small town hehe. Any way i seldom play vs the AI, but when I do OP fire is off. Think I kinda missed your point of why to do that? :confused:

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 9
- 5/16/2001 8:19:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

because with opfire confirm on sometimes strange things happen in online play where one side is the AI.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 10
- 5/17/2001 7:59:00 AM   
Alby

OH got ya... well never play online vs the AI only against humons(said like a ferengi, heheh) ;)

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Possible online bugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI