War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition on sale!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Chickenboy

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition on sale!

Post by Chickenboy »

For any of you that haven't played this wonderful game, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

At 50% off, it's an absolute steal. It is all you could ask for in a naval sim and comes with a great forum community to boot. It is still supported-which is phenomenal for a game that has been out for 8 years (!?!)

Rumors of this game's complexity are true. It's not for the faint of heart. But it is so, so good.

To summarize: BUY THIS GAME WHILE IT'S ON SALE! [8D]
altipueri

RE: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition on sale!

Post by altipueri »

This was my worst ever purchase. I got a nice thick manual though, at least by today's standards.

You cannot be a casual player with this game, but those who drink the kool aid enough seem to love it.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

This was my worst ever purchase. I got a nice thick manual though, at least by today's standards.

You cannot be a casual player with this game, but those who drink the kool aid enough seem to love it.

It is not a point & click game, to be sure. Any game with a data base that includes darn near every plane, ship, boat, sub, gun, and shell every made would be complex. But folks say that right up front on the forums to anyone looking to buy it. I'm not a fan of the 'kool aid' remark, but I'm sure nothing personal was meant [:'(]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Played it for years but can't get it run good on window's 10. Trying to pick units and give order's.....so slow. [:o]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Will_L_OLD

Post by Will_L_OLD »

Hi Titanwarrior89,

I had problems getting it to run on Windows10 as well but was able to find solid advice that worked
and got it running fine. Here's a couple of forum links that might help you with that lag.

tm.asp?m=4162971
tm.asp?m=4122075
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I used the command line in this one at the end to fix lag issues:

tm.asp?m=4167720

-altFont -px1920 -py1080 -multiaudio -dd_sw -skipVideo -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Worth getting it though, best WWII in the Pacific strategy game there is.
asurob

Post by asurob »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

It is not a point & click game, to be sure. Any game with a data base that includes darn near every plane, ship, boat, sub, gun, and shell every made would be complex. But folks say that right up front on the forums to anyone looking to buy it. I'm not a fan of the 'kool aid' remark, but I'm sure nothing personal was meant [:'(]

Easily and I mean easily the best game purchase I have ever made.

Still have a game going ...a decade later. Well worth the money.

I'm considering a 2nd one just to have another copy!
Carrierbane. I lose more flattops in a week then most players do in a year.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks Will, I'll give it a try. Miss the game, but got tired of trying to make it work.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

This poor guy has his knickers all wadded up.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The game works very well with Windows 10. Even I, a Luddite scared to death by computers and unable to figure out the most basic things, was able (with a quick glance at the Tech sub-forum) to get the switches installed that made the game work smoothly.

I've been playing the AE lineup (UV/WITP/AE) since early 2003. Best game I've ever played by far. It is already a classic, as can be seen by the number of players and the activity on it's forum.

But it's not for everyone. Just as some readers don't like To Kill a Mockingbird and some movie viewers can't stand Casablanca, there is a percentage of the gaming world that won't cotton to this game. Especially those that enjoy beer & pretzels games and those who only enjoy the modern role-playing or shoot-em-up games.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

This poor guy has his knickers all wadded up.

Well with something like 4000 items to be given actions on day 1 (even more if you play the Japs) you do need to be pretty anal retentive, so wadding is pretty sensible.

For those who haven't tried the game there is a first move spreadsheet that you can download from the WITP-AE forum to help you - it was (maybe still?) available in the War Room section. Go on big boys, you know you can do it.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I've been playing the AE lineup (UV/WITP/AE) since early 2003.

Noob. [:'(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

For those who haven't tried the game there is a first move spreadsheet that you can download from the WITP-AE forum to help you - it was (maybe still?) available in the War Room section. Go on big boys, you know you can do it.

Good on you, altipueri. [8D] You are indeed correct-the first turn spreadsheets are provided by Kull on the WiTP:AE site. Send him a PM if you have any questions.

I agree with your baseline sentiment about the non-universal appeal of this game. As others have said, it *really* isn't everyone's cup of tea. My guess is that a relatively larger percentage of the strategy gamers that frequent this site (compared to the general public) would find it approachable because of their predisposition to complex wargames.

It's a whole lot of gaming that some just aren't ready for. But for those that are, this game is a transcendence.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

This thread made me install it again. I had it setup, and with some high recommended mods. Then I got a new computer last year, and when I got back to it, I just did not feel like figuring out the mods again, and the correct command line etc... Well, I got it running last night which is step one, then I will get the mods again sometime in the future, but I have other games higher on the play list now.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
I've been playing the AE lineup (UV/WITP/AE) since early 2003.

Noob. [:'(]

Fourteen years ago, you signed into the forums for the first time...five months ahead of me. And I'm still a newcomer, by that measure, darn it!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt
This thread made me install it again.

Glad to hear it. Will you be buying a copy for someone on your Holiday shopping list too? [;)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Fourteen years ago, you signed into the forums for the first time...five months ahead of me. And I'm still a newcomer, by that measure, darn it!

Ayup.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Been playing this off and on since 2009 I believe. Took me awhile to get use to it, very complex strategy game. Only if you like micromanagement and WWII in the Pacific.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Been playing this off and on since 2009 I believe. Took me awhile to get use to it, very complex strategy game. Only if you like micromanagement and WWII in the Pacific.

Managing the micromanagement is a formidable task at times, but completely worth it!

Return to “General Discussion”