Red Sky at Morning

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wumaj

Red Sky at Morning

Post by wumaj »

I am looking for a copy of the rules for Red Sky at Morning, a Simulations Canada game.

Thanks and happy holidays to all

Cape Horn Circumnavigator
zakblood

RE: Red Sky at Morning

Post by zakblood »

1993 version?
Like most other releases from underrated developer Simulations Canada (SimCan), Red Sky at Morning lives up to their normal complex gameplay and high realism.The game is a simulation of a hypothetical world-wide naval war, including a potential nuclear release. You can, naturally, play as either the US or the USSR, each with an accurate array of ships and nuclear weapons at your disposal. One of the first SimCan game with graphics, it was awkward in execution (graphics are presented in separate screens instead of with other text... perhaps a result of them being added later after the whole game was already coded in ASCII), but is still impressive for its tremendous amount of research and many realistic factors.

Overall, the game is a worthwhile challenge for naval simulation fans who are interested in Cold War portrayal, although it could have been made much more interesting with more diplomatic options a la Balance of Power.

from what i can see in the game, the read me file is contained in the game folder, plus extra info is in game, there is no manual that i can see, unless it came with the boxed version, then unless you find it for sale somewhere, you maybe out of luck i'm sorry to say
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wumaj

Post by wumaj »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

1993 version?
Like most other releases from underrated developer Simulations Canada (SimCan), Red Sky at Morning lives up to their normal complex gameplay and high realism.The game is a simulation of a hypothetical world-wide naval war, including a potential nuclear release. You can, naturally, play as either the US or the USSR, each with an accurate array of ships and nuclear weapons at your disposal. One of the first SimCan game with graphics, it was awkward in execution (graphics are presented in separate screens instead of with other text... perhaps a result of them being added later after the whole game was already coded in ASCII), but is still impressive for its tremendous amount of research and many realistic factors.

Overall, the game is a worthwhile challenge for naval simulation fans who are interested in Cold War portrayal, although it could have been made much more interesting with more diplomatic options a la Balance of Power.

from what i can see in the game, the read me file is contained in the game folder, plus extra info is in game, there is no manual that i can see, unless it came with the boxed version, then unless you find it for sale somewhere, you maybe out of luck i'm sorry to say

I have two original SimCan games, Battle of the Atlantic and Northern Fleet. Both have 3-4 page rule sets and guidance as to how to play the game. I would guess that Red Sky was similarly equipped.

Thanks for your reply

matt3916

Post by matt3916 »

Try going here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d3c4/28173

and asking the owner if he still has any files available.
wumaj

Post by wumaj »

Thank you for that. I have posted a message there.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

wumaj, I'm checking with our lead programmer Rob. He was doing some SimCan work years ago and may have the rules info.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
wumaj

Post by wumaj »

thanks very much.

best of the season to you and yours

Mark
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Hi there. I might just have that game but if so, it is in a box with most of my naval books which currently resides in the basement (I'm reno'ing the house). There is a slight chance that I tossed it in the great Apple computer wargame purge of 2005 or so. My stack of useless wargames with 5.25" floppy disks irked me and I just tossed it all in frustration. I really ought to have kept all the printed materials but I doubt I did. Anyway, I will check and post here what I find.

I used to do games for SimCan and have a lot of SimCan game source code on my hard drive still but nothing in the way of PDFs or text files of the rules. Darn!

Happy holidays everyone, cheers, Rob
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I have two original SimCan games, Battle of the Atlantic and Northern Fleet. Both have 3-4 page rule sets and guidance as to how to play the game.

BTW, what's your opinion of "Battle of the Atlantic"? I could never get it to go beyond 1941 without crashing. (And by that time, it had become rather repetitive.)
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
wumaj

Post by wumaj »

No need to venture into the basement. I purchased the docs from Stephen Newberg.

thanks and have a good holiday season

mark
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall
There is a slight chance that I tossed it in the great Apple computer wargame purge of 2005 or so. My stack of useless wargames with 5.25" floppy disks irked me and I just tossed it all in frustration.
What an appropriate time of the year to mention this sacrilege! ...'because now I want to crucify you! ...Apple ][ Forever!
(with your confession, it seems Apple Computers wasn't alone if forgetting that slogan/pledge/battlecry)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “General Discussion”