Advanced Third Reich Beta Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
pzgndr

Advanced Third Reich Beta Mod

Post by pzgndr »

Please see my A3R AAR posted. These files allow players to try out this campaign, based on Avalon Hill's boardgame of the same name.

1. Please use/create C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns
2. Extract this "Advanced Third Reich1939.cgn" zip file to this directory.
3. Extract the next "_Advanced Third Reich 1939" zip file to this directory.
4. You should now be able to play/edit the Advanced Third Reich mod campaign.

Edit. cgn file refreshed with Update All for AI and Event scripts and resaved. Maybe this helps resolve the transport error below.

Edit #2. Changed country and sea name fonts to 24.

UPDATE 2/27. Edit #3. Updated to v1.01 and fixed Malta port error.

UPDATE 3/4. Edit #4. Updated A3R mod to v0.4 BETA, which fixes the Malta port error and ASW strikes. This should be playable now. Please delete the old stuff and install the new files.
Attachments
Advanced T..v0.4 cgn.zip
(3.82 MiB) Downloaded 713 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
pzgndr

RE: Advanced Third Reich Beta Mod

Post by pzgndr »

Part II, the rest of the A3R campaign files.

UPDATE 2/27. Updated to v1.01 and fixed Malta port error.

UPDATE 3/4. Updated A3R mod to v0.4 BETA, which fixes the Malta port error and ASW strikes. Files include version notes.
Attachments
_Advanced ...4 files.zip
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Discussion. Most of my playtesting has been AI-versus-AI games on default difficulty. At this point, I am ready to take a break and allow others to try this mod and provide feedback. I would greatly appreciate any comments and game results for both Axis and Allied games on higher (veteran) difficulty.

Specifically, I'm interested in air and naval performance issues. I think the land campaigns are OK but again any comments are welcome. Basically, if I can gather comments over the next month or two, I will get back to this mod and make adjustments. I also need to work on the documentation. Once I get a good release version ready to go, I can then work on the other later year campaign scenarios fairly easily. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

I just downloaded it and started playing. First turn I put an Italian unit into a transport and
went to a port in North Africa. I tried to disembark the unit and the game crashed.

This is the error code---Failed(draw_resource_text_to_buffer)

I think I uploaded the error file.

Attachments
errorlog.txt
(224 Bytes) Downloaded 36 times
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak
I just downloaded it and started playing. First turn I put an Italian unit into a transport and
went to a port in North Africa. I tried to disembark the unit and the game crashed.
This is the error code---Failed(draw_resource_text_to_buffer)

Hi. I will investigate further when I get a chance.

One thing I might suggest is to open the campaign in your editor, update all the AI and event scripts, and resave the campaign. Maybe there's an issue with my update running correctly for you, and others too?

Edit. I just refreshed the cgn file and reposted it above.
Bill Macon
FlightOfIcarus

Post by FlightOfIcarus »

Fantastic work. I particularly like the new map and the unit's greater mobility, wich permits great scale pincers - something somewhat missing from the vanilla version. Congrats Bill!

However, I´m also getting the error (draw_resource_text_to_buffer) everytime I try to move italian units. Seems to be something related from Sicily or North Africa. So far, it has prevented me from playing more than three or four turns. Can I help you to spot the bugger?
"Flight as High as the Sun"
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

OK, I discussed this with Bill Runacre and he suggested reducing the font size to 24 for the larger country and sea names. The new cgn file is posted above. Let me know if this resolves the text buffer error or if we need to do some more troubleshooting? Sorry about all this. It works for me with my 64-bit Win10 system and larger monitor but maybe the problem is with some different configurations.
Bill Macon
dox44

Post by dox44 »

Thanks! really nice.

casebier
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

After installing the updated cgn file the error is still there, at least on my laptop, smaller monitor.
FlightOfIcarus

Post by FlightOfIcarus »

Mine also. I find out that the bug only happens if you move italian units personally; leaving Italy to be controlled by the AI seems to solve it. Not a perfect solution, but it allows you to play this massively fun mod until the end[&o]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I guess the issue is not the text font. I cannot recreate this error. Could someone explain exactly which Italian unit(s) are being moved to get the bug, and please attach a zip file of the ERROR folder with the error log and save? That would help Hubert investigate this when he gets a chance. Thanks.

Is anyone else NOT getting this error and able to play as Axis OK? That might be helpful too for understanding what works and what doesn't.
Bill Macon
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Hi Bill, you may remember that I was getting this same error [see July 12 e-mail]. I don't recall ever solving the issue, but I moved on to other things about the same time.

Attachments
3RM1.jpg
3RM1.jpg (73.03 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
FlightOfIcarus

Post by FlightOfIcarus »

For me it always crash when I try to operate or transport the unit in Tripoli to the frontline near Tobruk, for example.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Alright, I tried another quick test with just the downloaded files active in C:\Users\pzgnd\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns. After starting a game as Axis, it generates a .dat file in \Campaigns and also language/sc3 config setting files in the game folder. OK. Movement of various Italian units via operate, transport and amphib transport fail to give me an error. This is in 64-bit Win10.

Somebody try to open the cgn file in the editor, go to Edit AI/Event Scripts, run Update All for each, and then Save As to resave the campaign. Maybe this will reset things for your system. See if that works and let me know? Else, please provide a save of the error crash so Hubert can investigate. This is odd.
Bill Macon
cwtien

Post by cwtien »

Hi,
I've been trying out your mod. I assume this is a faithful reproduction of Advanced Third Reich - though I've never played that particular game before.

Just one comment from me - it would be great if you can document the surrender requirement for each major nation. On my first run I took Warsaw and was expecting Poland to surrender - but....Poland never did. I had to take 3 cities to force it's surrender.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: cwtien
I've been trying out your mod...
it would be great if you can document the surrender requirement for each major nation

Thanks. Please confirm, since you indicated that you played Axis, that you were able to move Italian units without getting errors? I am still trying to understand what the problem is, and Hubert needs a game save of the error to determine exactly what is wrong so we can fix it.

For surrenders, first review the default game rules. There is a chance based on surviving units that a nation does not surrender right away, which is what you see with Poland. I have added a morale script to hasten France's surrender upon loss of Paris. There is a chance for Italy's surrender based on loss of Tripoli and Allied units landing on mainland Italy. Britain and Russia have alternate capitals to displace to.

And as I mentioned previously, I intend to provide documentation for my mod at some point. For the time being, attached is a copy of my previous design notes for the SC2 Global Conflict GOLD version. Enjoy!
Attachments
A3RGOLDD..gnNotes.zip
(4.83 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
Bill Macon
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

This is getting complicated, as all mods do. It is an inherent flaw in MODS. So , I installed your original MOD, now
what is the process for installing the changes and where are they located?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

This is getting complicated, as all mods do. It is an inherent flaw in MODS. So , I installed your original MOD, now
what is the process for installing the changes and where are they located?

I posted the updated cgn file and instructions in the first post. I can't make it any less complicated. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

I thought that was the original file, and do I need both attachments, from the first and second post?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I thought that was the original file, and do I need both attachments, from the first and second post?

Bump.

I updated the cgn file in the first post. The other campaign files in the second post are still the same. Just use/create C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns folder and extract them there.

I really would appreciate confirmation that this works for others OR please post a zip file of the ERROR folder with the error log and game save so Hubert can investigate the error and we can resolve this. Thanks.
Bill Macon

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”