OT: Dunkirk the Movie!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

OT: Dunkirk the Movie!

Post by Footslogger »

Yes Gentleman. They are finally doing a movie about Dunkirk!

Here is the trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QBye6-ToM

SheperdN7

RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie!

Post by SheperdN7 »

Yes, Christopher Nolan directing. Loved Inception and TDK Trilogy, here's hoping that he can get the pure desperation feeling to appear in this movie.

I think Dunkirk would probably be the hardest war movie ever to make, simply because of the sheer size and scale of that evacuation and the amount of desperation and what was at stake.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Finally....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I wait with bated breath. Please let it be a good one.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Yes, Christopher Nolan directing. Loved Inception and TDK Trilogy, here's hoping that he can get the pure desperation feeling to appear in this movie.

I think Dunkirk would probably be the hardest war movie ever to make, simply because of the sheer size and scale of that evacuation and the amount of desperation and what was at stake.

You mean like 'Overlord'.[:D] Think 'The Longest Day'. Good movie for Hollywood at that time. Oh, wait you're 'just a whippersnapper', you don't go back that far.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

All the troops in the evacuation scenes can be done with CGI, as can most of the boats. Getting good writing for the parts and the actors to deliver them is the hard part. Since we already know the storyline, the tension has to come from giving us characters we can care about and then having some of them survive and other not, or survive with crippling wounds.

I do hope they left out the obligatory love story - other than loved ones in Britain waiting to learn of their mens' fates.

Oh, and please minimize Goering's screen time too!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Here is the trailer!

I hope it turns out great! But when you say "finally", this is the one that immediately came into my mind.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051565/
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Feh. I'm interested in the pastry buffet he has set out for him every morning. Maybe some nice lox (too Jewish?), eggs, sausages (naturally) and champagne fresh from the finest cellars in France. They could fill 5 minutes-easy-with him filling his plate and his gob.
Big B

Post by Big B »

One of my favorite movies growing up was 1969's Battle of Britain....I still love it.
Hermann Goering was portrayed as a buffoon who didn't understand fighter pilots and modern aerial warfare.

As an adult I understand that things back then were still portrayed in WW2 propaganda format.
Today, I understand that Hermann Goering was the last leader of Richthofen's Flying Circus in WW1, and an accomplished fighter ace in his own right... he couldn't have been the ass he is portrayed as in popular history - in reality - something doesn't smell right.

The Germans finally getting crushed doesn't mean the propaganda was accurate either ..... just saying (and I'm an American Fanboy).

B
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Feh. I'm interested in the pastry buffet he has set out for him every morning. Maybe some nice lox (too Jewish?), eggs, sausages (naturally) and champagne fresh from the finest cellars in France. They could fill 5 minutes-easy-with him filling his plate and his gob.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: Big B

One of my favorite movies growing up was 1969's Battle of Britain....I still love it.
Hermann Goering was portrayed as a buffoon who didn't understand fighter pilots and modern aerial warfare.

As an adult I understand that things back then were still portrayed in WW2 propaganda format.
Today, I understand that Hermann Goering was the last leader of Richthofen's Flying Circus in WW1, and an accomplished fighter ace in his own right... he couldn't have been the ass he is portrayed as in popular history - in reality - something doesn't smell right.

The Germans finally getting crushed doesn't mean the propaganda was accurate either ..... just saying (and I'm an American Fanboy).

B

That movie was incepted though with strict cooperation and advice from A. Galland, who may have known one or two things more than others regarding Goering, the Luftwaffe and its management.

This without disqualifing your insight.

I'd like to see again the "Battle of Britain", but cannot find it on the interenet - for free.

Any how this new movie here on Dunkirk looks very good.
Big B

Post by Big B »

@ adarbrauner, I saw Battle Of Britain 1969 for $3.99 region 1 (USA & Canada) It's a fantastic fim.
I don't know where you are and what region - but it's worth a search.

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

B

That movie was incepted though with strict cooperation and advice from A. Galland, who may have known one or two things more than others regarding Goering, the Luftwaffe and its management.

This without disqualifing your insight.

I'd like to see again the "Battle of Britain", but cannot find it on the interenet - for free.

Any how this new movie here on Dunkirk looks very good.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Here is the trailer!

Already been done (1958)). Were we manage to salvage a glorious defeat from the jaws of victory.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

B
warspite1

Hi Big B I would recommend The Battle of Britain (Holland) and The Most Dangerous Enemy (Bungay). There may have been an element of mickey take about his portrayal in that excellent film - but not much given what the likes of Galland and Speer had to say.

I don't think Goering's personal bravery (before his drug addiction) comes into his ability to command the Luftwaffe. His tactics in the battle and his lack of energy in understanding what was required (look at the British efforts to get damaged aircraft back in the skies compared to the Germans as just one example) were woeful.

Goering was a political animal and what was right for Germany appeared to come second to what was right for the Luftwaffe - and for Goering! Don't get me wrong, Goering was, by all accounts highly intelligent, but (and I can only assume his addiction was the issue here) he was the wrong man to lead the Luftwaffe - let alone the economy!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Big B

Post by Big B »

Thanks Warspite1
I finally watched the Trailer, I would rather recommend 1942's "In Which We Serve"
It's not 2016, but it's faithful to the time of Dunkirk 1940, and I think more of their mood, and includes their action at Dunkirk
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

B

He must have been a very good pilot but that does not mean he was any good at leadership. Been any number of so called great leaders who were not as great as propaganda made them out to be. Only history/hindsight (without bias) can proove if they where. Not too sure if propaganda has stopped being part of any film making but at least this one was a good film unlike the movie that should not be mentioned.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUv5FcyNM0

I my opinion , this movie beats anyone else for realism

The meeting with Goering, as related and telled by Galland himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjz8pAGRvsg

for me , this is the most loyal possible representation of the facts.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Its going to have to be pretty decent to beat the 1958 version.

it ok though, when they made another film about Dec 7th 1941 after Tora! Tora! Tora! they didn't get it hopelessly wrong........oh hang on [:)]
spence

Post by spence »

The movie seems to echo a BBC 3-part docudrama about the same topic. Enjoyed that one
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Yeah, that was good as well

For you young ones on here, some boy band member is in it.

If it means a load of teens googling Dunkirk and learning about it, then that is no bad thing.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

He was courageous, and also politically and commercially astute, but his military involvement ended in 1918 until his purely political appointment as head of the newly formed Luftwaffe. He had no staff training or experience, which was a bit of a limiting factor in the world's only six star general. Mind you, his boss had no staff training or experience either and his highest military rank had only been corporal. [:D]

Add in the mood swings resulting from his morphine addiction resulting from the injuries he received at the Munich Beer Hall and the fact that almost no one ever dared to tell him "no" and you have the problem that was Hermann Goering.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”