Yet another trining question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Yet another trining question

Post by Chris21wen »

If I set say 10 group to train sweep I expect to see all ten improve the ex, air and def. They do but some also increase Grd. The question is why some and not all. Not all groups are the same type of fighter, neither do they have the same altitude (all above >=10K) but they are all the same nationality. I've tried for a long time to find the reason but cannot.

I've even tried units in the same base at the same altitude, type etc. The only thing left is the commander.
Chris21wen

RE: Yet another trining question

Post by Chris21wen »

It's not just gndB training. In this example the unit has predominantly trained staf. It's altitude is 15K. This is not a complaint nor a report of a bug. I just cannot work out why.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 29 times
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Different pilots/crews train at different rates. Some are particularly talented and will exceed expectations. Others will be sluggards and you may end up assigning them to transport duty. You have to identify who is who, transfer those pilots/crews to other squadrons to train for other skills as soon as they are ready and leave the sluggards behind.

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

I guess Sweep + 10k makes them use not only guns for strafing but also bombs, hence rare GrdB increases? This is assuming you did not pull some pilots out of reserve with GrdB trained in some other units this month. I see other skills like ASW had trained for some. Suggesting some of boys got some General training.

I have never seen pilots improving in skill other that what I expect them to train. Granted, I do not use Sweep at 10k+, only at 100m. Pilots train Staf and Def this way and nothing else.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

We don't use metric much in this game. We should use it exclusively. Has anyone ever heard of a nautical kilometer? I feel training fighter pilots at 100 as well as 1000 improves Def skills in a hurry and should be done if you have the opportunity. However, most of the time I disapprove of fighters attacking at either 100 or 1000 as, in my view, the hazards and risks are prohibitive. Whatever, training at low altitude has benefits. Regardless, some pilots/crews train much more efficiently than others. Any training squadron is apt to have pilots who graduate early and others who just have a hard time getting it. You cannot, or rather should not graduate a training squadron as a class, as if it were college. Graduate the individuals, when they earn it, put them in the pool and have another squadron acquire them for further training in another skill they lack. There is no more efficient way I have discovered for that. If you keep a squadron of trainees together throughout the training process, you will get some real honeys at the end, but also some recruits who are still raw. It just doesn't work (well) that way.

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

It's not just gndB training. In this example the unit has predominantly trained staf. It's altitude is 15K. This is not a complaint nor a report of a bug. I just cannot work out why.

1. Pilots brought in from General Reserve/another unit will show what ever training they have had elsewhere that month.

2. Pilots in a unit on 100% training which is bombed by the enemy very rarely may obtain a training boost based on the enemy action.

3. In the screenshot posted the pilots only gained improvements in the air skill. This is expected as the altitude is 15k. The strafing skill is only improved when training occurs at 100' irrespective of the type of training mission undertaken.

4. There is always the potential for some randomness to occur. This has nothing to do with the unit leader traits.

5. Where the pilot experience level is significantly higher than his best skill then a skill based on the group's mission might instead receive the accumulated points. The group mission may be based on what it was assigned before the training mission was selected. Much depends on the route adopted for training.

Leader traits are basically not involved in these slightly, and uncommon, deviations.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

1. Pilots brought in from General Reserve/another unit will show what ever training they have had elsewhere that month.

2. Pilots in a unit on 100% training which is bombed by the enemy very rarely may obtain a training boost based on the enemy action.

3. In the screenshot posted the pilots only gained improvements in the air skill. This is expected as the altitude is 15k. The strafing skill is only improved when training occurs at 100' irrespective of the type of training mission undertaken.

4. There is always the potential for some randomness to occur. This has nothing to do with the unit leader traits.

5. Where the pilot experience level is significantly higher than his best skill then a skill based on the group's mission might instead receive the accumulated points. The group mission may be based on what it was assigned before the training mission was selected. Much depends on the route adopted for training.

Leader traits are basically not involved in these slightly, and uncommon, deviations.

Alfred

Thanks for that, item 5 I did not know.

Thanks for that, item 5 I did not know.

As for the rest the unit started the month as a P-40E in combat mode (40 cap 20 rest) close to the front but had not seen any. It had a full complement a/c and men, morale 99 fat 3, exp 50. It was transferred to Melbourne on the 7th being replaced with the P-38H. The only thing I can think off is I must have had the unit training at low altitude at some time in the month but it wasn't during the last 10 days (wish I could remember exactly what the colours mean).
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Chris H
wish I could remember exactly what the colours mean).
Green = skill increased last turn, brown = skill increased this calendar month

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”