Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: GD1938 Game 26

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD1938 Game 26 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 7:06:39 AM   
ernieschwitz

Let's end this discussion by the Soviets simply stating that we are not interested in a peace with Poland. No cities have been "juggled" and the attacks made by me, are as I view them the ones neccesary.

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 31
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 7:21:17 AM   
ernieschwitz

Regarding the slow progress... you yourself are to blame. Firstly by not keeping to our agreement of the partition of Poland. No time of attack had been agreed, and the Soviets were as much allowed to attack when they wished as the Germans.

As for the switch of Danzig, to Polish hands, that had more to do with the extraordinary pressure from the German Navy, that shelled the Soviets with impunity. Many of the troops in Poland had to withdraw to prevent a presumed German invasion by sea of the Soviet Union itself, and its new conquests.

Finally the "buffer" that is preventing the Germans from Steamrolling the Soviets through Poland, is a logical choice. Why play the fool, and let you unleash hell apon me?

As for Warsaw, not one turn has passed where I did not shell Warsaw, but with the state of the Soviet military, you yourself would probably not attack it, with the few forces you have left me in Poland. Instead I have opted for a starvation tactic. A siege. Something that is now making me able to slowly take the rest of Poland, and eventually Danzig again.

So in a way, your actions, are the reasons why it is going seemingly so slow.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 32
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 11:18:48 AM   
ironduke1955

Well this would make some sense if we had a agreement to partition Poland I remember you raised the issue but as far as I know I made no response for obvious reasons. The first being that I would have to Declare War on the western allies in 1938 something I had no intention doing, or if I did respond it would have been along the lines of yes of course we can partition Poland as and when the Germans are ready for a war. My view of the incident that it was a attempt to railroad Germany into a early war so I was not going to touch a attack on Poland with a barge pole. And from memory you agreed that no date for a attack on Poland had been agreed. I think you put it down to a impulsive rush of blood to the head. Beside a precursor to all of this is a alliance between the Soviets and Germany to that terrain can be adjusted a clear territorial borderline nothing like this is in place. And the little matter of a Declaration of War on Germany and the annexing of German territory

As I said at the time the Soviets are now German enemy number one that has not changed.

Post #: 33
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 1:22:13 PM   
ernieschwitz

The taking of the miniscule city of Königsberg, was merely a result of the Rumanians coming under German control. Would I want a common border with a country that viewed it as its prime opponent. And it was very convienient that you left Königsberg, and all of East Prussia ... without a single German soldier...

So you tell me, who provoked the war?

Post #: 34
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 2:31:15 PM   
ironduke1955

Ok seriously I left a city ungarrison that was a reason to declare war that was the provocation that caused the Soviets to declare war ? I would have thought leaving a strong force of Germans could equally be a provocation and you could equally claim that provocation was the reason you declared war. Romania at the time of the Soviet invasion of Poland was neutral. With the subsequent war declared by the Soviet Union a handover of Bessarabia seems highly unlikely.

Bottom line the Soviet Union declares war on Poland with no prior agreement with the Germans, then declares War on Germany annexing Konigsberg a German city. Something to bare in mind if you wish to avoid war with the Germans declaring war on them is a funny way of going about it. This my 28th game I not seen a Soviet player climb into the face of the Germans so aggressively, normally its Finland or the Baltic states or Turkey. But to go straight for Poland with two German cities Warsaw and a precious coal resource at stake. Well you've got balls I will give you that much.

Post #: 35
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/18/2017 4:31:06 PM   
ernieschwitz

As stated above, the provocation was the take-over of Rumania.

Post #: 36
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/24/2017 7:39:41 PM   
cpdeyoung

6 February 1939

The Poles joyously recovered land abandoned by the Soviets. They went too far trying to enter Krakow, suffering greater losses than they caused. Artillery and air strikes hastened the Reds on their way.

The French and British noticed significant Italian activity in North Africa, and will watch developments.

Post #: 37
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/25/2017 6:25:23 AM   
ironduke1955

March 1939

Krakow is liberated for the poles but will remain under German tempus imperium while the Soviet threat remains.

It is not a shock that the British have noticed Italian forces on Italian Sovereign territory. As the British are on the borders of and off the coast of Italian territory. The Italians are not interested in where British forces are we know they have them but can't be bothered to keep telling the world where they are.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 38
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 1:53:30 PM   
cpdeyoung

To my fellow players :

The house rules we are playing under are curious, and have led this game in an unusual direction. With American isolation ended, and a Polish offer of peace to the USSR, I have some questions.

Can Great Britain, France, and the United States ever declare war, ever?
Can Great Britain, France, and the United States ever donate units to allies, like the USSR and China?

If we come to the conclusion that Great Britain, France, and the United States are now locked in an isolationism far more stringent than that the USA recently escaped, could the active players please set a very fast pace so we can get to the point where Bombur and I can actually play GD1938. I propose that in March 1940 all restriction on sovereign nations be lifted. This gives the USSR, Germany-Italy, Japan and China a full year to play in their sandbox.

How say you, gentlemen?

Chuck

Post #: 39
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 2:55:24 PM   
ernieschwitz

Sorry, the long turns are my fault. There have been a number of projects holding me back, so I really couldn't do it much faster. Also I need time for making the new version of GD 1938, that everybody (and Tom) seems to be really waiting for. Maybe you need another player for the USSR?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 40
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 4:56:36 PM   
ironduke1955

I would be more sympathetic to such a change in game twenty sixes house rules if the Germans had attacked the Soviets, as they did not and were attacked by the Soviets, who had just invaded Poland a British ally, The British and French (Lets not kid ourselves we are talking about attacking Germany and Italy) asking for permission to attack the Germans in March 1940 has no logical basis. As things stand a war between Hitlers Germany and the West may well be on the cards in the distant future assuming they are victorious against the Soviets, and there is no guarantee that they will be.

Couple of questions to answer in the above scenario would Churchill have intervened, most certainly not he would rubbed his hands in glee that two potential enemies were ripping each other apart.

Why would the USA intervene assuming they could, and that is not certain as they are still neutral and could still be well into 1941. The USA even in 1939 had a very dim view of Communism.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 41
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 5:24:07 PM   
ernieschwitz

I have to agree with Tom. If anything the French and British would jump at this chance, and try to install a new (puppet perhaps) Tsar, ending the shortlived reign of the Soviet Union. History shows that they tried to do that exacat thing, before the Soviet Union was fully formed, no reason they wouldn't try that against what would be viewed as a (power) hungry USSR...

But in game terms, and in view of balance, perhaps it would be better as Chuck suggests. There is the issue of the Versaille treaty being broken, as Germany clearly has built up it's military to unacceptable proportions... The French might be more inclined to that view.

Post #: 42
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 6:35:19 PM   
cpdeyoung

I do understand what you are saying, and I have sympathy.

You have come up with some interesting historical arguments but we are playing with new victory conditions so all that stuff is just fluff.

9+4+9+11+6+21+14+5+16=95VP total.
11+6+21+14+5=57 is the allied total now. 60% of total VP.
9+4+9=22 is the Axis total.

The Allies can win with 62.7 (63) of the 95 VP, and I think we can get there before the GR-IT-JP crowd can alter the numbers much. I know GB will have another VP next month, and GB has an excellent chance at another soon. The USA has a few that they are close to also. I think it will be a race between the warriors and the diplomats, and I think we can win the race.

We do not have to run such a race. Let all the players have a chance to fight in a year and everyone will be happier.

Chuck

Post #: 43
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 7:52:26 PM   
Bombur

Remember that we need 66% of the total VP, not only VP owned by Great Powers. Since we, now have a four part alliance(China, UK, USA, France) we will need about 160 points to win, however, one of the players must have at least 30% (If I remember well total VP to win, so it won´t be easy to achieve peacefully such a victory. Let me say I´m against house rules for this game, I prefer free alliances, if we use the new victory conditions.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 44
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 7:59:41 PM   
ironduke1955

To be Clear the USA UK and France are those part of the calculated 95VP ?

Just need to be clear the USA may not enter the War until 1941 so their Victory Points are not in the Bag, they may not wish to join a war against Germany and Italy after all these nations again are not the aggressors, they may in fact join the Germans and Italians or even the Japanese, also the Japanese have a voice in this as well they may tip the Victory points calculation even if the optimistic version of events put out by the British player come to pass.

"Think it will be a race between the warriors and the diplomats, and I think we can win the race."

And of course here we are early game talking about changes to agreed house rules. Way to spoil a game I am happy to restart but as every move until now has been based on the agreed house rules to change them now would unhinge the balance of the game.

And finally this is not a game of Axis and Allies the Geo Political situations generated by the mod vary from game to game and player to player time we dropped the term Axis, it infers a requirement from certain countries to act in a certain historical way that is not relevant to the free form nature of the mod.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 45
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 8:13:46 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

And finally this is not a game of Axis and Allies the Geo Political situations generated by the mod vary from game to game and player to player time we dropped the term Axis, it infers a requirement from certain countries to act in a certain historical way that is not relevant to the free form nature of the mod.

Actually the house rules put in place was to ensure that we had an Axis/Allies/Communist type game. I am not a proponent of a "free form game". That is more Alexandres turf, to be honest. I consider a free form game like this to be an abomination. This was never meant to be Risk. This was meant to be a what-if WW2 experience.

Alexandre on the other hand may be thrilled. I am not so.

Post #: 46
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 8:41:32 PM   
ironduke1955

It would be nice to be able to model ATG to perfectly represent the Second World War but it simply cannot be done, its why we are where we are, with Free Form. And I put the following argument in favour of free form and the GD1938 MOD.

The Second World War was a unbalanced conflict in resources manpower and material the Allied powers should win nine times out of ten, with free form new and dynamic alliances can be formed it dosn't get staid or boring because it never follows the same pattern, and as such is more like real History, History is like Chaos theory small changes causing seismic shifts in events. You can try and force players to follow a set of historical triggers and push them down channels to reach a historically acceptable result. But its not real history that's dynamic. And it ignores the greatest strength of GD1938 the equipment modelling that allows players to pick and chose famous names like the T34 Tiger and Sherman in all there incarnations. That's why I play not for its historical authenticity but the chance to fight using modelled equipment of the day. And to my mind that is where GD1938 could expand to include more versions and variants and even some what ifs. That's why I play that's what I enjoy the stars of the MOD are the men planes tanks and ships.

Post #: 47
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:01:58 PM   
ernieschwitz

... That may be your wish. But without the 1000s of lines of code, what would GD 1938 be? Not the game you are playing right now...

Post #: 48
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:11:14 PM   
ironduke1955

Not the game you are playing right now ?

Well does this sound like a attempt to replicate the second world war.

1938 March the Soviet Union invades Poland.

1938 August the Soviet Union declares war on Germany.

As I said chaos theory at work.

Post #: 49
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:19:53 PM   
Bombur

I cannot enter the war before 1941 but there is nothing preventing me from making alliances with other players, and, if we annex peacefully other countries then it would be possible we win. Big trouble is....if we annex everything we can but fail to win...well, we have a situation where The Axis must attack us or the game ends in a draw.
Btw, I saw no house rule preventing me from entering the war only 1941, I can enter as soon one of my allies is attacked (if I read the rules correctly)

< Message edited by Bombur -- 1/28/2017 9:22:47 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:22:19 PM   
Bombur

The game can be playable both as a sandbox and a simulation of WW2, however, if we want a better simulation of WW2 it would be better to play with the old victory conditions and, maybe, some restrictions on what territory to be given to allies.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 51
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:50:13 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

Not the game you are playing right now ?

Well does this sound like a attempt to replicate the second world war.

1938 March the Soviet Union invades Poland.

1938 August the Soviet Union declares war on Germany.

As I said chaos theory at work.

Yeah, you just don't sound very appreciative of the many hours I poured into this, but very appreciative of the hard work done by Bombur. That is ok, if you really want to, I guess I could turn all developement over to him.

Post #: 52
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:53:25 PM   
ernieschwitz

...every time you play a card, use an officer or say, this is nifty, i didn't know ATG could do this.. that's me at work...

Post #: 53
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 9:55:22 PM   
ernieschwitz

But I have to admire you bang up way of motivating me to do something more to the game/mod/scenario. Really, just keep doing what you are doing.. Keep up the good work and commentary on my efforts.

Post #: 54
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 10:15:21 PM   
Bombur

A small clarification. ernie did 90% of the working hours needed to have this game working. I only did SFT´s and tech tree and also gave some suggestions on overall game concepts. I lack ernie´s ability with game code.
Of course, we always can develop a GD1939 scenario for a better simulation of WW2...could be made with Bombur mod, which has automatic research and more than 700 SFT´s.

Post #: 55
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 10:41:24 PM   
cpdeyoung

quote:

9+4+9+11+6+21+14+5+16=95VP total.
11+6+21+14+5=57 is the allied total now. 60% of total VP.
9+4+9=22 is the Axis total.

I think 95VP is the sum of all VP in the world. The winner must get 66% of these and at least 33% must be held by a single player.
quote:

Remember that we need 66% of the total VP, not only VP owned by Great Powers. Since we, now have a four part alliance(China, UK, USA, France) we will need about 160 points to win

Nope, If the non-warring powers USA-GB-FR and SU-CH combine they can be very close to victory. 11+6+21+14+5=57 ending 63.

Chuck

PS : I want a chance for Bombur and I to fight, and I will wait twelve more turns if he will.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 56
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 10:45:07 PM   
ironduke1955

Yes thanks Bombur I was going to volunteer for the latest game 1.25v Bombur's Mod but left it a bit late, if you need a backup player or slot becomes available then let me know.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 57
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/28/2017 11:45:18 PM   
ironduke1955

April 3rd 1939

Seven German and Allied armies are advancing between Christinau and Krakow, with Lvov captured and the Soviet survivors pursued and all but destroyed, more Soviet armies are detected to the East moving west a clash is inevitable.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 58
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/29/2017 12:23:19 AM   
ironduke1955

With respect Neutral means Neutral you cannot be Allied and Neutral its a contradiction of the English language, if you are allied with a power you cannot be neutral.

Def:not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartial.

You can't be impartial if you are Allied.

Allied def:in combination or working together with.

LMAO

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 59
RE: GD1938 Game 26 - 1/29/2017 2:36:06 AM   
cpdeyoung

I must be missing something.

The USA has left isolation and can make alliances now.

Is there some reason the USA cannot ally with the Soviet Union that I am missing, or China, or Great Britain, or France. Do VP only count if a nation is at war? I don't think that is the case.

Chuck

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD1938 Game 26 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI