Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My 1942 russian invasion force...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> My 1942 russian invasion force... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My 1942 russian invasion force... - 11/30/2016 11:40:53 AM   
Yogol

Hi!

Updated with new questions, as my play-through of the game continues...

Q: When do you attack Russia and with which force?
I am going to wait till 1942 to attack Russia: my German troops from Greece & Youguslavia will be back then and my Germans troops that took Sweden too.

This should make my invation force...
- all HQs you can buy (minus the one in Africa)
- all armies you can buy (minus 3 in Africa)
- all tanks you can buy (minus 2 in Africa)
- all start-corpses (minus 3 in Africa) (didn't buy any extra)
- all start-bombers (didn't buy any extra)
- all start-fighters (minus 1 in Africa) (didn't buy any extra)
- the African recon unit (didn't buy any extra)
- the African anti-tank unit (didn't buy any extra)

Answered questions...
Q: How do you undo a move?
A: CTRL-Z (but you got to do it before you go deselect the unit & naval movements can't be undone)

Q: Do you only get the tech when your research bar it hits 100?
No, you can can you get a hit earlier, at 45% or more (it will say "breakthrough" in the popup if it's an early hit).
It's random, but the odds are better when you got Spying & Intel.

Q: How exactly do I bomb Malta? The Italian bomber is in the city, the fleet is there, but I do not get the option to attack Malta.
A: Wait till Italy joins the war (d'oh).

Q: How do I stop the royal navy from destroying my entire German navy when I go protect my Norway supplies?
A: Wait till France surrenders, so the French navy doesn't join them. Till then, just cringe.

Q: How do you force-march a unit?
A: Double left-click on it.

Q: Where should I place garrisons to prevent any partisans from popping up as a unit? And where should I place extra garrisons to minimize possible partisans disruption.
A: Hit "p" to see the partisan hexes.

Q: Is there a way to defend Iraq?
A: No. You can invest the 50MP when asked, but this only slows down the UK, marginally.

Q: How do you do damage to the Malta air-defence?
A: Bomb it with the entire Luftwaffe, keep a ship next to the ports to prevent repairs and use an amfibious corps/army to do damage.

Q: Can Sweden or Hungary ever join the Axis peacefully, persuaded with diplomacy?
Yes, but it's best to spend your diplomacy on countries like Turkey & Spain, because they both come with an army, when you persuade them to join you.
You absolutely need to have Finland at least on +1 Axis when you declare war to Russia, else Finland doesn't join yourt side immediatly. And those extra Finnish troops are great to help take Leningrad (which should be one of your first-priority targets).

Q: What to do with the Italians?
Personally, I do two things: first, I repair their fleet and take out the UK fleet around Egypt.
Aside from that, I evacuate Italy out of North Africa as soon as the German force is there (there just isn't room for two forces there). And I buy all armies and go to southern Russia with them (I don't bother buying corpses).

Of course, I also buy all their garrisons: I buy all garrisons from all countries: between France, Spain, Greece, Hungary and of course Russia, you need alot of garrisons.

< Message edited by Yogol -- 12/4/2016 4:47:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Questions... - 11/30/2016 11:51:51 AM   
vonRocko

Hi Yogol, welcome to the forum.
I haven't had a tech before hitting 100%, so I believe there is no random hit.
To get a unit to force march, double left click on it.
Press the "P" button to show you the partisan hexes to put garrisons on.
Hope this helps, have fun.

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions... - 11/30/2016 11:57:23 AM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Hi Yogol, welcome to the forum.
I haven't had a tech before hitting 100%, so I believe there is no random hit.
To get a unit to force march, double left click on it.
Press the "P" button to show you the partisan hexes to put garrisons on.
Hope this helps, have fun.

Thanks for the quick and precise answers!

One more... how do you undo a move?

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions... - 11/30/2016 2:29:04 PM   
n0kn0k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

Hi!

Old SC-player here, with some questions that I couldn't get find the answer too...

Q: How do you undo a move? CTRL + Z

Q: Do you only get the tech when your research bar it hits 100? Or can you get it earlier (by a random hit, like you could in previous versions)?
I ask because I have never gotten any random hit so far :(

If you have more then 45% researched you get a chance for hits. Research spying & intel to increase the chance.

Answered questions...
Q: How exactly do I bomb Malta? The Italian bomber is in the city, the fleet is there, but I do not get the option to attack Malta.
A: Wait till Italy joins the war (d'oh).

Q: How do I stop the royal navy from destroying my entire German navy when I go protect my Norway supplies?
A: Wait till France surrenders, so the French navy doesn't join them. Till then, just cringe.

Q: How do you force-march a unit?
A: Double left-click on it.

Q: Where should I place garrisons to prevent any partisans from popping up as a unit? And where should I place extra garrisons to minimize possible partisans disruption.
A: Hit "p" to see the partisan hexes.

< Message edited by n0kn0k -- 11/30/2016 2:30:03 PM >

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions... - 11/30/2016 10:17:48 PM   
vonRocko

Thanks for clearing up the research question n0kn0k. I must have bad luck with research, I have yet to get an early one.

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions... - 12/1/2016 7:50:08 AM   
Yogol

Thanks for the replies!

So... spying it is!

I am big on research: I invested the maximum 2,000MP in it, even before I started in France, lol.
Tech pays off in wars, more than numbers.

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions... - 12/1/2016 3:08:07 PM   
Goodmongo

There is a whole thread devoted to Malta. Please read through that thread for your answers. As for Iraq it's a bad decision to invest the MPP there. Nothing can save it.

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions... - 12/1/2016 8:39:50 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodmongo

As for Iraq it's a bad decision to invest the MPP there. Nothing can save it.

It can delay the recapture of Iraq - depriving the UK of its Iraqi MPPs for quite some time. Thus even though Iraq cannot be held, the decision might not be all that bad. I confess I personally never used it either, though.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 8
RE: New questions... - 12/2/2016 8:15:08 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Do you only get the tech when your research bar it hits 100?

And if you get one before it hits 100%, you'll see this 'breakthrough' message:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 9
RE: New questions... - 12/3/2016 5:12:45 AM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

Do you only get the tech when your research bar it hits 100?

And if you get one before it hits 100%, you'll see this 'breakthrough' message:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've had quite a few premature hits, more than expected. Intelligence & Spying for the win!

< Message edited by Yogol -- 12/3/2016 5:13:01 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: New questions... - 12/3/2016 5:27:43 AM   
n0kn0k

quote:

Q: Can Sweden ever join the Axis peacefully?
Can they be persuaded with diplomacy?

Q: Can Hungary ever join the Axis peacefully?
Can they be persuaded with diplomacy?

Q: What do you guys do with the Italians?
Do you research infantry? Only use their troops as garrisons?
Do you use their fleet, other than for Malta? Upgrade the fleet?

1 & 2: Any country can be a target of diplomacy.
But some might have some events scripted that will alter their % by alot so it's not wise to go for those.
And other countries simply are not worth it.
There's alot of posts that state the valuable diplomatic targets like Spain and Turkey.
Major opponents like US, USSR etc can be influenced to stay out of the war a bit longer,
but never really turned to your side before war breaks out.

3: Depends on the player. Some will go fullout on naval development, some go with a mix.
U will need every unit you can get though in the east.
I tend to go for naval development myself, to keep the US off my back.
But there is no wrong or wright here. As long as you put the units to use and do MPP damage.

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 11
RE: New questions... - 12/3/2016 9:08:18 AM   
Hartmann

Hungary joining the Allies in 1940 sounds strange, though. Even if the Allies would invest alot of chits into Hungary (for some strange and unfathomable reason), it should not work that fast.

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 12
RE: New questions... - 12/4/2016 4:39:49 PM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k

1 & 2: Any country can be a target of diplomacy.
But some might have some events scripted that will alter their % by alot so it's not wise to go for those.
And other countries simply are not worth it.
There's alot of posts that state the valuable diplomatic targets like Spain and Turkey.
Major opponents like US, USSR etc can be influenced to stay out of the war a bit longer,
but never really turned to your side before war breaks out.

3: Depends on the player. Some will go fullout on naval development, some go with a mix.
U will need every unit you can get though in the east.
I tend to go for naval development myself, to keep the US off my back.
But there is no wrong or wright here. As long as you put the units to use and do MPP damage.

Thanks!
In previous versions of SC, North Africa was a no-brainer for Italy, but it's unclear in this version. Time will tell, I guess.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

Hungary joining the Allies in 1940 sounds strange, though. Even if the Allies would invest alot of chits into Hungary (for some strange and unfathomable reason), it should not work that fast.

I meant Yougoslavia, sorry.
They stay put at 45% and then -all of a sudden- there is a pro-allied couip and they declare war on me.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 13
RE: New questions... - 12/5/2016 3:32:06 PM   
Goodmongo

Keep the Italians in North Africa. Their fighter helps and you put their units int he fronts lines when you need to repair the German units. Then after the Germans are repaired and ready attack once with the Italians and move them back for repair. I can kill 1-2 UK units on that turn doing this. Soon you punch through next to Cairo and you then really want the Italians as the front line is much longer now.

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 14
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 3:05:48 PM   
Yogol

Anyone else can compare their 1942 invasion force?
Or does everyone invades Russia in 1941?

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 15
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 3:28:12 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

Anyone else can compare their 1942 invasion force?
Or does everyone invades Russia in 1941?

Sorry, the only reason for me to invade in 42 once was when I was doing Sealion and I didn't quite take notes how my invasion force looked. I had been pumping lots of MPPs into my navy and airforce, so my 42 ground force was probably not much bigger (though better teched up) than what I'd already could have had available in 41. Consequently, after initial successes, the Russian campaign stalled and was dragged out quite a bit too. (It still worked out well eventually, especially as Egypt fell too.)

< Message edited by Hartmann -- 12/10/2016 3:31:00 PM >

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 16
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 5:01:12 PM   
n0kn0k

quote:

I meant Yougoslavia, sorry.
They stay put at 45% and then -all of a sudden- there is a pro-allied couip and they declare war on me.

You can use diplomacy to prevent that.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 17
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 5:16:49 PM   
James Taylor

I have tried to bring Yugoslavia into the Axis realm, without success. Putting all of Germany's chits and Italians after they join, only gets me to perhaps 70% and then they join the Allies with "the event".

So, no use, save your diplomacy for Spain and Turkey, Sweden too.

I would like to see a possibility of "the event" being overcome by a certain % of Axis leaning, maybe variable per game, so that the Axis player could be enticed to invest in diplomacy to get Yugo to join. It would of course be a dubious use of MPPs.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 18
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 6:01:34 PM   
Hartmann

Even if one can theoretically prevent Yugoslavia from having the coup, it isn't really worth all the chits. Also, they might probably not join the Axis, but just stay neutral with a pro-Axis leaning - and then they'd just be blocking the road to Greece.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 19
RE: New questions... - 12/10/2016 6:12:01 PM   
James Taylor

I don't know Hartmann, we'd need to see what assets Yugo brings to the Axis table.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 20
RE: New questions... - 12/11/2016 1:27:58 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

I have tried to bring Yugoslavia into the Axis realm, without success. Putting all of Germany's chits and Italians after they join, only gets me to perhaps 70% and then they join the Allies with "the event".

I would like to see a possibility of "the event" being overcome by a certain % of Axis leaning, maybe variable per game, so that the Axis player could be enticed to invest in diplomacy to get Yugo to join. It would of course be a dubious use of MPPs.

Historically they were leaning toward the Axis. They actually joined the Axis for a few days Which would mean that they were at 100% in game terms.

So I do not see how a lower percentage should make a difference if the event fires or not.

I would say that it would matter more in how many chits were invested by both sides. So it would be more of an unknown by both sides. If the Axis have X more than the Allies at the time of the event firing then it does not happen.

Since joining the Axis and the coup were so close, you could use something like this.

- Yugo joins the Axis (like historical)
- If the Axis have X more chits invested than the Allies, Yugo stays Axis
- Otherwise it flips to Allied control

This would represent the Axis having to put more MMPs in than they historically did.

Another way would be just to have another event occur. If Germany invests X MMP over Y turns, then the other event will not fire.

Just some ideas

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 21
RE: New questions... - 12/17/2016 12:20:25 AM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

Historically they were leaning toward the Axis. They actually joined the Axis for a few days Which would mean that they were at 100% in game terms.

So I do not see how a lower percentage should make a difference if the event fires or not.

I would say that it would matter more in how many chits were invested by both sides. So it would be more of an unknown by both sides. If the Axis have X more than the Allies at the time of the event firing then it does not happen.

Since joining the Axis and the coup were so close, you could use something like this.

- Yugo joins the Axis (like historical)
- If the Axis have X more chits invested than the Allies, Yugo stays Axis
- Otherwise it flips to Allied control

This would represent the Axis having to put more MMPs in than they historically did.

Another way would be just to have another event occur. If Germany invests X MMP over Y turns, then the other event will not fire.

Just some ideas

Yes, that would make sense... like "If you invest x chits in Yugoslavia", they'll join.
But that is not possible in the current editor (or at least, I don't see how, I do not claim to be an editor-expert at all).

But the way things are now, diplomacy on them is useless :(

And diplomacy as a whole is too unpredictable to my taste.

- Spain.
In my first game, Spain joined in 1941, so I could take Gibraltar and Portugal with them, which provided a truckload of MPPs!
In my current game, my diplomacy chits are stuck in Spain: 3 for Germany, 3 for Italy and they still haven't joined me in December 1941. I didn't even declare war on Vichy or anything.

- Turkey.
In my first game, Turkey joined in 1943, which gave a nice MPP boost too.
In my current game, I can't convince Turkey, cause all my chits are in Spain :(

- Sweden.
In my first game, I invaded Sweden before I took on Russia.
In my current game, I don't have the MPPs to do this: it takes about 500 MPP to get your troops in and out of Sweden. You earn this back over time, but I simply don't have the 500 MPP to spare in this second game :(

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 22
RE: New questions... - 12/17/2016 12:24:38 AM   
Yogol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

Sorry, the only reason for me to invade in 42 once was when I was doing Sealion and I didn't quite take notes how my invasion force looked. I had been pumping lots of MPPs into my navy and airforce, so my 42 ground force was probably not much bigger (though better teched up) than what I'd already could have had available in 41. Consequently, after initial successes, the Russian campaign stalled and was dragged out quite a bit too. (It still worked out well eventually, especially as Egypt fell too.)

Yeah, Sealion is on the TODO of my next-next game.
It doesn't look all THAT hard: I once turned off Fog Of War after the fall of France and the UK didn't seem all that well defended to me.
Even if you don't get a hit in Amphibious tech, crossing the channel with 3 units should be enough to conquer one port (oddly enough, London seems the easiest).

And I don't think you need all that much navy: you'll need some good fighters to counter his air, but all-in-all, the German navy should be sufficient to cover a Sealion, it seems.
We'll see!

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> My 1942 russian invasion force... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI