Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reducing op losses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Reducing op losses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 1:06:29 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

Currently, I have a PBEM game playing each side in '42. I have spent more time than in previous games clicking on the "Planes" on the bottom left of airgroups to see how much plane fatigue I have. I have kept some groups resting longer than before to get those numbers down as I've seen some planes have fatigue grow to over 100. Is this a wasted effort or does it help reduce op losses? As Allies, I know the C-47s are flying daily and they have major op losses. As Japan, its tough to keep those high SR patrol groups of Mavis and Emily flying. Would increasing the percentage on Rest help?

Post #: 1
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 1:19:00 PM   
n01487477

Hi Michael - I did a test of this a while ago now, but from memory (it's getting fuzzy in my greying years) there was a threshold I found with not only rest but also range settings and arcs... Sorry I cant locate the data but let us know how it goes. I'll do some tests again after uni settles down ...

(in reply to ny59giants_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 4:20:43 PM   
BBfanboy

I think damage over 100 indicates an aircraft taken offline for maintenance and getting a major overhaul.

Rest/lower pace of ops does help the ground crews keep up with maintenance work without pulling the plane off-line for a lengthy repair. And lower aircraft wear-and-tear does seem to help with reducing ops losses.

I have been monitoring my plane wear and tear and setting my patrol levels accordingly - e.g. on a unit of 12 PBYs I look at the plane fatigue and see six of them in the double digits I only set 40% to patrol or train. Next turn I check again to see if the number of aircraft in double digits has gone up or down. Note that I do not specify "Rest" for any %, I just leave a portion unassigned and let the maintenance guys figure it out. I only set a Rest % when I need to keep the squadron operating but pilots are getting fatigue in the double digits overall.

Caveat: I have the luxury to not run my aircraft hard because I am playing the AI and it does not have many assets left to throw at me. IRL and in most game players will need to accept higher levels of losses.

PS- it is tedious and time-consuming to do what I do so I only look at stuff about every three turns. It pays off - most of my ops losses are damaged aircraft not making it back to base rather than just failing to return from an uneventful patrol.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 6:57:04 PM   
crsutton

You can pull up your entire list of squadrons and then rank them from lowest to highest morale. Any squadron moving below 75 morale I try to stand them down for a few days. You will find that this goes hand in had with aircraft fatigue in that when you rest a unit to recover morale planes will recover from fatigue as well. In fact, it works so well that I really do not pay much attention to plane fatigue. Just rest them when morale is low and it will take care of itself. A lot of players use the "rest setting" in the patrol menu and find it works just fine for them. However, I never set a percentage of my units to rest but just pull them out of the line and stand them down when needed. This need not be that complicated. I don't like to rest units in the front lines and it is not needed in the rear areas

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 7:38:12 PM   
HansBolter

I limit ops losses for squadrons flying daily nav search by never allocating more than 50% to the task and only searching out to normal range.

It's squads set to daily milk run bombings that I have to monitor occasionally and stand down due to plane fatigue.
Leave a squad bombing daily for three weeks straight and both planes and pilots will be in rough shape.

Hans

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/16/2016 7:43:59 PM   
GetAssista

In my AI Ironman as Allies I put my transports flying The Hump (Ledo-Tsuyung) to 30% rest as well as maintained all groups fully stocked with reserve a/c (usually 4 per group) if possible and filled to the brim with pilots. Plane fatugue was manageable. Pilot fatigue was not an issue at all. There were still noticeable operational losses, but I can't say anything meaningful about how they would compare to other settings

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/17/2016 4:18:41 PM   
adarbrauner

An intriguing question a bit related to this issue:

suppose you have an air unit composed of 1 airplane only ( such as float plane assigned to a ship); if I set a certain "rest" percentage", for example of 20%, shall this be interpreted by the system as to abort 20% of the fly mission (to rest)?

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 7
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/17/2016 5:02:06 PM   
MakeeLearn

To reduce OP losses Ive been paying attention not only to pilot fatigue but also to the weather. Resting when the weather is too bad, i.e. extreme overcast. Especially if it's bad at both the home base and the target.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 8
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/17/2016 6:34:40 PM   
cohimbra

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Currently, I have a PBEM game playing each side in '42. I have spent more time than in previous games clicking on the "Planes" on the bottom left of airgroups to see how much plane fatigue I have. I have kept some groups resting longer than before to get those numbers down as I've seen some planes have fatigue grow to over 100. Is this a wasted effort or does it help reduce op losses? As Allies, I know the C-47s are flying daily and they have major op losses. As Japan, its tough to keep those high SR patrol groups of Mavis and Emily flying. Would increasing the percentage on Rest help?

I found 50%/50% (NavS/Rest) plus search arcs the best combo to mantain pilot fatigue under control. It also work well without setting search arcs. Reducing range is helpful again, es. setting Mavis/Emily range to 18/20 (this reduce also planes fatigue/ops losses). Played 3 GC as japanese, last we're now in 08/'44, I run Mavis/Emily and Betty/Nell/Frances (also J1N1-C Irving & ki-46-III Dinah...you need A LOT of NavS, allied are everywhere) daily for months with this settings (with search arcs if there's a need to avoid heavy a2a losses over big ports with lot of TFs & cap...a/c tend to do more & more passages over this hexes if you don't set arcs. Without setting search arcs in 'free' patrol area). However trying & trying is always the best option IMO, but these settings can be a good point from starting your future experiments. Hope this help.

< Message edited by cohimbra -- 12/17/2016 6:40:00 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/17/2016 11:31:53 PM   
rustysi

The above suggestions will help. In addition to those if you can work it out keep more AS than needed at the base, keeps the A/C fatigue down.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to cohimbra)
Post #: 10
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/18/2016 12:00:50 AM   
PaxMondo

Something I monitor and work like a hawk. AB size, AV excess, rest, morale, plane fatigue, pilot fatigue, mission distance, mission type all factor into it and likely some more variables as well. My goal is to keep my ops losses to less than 20% of my total losses ... it can be done and it has a HUGE impact upon aircraft requirements, which in turn drives factory size, which is supply usage.

Pax

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/19/2016 1:27:48 PM   
Macclan5

There was a thread conversation in Sardukars Newbie tutorial around "Range" as well. i.e. how range affects fatigue.

I am uncertain if the mechanics of the game specifically are aligned to it but it makes sense to me and I have adopted the practice where possible.

If Possible - reduce flights (Search/Recon/Supply) from maximum range missions by toggling down the range on aircraft.

i.e. Catalina from 20 hex search down to 16 hex.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 12
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/19/2016 1:58:37 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Just got a very small piece of data on ops losses in my forts reduction test. I was flying C-47s to supply the Allies and Tabbys to the IJA.

After a year of turns I noticed the transports. One group of C-47s had 1 plane left from 36. The Tabby group had 13. The most glaring difference in the groups is pilot quality. I'd inadvertently added experts to Tabby group. Very normal average EXP pilots to the Allied group.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 13
RE: Reducing op losses - 12/19/2016 1:59:09 PM   
obvert

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Reducing op losses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI