Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Early war build strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Early war build strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Early war build strategy - 11/22/2016 7:00:13 PM   
Jim D Burns

As an experiment I started a new axis campaign and decided not to spend points on any upgrades for my units. I just built basic armor and mech and was able to attack France with 7 armor and 2 mech. I upgraded weapons the turn before the attack, better to get them into production as cheap as possible and upgrade later, otherwise you won't be ab le to afford as many units before the attack on France.

I'm now of the opinion that early upgrades whether for on map units or new builds is a bad strategy. Before I had been spending hundreds if not thousands on upgrading and found myself short of units when I went into Russia. So now I'll build basic units first and upgrade later after I have a large army on map.

I also advocate not motorizing your units at all until much later. The added benefit of a hex or two does not mitigate the very high cost of the upgrade. Wait until you've researched several levels of the tech that reduces upgrade costs, it can save you thousands over the course of the game if you wait till you have a 15%-20% discount on the cost.

Just some food for thought.

Jim

Post #: 1
RE: Early war build strategy - 11/22/2016 10:43:47 PM   
abulbulian

Yes Jim. I think you're either on to something or 'on something' . Leaning to the former. The Soviet union is vast and having the extra units to push and surround enemy units is very helpful. Germany will be stretched with units to hold territory later in the game. Some basic combat tech for Infantry and Armor is needed, but it's possible to wait a bit on it to get the units on the production lines.

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2
RE: Early war build strategy - 11/23/2016 12:10:13 AM   
budd

I think you might be right. I finished off France in July and moved everything east and before France i upgraded all my units and now i'm looking at Russia and how many units i have and thinking this aint gonna work...we'll see.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 3
RE: Early war build strategy - 11/23/2016 3:57:45 AM   
n0kn0k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

As an experiment I started a new axis campaign and decided not to spend points on any upgrades for my units. I just built basic armor and mech and was able to attack France with 7 armor and 2 mech. I upgraded weapons the turn before the attack, better to get them into production as cheap as possible and upgrade later, otherwise you won't be ab le to afford as many units before the attack on France.

I'm now of the opinion that early upgrades whether for on map units or new builds is a bad strategy. Before I had been spending hundreds if not thousands on upgrading and found myself short of units when I went into Russia. So now I'll build basic units first and upgrade later after I have a large army on map.

I also advocate not motorizing your units at all until much later. The added benefit of a hex or two does not mitigate the very high cost of the upgrade. Wait until you've researched several levels of the tech that reduces upgrade costs, it can save you thousands over the course of the game if you wait till you have a 15%-20% discount on the cost.

Just some food for thought.

Jim

I tend to upgrade motorisation early and avoid operational movement costs to pay for it. Not sure which is better as Axis. As the Alies it's better to wait for sure.

Post #: 4
RE: Early war build strategy - 11/23/2016 5:55:01 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k
I tend to upgrade motorisation early and avoid operational movement costs to pay for it. Not sure which is better as Axis. As the Alies it's better to wait for sure.

I found that by building so much armor and mech, I didn't need the at start armies to come from Poland. So just move the corps and the few armies that start already motorized and you have plenty of power to take down France. Just make sure you don't spend any money on repairs, tech or upgrades until a couple turns before you attack.

Any of the inf corps and the few armies with motorized upgrades have enough AP to make the move cross country if you leave them on roads/rails. So they don't need to pay for rail moves. It's a pain marching them but the money you save adds a lot of units to your Russia attack.

Using this strategy I had all but 5 or so corps built, all armor, all mech and all artillery and Rocket batteries were also built and on map by June 41. I also had 1 new fighter unit.

On top of that all inf was already upgraded at tech 1 and tech 2 finished researching as I started the attack. Armor was at tech 2 and already upgraded for the attack into Russia.

It's all about timing, get the long term builds done and on the reinforcement track first, then focus on tech/diplomacy and do repairs/upgrades right before you launch a planned attack.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/23/2016 6:09:49 AM >

(in reply to n0kn0k)
Post #: 5
RE: Early war build strategy - 11/23/2016 12:19:19 PM   
n0kn0k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k

I found that by building so much armor and mech, I didn't need the at start armies to come from Poland. So just move the corps and the few armies that start already motorized and you have plenty of power to take down France. Just make sure you don't spend any money on repairs, tech or upgrades until a couple turns before you attack.

Any of the inf corps and the few armies with motorized upgrades have enough AP to make the move cross country if you leave them on roads/rails. So they don't need to pay for rail moves. It's a pain marching them but the money you save adds a lot of units to your Russia attack.

Using this strategy I had all but 5 or so corps built, all armor, all mech and all artillery and Rocket batteries were also built and on map by June 41. I also had 1 new fighter unit.

On top of that all inf was already upgraded at tech 1 and tech 2 finished researching as I started the attack. Armor was at tech 2 and already upgraded for the attack into Russia.

It's all about timing, get the long term builds done and on the reinforcement track first, then focus on tech/diplomacy and do repairs/upgrades right before you launch a planned attack.

Jim

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've been going for research maxed + unit upgrades sofar.
It would be interesting to change that around for one game.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Early war build strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI