Game gradually slowing down

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Kantti

Game gradually slowing down

Post by Kantti »

Hi,

I have been experiencing a nasty bug lately (using 1.9.00 beta, server games). When I start the game and begin playing, everything is fine for some time (30 min-1 hour), but game seems to be gradually slowing down until it becomes unplayable as it starts responding so slowly to mouse. Only thing that helps at that point is restarting the game client. Don't know if it some kind of memory leak or something, but rather irritating having to save-restart-load continuously.
morvael

RE: Game gradually slowing down

Post by morvael »

This was reported a few times, but memory profiling didn't reveal any leaks. However, CPU profiling enabled a few optimizations so maybe the AI turns will be a bit faster. I have the game open for hours and haven't observed any slowdowns. Do you guys play with sound/music on? Maybe that's the difference, mine are turned off.
Hunter63

Post by Hunter63 »

Have had same issue in the past and was caused by another program running at same time.

Some effect AI some don't.

My issue was with WoT or playing another game on steam/through while game was running.

interestingly on another computer I own, I could run same programs without any "leaks".

So is it a program conflict or CPU?

Not sure, if your only running WitE thats new to me.

Ok out to sea I go.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe constant switching between apps does this. I usually focus on one, especially games. Never launched 2 at the same time (except 6 WitE to run AI vs AI tests in parallel at night).
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

I am playing only on server so I don't have any idea, how AI is affected by this. Whole game begins gradually slowing down at some point and after first symptoms appear, it takes 10 minutes maximum for the game become so slow it is unplayable without restart. Restarting game helps always, even if the programs in the background won't change. I don't usually run another games on background, only Firefox with couple of tabs open. It might be related to switching between game and FF, but not 100% sure. Will try to test next time without switching windows.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Also try without sound.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Maybe have GPU-Z running in the background with "log to file" active, looking for unusual GPU loads or something that fills your local GPU memory without releasing it.
Anyone affected by this should also create and upload a DXDIAG report file so we may narrow this down to AMD, Intel or nvidia.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
panzer886

Post by panzer886 »

Had the same problem, the only temporary solution until I will update the machine to 12gb ram is to turn off internet/antivirus and move the the audio and video folder from the game (no audio). Compatibility game on win 7, it seems that it is a bit faster in the moves.
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

Examined the problem more closely. This time no browser or other active programs running at the same time as I suspected that alt-tabbing to browser might have been the cause. Everything went fine until got a message via Steam chat and having the message blinking in the bottom of the screen really hurted the performance (which such a small program shouldn't do? At least doesn't happen with any other game).

Will provide dxdiag -file later, trying to also get gpu-z log. Where do I send these?

(system: i5-3570k, Radeon 280x, 8gb memory, win10)
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Pack both files into a .zip file and attach it here.
What exactly did this error message tell you? Something like Warning - low memory ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
morvael

Post by morvael »

So the game isn't compatible with Steam Overlay?
That may be, I almost never use it (and I rarely run the game via Steam either), so no wonder I didn't notice that.
This news may be of interest to Helpless to fix other games in the series.
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

There was no error message. Game just got so slow to react to anything that playing became a real nuisance. I restarted the game before getting any error messages.

I will try to recreate the issue later today after the work and will log it this time with gpu-z. Will send those files then.

Not sure, if it always related to steam. Might sometimes relate to just having Firefox running (and alt-tabbing to it). Might be some problem with windowed mode? Dunno, hopefully you can solve this. I'll try to provide relevant files later today.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Try to disable the steam layout in steam option. It is a good hint it can be related to this.
Brakes are for cowards !!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

also helps if we have a report then can looks at the system and give other advice and options

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)

a clean profile etc, by disabling background un needed apps and startup programs, free's up system resources giving more resources for a given system to use, removing unwanted apps, altering system settings like power saving settings, altered from balanced to high performance, making use of the full cpu and not handicapping it, turning off screensaver and other power saving apps etc etc etc

and another tip, if you use 2 drives, go back into power and settings and make sure the 2nd drive doesn't go to sleep by putting a 0 in the box, as if you have steam or games on the second drive, why would you want it to go to sleep anyway, can cause a system hang while it wakes up if and when needed while a game is on it, but cached to the C drive so not always in use etc
[8D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

In fact I am not sure if I am using the (shift+tab) layout at all. Steam is just running in the background and when I get message from a friend via Steam, it just pops flashing to the taskbar.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, I realized that after a while. I can replicate this easily, it's strange that it could cause such problems. There is no way to block that as well. Steam chat is completely external to the game (unlike overlay). I would blame frequent alt-tabbing to Firefox, though.
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

Just wondering how could alt-tabbing be to blame as game is run in windowed mode and the firefox can be reached also just by dragging mouse away from the game window and to Firefox window next to it. Somehow the game seems to throttle down in these cases when some other program demands resources? Still cpu usage doesn't seem out of charts. Well, have to keep gpu-z logging this evening and post it here with dxdiag.
morvael

Post by morvael »

I'm not an expert, but usually apps have to yield some memory (in GPU for example) when they are no longer focused/top-most/visible window. Do it multiple times, if there is a leak somewhere and...
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Steamoverlay maybe prelaunched in each steam game, displayed or not, except if you disable it in the steam option.
Brakes are for cowards !!
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Return to “Tech Support”