Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help With Air Missions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Help With Air Missions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help With Air Missions - 12/7/2016 11:47:01 PM   
RickInVA

I have read a couple of other comments on the lack of actionable content in the manual and I have to agree, it is often very unhelpful.

Case in point. 6.1.5. Air Reconnaissance Missions

This section informs me that it would be good to do Air Recon. I fully agree. However, it provides no, zero, zilch instruction on how to do so. Is there a special air mission? Is it a mode? Do I just attack random hexes?

I have not played any of the titles in this series before, although I am a long time veteran of war games. I have found this very frustrating. The manual seems to totally assume you already know how to play the game. So much so that I wonder why there is a manual at all.

Sorry if this sounds too rant-y.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/7/2016 11:57:16 PM   
James Taylor

Choose a unit that has at least a strike available and pan out to the hex you want to surveil(limited by range). Click that hex and notice all the hexes along the path and on either side of the path lighten. You have just performed recon and revealed any enemy units in the path of the lightened hexes.

I like to use fighters for this, but maritime and strategic bombers have greater range and double strike capability.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to RickInVA)
Post #: 2
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 12:52:26 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

This section informs me that it would be good to do Air Recon. I fully agree.

lol, I also made a joke about this in some other thread
To be fair, a lot of good work went inot this manual, and I have the hard back copy, which is a real treat. But some of it is written as if we are 8 years old and have never played anything but checkers.
Air reconnaissance missions can be used to locate hidden enemy forces
Ya think ? Who thought that we wouldn't have known this ? And if this info was important enough to put in the manual, why wasn't the instruction on how to do so not at all important ? James Taylor just explained it in three lines, the manual takes up 4 paragraphs telling us that the left shoe goes on the left foot

Love the game.

(in reply to RickInVA)
Post #: 3
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:08:26 PM   
xwormwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

This section informs me that it would be good to do Air Recon. I fully agree.

lol, I also made a joke about this in some other thread
To be fair, a lot of good work went inot this manual, and I have the hard back copy, which is a real treat. But some of it is written as if we are 8 years old and have never played anything but checkers.
Air reconnaissance missions can be used to locate hidden enemy forces
Ya think ? Who thought that we wouldn't have known this ? And if this info was important enough to put in the manual, why wasn't the instruction on how to do so not at all important ? James Taylor just explained it in three lines, the manual takes up 4 paragraphs telling us that the left shoe goes on the left foot

Love the game.

You can only lose when you write a manual. For some it is too spartanic, for others offers the information value like "An iceberg is bad for the Titanic".
I usually explain everything, as logic as it may be. Just to offer a manual which does include everything you need even if you don't have a clue about anything.
Most people never ever read the manual anyway. But in a world where you have to warn every american customer that fresh coffee is HOT and that your car want drive home automatically once you leave your driver seat to sit in the back there is surely the need to explain about what a recon flight will do.
:)

You do a recon flight as long as you left click while the cursor shows the question mark.

Attachment (1)

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:09:11 PM   
Goodmongo

Well if you don't know and the manual doesn't explain it enough then you come to the forums which you did.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:09:22 PM   
xwormwood

If the cursor shows a combat result instead, you will conduct an air strike.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 6
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:14:55 PM   
ILCK

The real problem is that you can be intercepted and given the ferocious rates of air losses you might lose 30% of your air power trying to peek a few hexes away.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 7
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:23:06 PM   
Goodmongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ILCK

The real problem is that you can be intercepted and given the ferocious rates of air losses you might lose 30% of your air power trying to peek a few hexes away.

But the question was not if he should do it, but how can he do it. That said you are right. Best recon is maritime over water as interception is minimal and it is best way to spot surface ships.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 8
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 2:34:42 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodmongo

quote:

But the question was not if he should do it, but how can he do it. That said you are right. Best recon is maritime over water as interception is minimal and it is best way to spot surface ships.

I would like to see a class of recon planes. Inexpensive, hard to intercept so you could scout effectively without using your actual firepower.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 9
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 3:22:16 PM   
elmo3

quote:

I would like to see a class of recon planes. Inexpensive, hard to intercept so you could scout effectively without using your actual firepower.

Agree that you should not have to send a whole Luftflotte or equivalent to recon a hex. Rather than making recon units maybe just give each air unit and CV (size 5 or larger) one free recon within it's range each turn.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 10
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 3:26:43 PM   
xwormwood

These planes would be to mighty. All seeing eyes, cheap too? Kiss FoW good bye...

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 11
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 3:45:56 PM   
Goodmongo

I like that you don't get free recon. Makes you having to make a tough decision. Do I waste a strike on maybe finding something to use that strike against a known target? You can always turn on the option to allow you to build more units. But limited units and limited missions means I have tough choices to make.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 12
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/8/2016 4:42:14 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: RickInVA

I have read a couple of other comments on the lack of actionable content in the manual and I have to agree, it is often very unhelpful.

Case in point. 6.1.5. Air Reconnaissance Missions

This section informs me that it would be good to do Air Recon. I fully agree. However, it provides no, zero, zilch instruction on how to do so. Is there a special air mission? Is it a mode? Do I just attack random hexes?

I have not played any of the titles in this series before, although I am a long time veteran of war games. I have found this very frustrating. The manual seems to totally assume you already know how to play the game. So much so that I wonder why there is a manual at all.

Sorry if this sounds too rant-y.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Hi RickInVA

Sorry about the issue. It is explained in the Tutorial (page 30) and also in the Essential Guide (pages 2-3, also page 40 of the Manual) so I chose, perhaps mistakenly, not to repeat the explanation again at that later stage in the Manual.

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to RickInVA)
Post #: 13
RE: Help With Air Missions - 12/9/2016 12:53:34 PM   
sPzAbt653

Well, maybe there should have been a reference to those technical sections so that the reader would get the idea that there was more elsewhere.

I wonder if anyone is keeping an Errata/Addenda list for the manuals ?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Help With Air Missions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI