Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/21/2017 2:45:46 PM   
Gunnulf

Turn 90 - 17 Mar 45

Still no snow melt and turns out Shermans and dodge trucks like nothing better than to tear across the snow at breakneck speed. Soon as a gap is made the allies are ten hexes deep behind the lines. Our volkstrumm are clearly not making any impact at all. QBall lets us know that these are motorised infantry and airborne divisions acting as ersatz panzergrenadiers, but it still suprises me that manages to get so far. Universally hexes are either 6 water & 4 snow or 7 water and 3 snow. The Allied pace in snow still seems more akin to a Soviet army right now. Incidentally the Allies are now nearly as close to Berlin as the Soviets but no sign and any troops will be sent from the East front to help unfortunately...

Anyway, looks like we need to transition to a fluid defense and sacrifice some ground to eat up time if we want to hold out. But given that historically the allies were only just crossing the Rhine under Op Varsity then QBall is well ahead of the curve here really now. Looking back he obviously got a months head start but we just about pulled the timeline back on track for the fall of Paris and Antwerp, but maybe it cost us too much to achieve this.

However right now QBall is really pushing his troops hard and this turn alone lost -17 US losses and -10 others. Seems like quite a butchers bill at the point where many Allied units should be getting casualty adverse with the end in sight? Given the adjusting scale of other VP rates I might have been tempting to suggest Allied casualty points shift to 1 per 750 for the US and 1 per 500 for the others in 1945 to punish Allied players being too ready to burn out there units in a final blaze of glory in the race to the end.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 271
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/21/2017 6:39:41 PM   
Gunnulf

The fighting spirit of the panzerwaffe should not be underestimated though and 116 Pz mounts a counterattack and decisively routs 27 Arm Bde in order to clear the path for 2 FJ to withdraw back into the Netherlands pocket. QBall makes continual use of British Arm Bdes and US Scout Regiments as independent pursuit units but they almost never stand up in contact without infantry support. I tend to prefer to attach armoured brigades directly to add punch to infantry divisions, unless they are used as armoured reserve units in defense, but I'm sure there are pros and cons.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 272
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/21/2017 7:44:14 PM   
Gunnulf

So, after the shuffling of units 1st Army and the FJ Army form the Netherlands pocket. Fairly strong so good chance QBall will chose to ignore it I'm sure. In the Reich 15th Army has the north flank and withdraws to screen Bremen. 10th Army is in relatively good shape screening Berlin & Leipzig. Down south 25th Army is largely in disarray but will try to slow the advance on Munich which is busy fortifying with the Jaeger division fresh from Italy. Finally in the deep south 19th Army, also in reasonable shape abandons Colmar to pull back and avoid encirclement, the better to defend Stuttgart a little longer.
That said I expect all these cities to fall before long, and we are certainly entering endgame. Despite the weather, and despite running a large army from limited ports his logistics are just not as constrained as I hoped they might be and he is running rampant.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 273
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/21/2017 8:57:52 PM   
Joel Billings

The good news for the Germans is that the Allies next turn is likely to be in heavy mud. With good roads, it won't be as bad as it is on the Eastern Front, but he should slow down some if you can still build a defensive line.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 274
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/21/2017 9:24:29 PM   
Gunnulf

I hope so, we have been offering sacrifices to the Mud-Gods for weeks now to little avail but it must melt soon...probably...hopefully. We've given up hoping that the allies will show signs of outrunning their logistics though. We still bomb Marseille to keep that at 50% efficiency and Antwerp, Bordeaux, Toulon, Nice, Cherbourg and Brest are still locked up but he's never really showing signs of being short of fuel or ammo.
Either way its going to be tough to build a contiguous line in the centre, its very much all about throwing up whatever blocks we can, make use of heavy woods where possible, and try to remember to rebuild some semblance of a depot structure on the retreat, which is easy to forget in the excitement/confusion for sure. I think we can hold Amsterdam and Berlin, and of course north Italy, for honour rather than points. Everything else I strongly suspect is toast, which I guess is to be expected really. Did I mention we weren't expecting to win anyway? :)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 275
RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) - 4/23/2017 12:09:38 AM   
John B.

No disrespect to the allies who are playing a very good game, but if you factor in the VP that seemed a bit unbalanced from the Strat Bombing campaign you are actually doing very well!

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 276
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Panzers, rückwärts! Gunnulf (GHC) vs QBall (WA) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI