Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to invade Malta?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> How to invade Malta? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 4:34:28 AM   
RickInVA

OK, I must be missing something here. I have Malta surrounded, zero supply in the ports. There is a British Anti-Air unit on the island. I have an Amphb embarked unit. How do I invade? I can't seem to find a way to attack the unit in Malta.
Post #: 1
RE: How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 5:11:02 AM   
Yogol

You have to kill the anti-air unit with bombers.

The way to do this, is...
- after taking France, move all the German start-bombers to southern Italy
- bomb the anti-air unit every turn (repair in the turns when it rins)
- also attack it with the Italian battleships (the other ships don't seem to do damage)
- always move an Italian ship to the hex between the two port
- also move an amphibious unit next to it and attack with that too
- when the anti-air is at 0, unload the amphibious unit on it

It will take 2-3-4 turns. The unit won't take alot of damage until the supply is at 0. Then the unit will go down bit by bit.

That is also why you need to keep the ship on the hex near the two ports: that prevents the unit from re-supplying through the ports.
You don't have to bomb the ports to 0, just make sure there is a unit next to both ports at the end of each of your turn.

You have to decide yourself if this is all worth it.
Taking Malta will cost quite some MPPs (especially if it took a while to take France and you have to operate the bombers to Italy and then operate them to Russia).
But it will keep North Africa cities on 5, saving the Italians about 10 MPP per turn or so.

< Message edited by Yogol -- 12/11/2016 5:14:22 AM >

(in reply to RickInVA)
Post #: 2
RE: How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 10:22:07 AM   
xwormwood

Your amphib can attack the AA unit as well...

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 3
RE: How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 10:57:51 AM   
Hartmann

... and (when the AA unit is done for) you could also use paratroopers instead of amphib invasion if that seems too risky.

The absolutely most important thing is to cut their supply by getting the port to 0. That's what parking two ships adjacent to the port is for. Before the supply in Malta is down to 0, the unit there will always repair any damage.

Another thing is to not waste expensive ship strength points on bombardments. Bombardments in this game seem off in general atm as the chance that the ships get damaged (instead of the hex they bombard) is ridiculously high. Instead Malta should be bombed by air - despite the AA unit.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 4
RE: How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 11:26:32 AM   
xwormwood

Once the supply level is down to 5, it is no longer possible to repair a unit to full strength. Knowing this is important. A unit with 5 strength point can be very well destroyed by 2 o3 tac bomber attacks (at least if the target is no longer entrenched). It is therefor not necessary to move your naval units next to the ports to get Malta, an HQ, 2 or 3 tac / med bombers, and maybe a strategic bomber should be always enough to do this job.

< Message edited by Xwormwood -- 12/11/2016 11:29:21 AM >

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 5
RE: How to invade Malta? - 12/11/2016 12:22:38 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

Once the supply level is down to 5, it is no longer possible to repair a unit to full strength. Knowing this is important. A unit with 5 strength point can be very well destroyed by 2 o3 tac bomber attacks (at least if the target is no longer entrenched). It is therefor not necessary to move your naval units next to the ports to get Malta, an HQ, 2 or 3 tac / med bombers, and maybe a strategic bomber should be always enough to do this job.

That's what I told myself until the RNG decided it doesn't like me - leaving the AA unit multiple times with 1 strength. That's why I personally now always include blockading. It makes the outcome more predictable and also does not need quite so many air units and a HQ down there. I know: the downside is the risk of Royal Navy interference. But actually, placing those ships kinda works like a bait too, providing the opportunity to get a "Midway"-like naval victory at the same time. The only ports the enemy has in the area are at Malta itself, whereas we can always duck back into the Adriatic or the Thyrenian Sea. Plus with all those air units poised on Malta, we also should have air superiority.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> How to invade Malta? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI