Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP son of UV ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WITP son of UV ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP son of UV ? - 4/23/2003 7:00:43 PM   
Southern Cross

I have recently become immersed in UV. It is a great game and I love the level of detail and the amount of control you have over so many aspects of game play---and of course the lack of control over things like the weather and the enemy :)

From what I have seen WITP looks like it will be just as good as UV.

My big concern is that the larger scope and scale of WITP will mean higher levels of abstraction and less detail than UV.

I hope this is not so.....Will the WITP game engine be essentially the same as the UV engine ? Will we still be able to control supply allocation and convoys ? Will we still be able to allocate TF commanders etc... ?

In other words will WITP be very similar to UV but just on a much larger map and with more countries involved ?
Post #: 1
- 4/23/2003 9:47:19 PM   
madflava13

Southern Cross-
UV's engine is the basis for WitP, AFAIK. The map will be colossal, but you will still have the same unit detail - individual ships, pilots, etc. There will be more ship types, more countries, and apparently some sort of production model that you can control as the player, but there are no details of that as yet due to the early stages of development (Alpha) and the NDA the testers signed.

From what's been posted here, it seems you will be the Supreme Commander and there will be sub-commands underneath you that you can control directly or put on some sort of computer control.

Read back over some of the posts from the last two months or so and you'll find screenshots and info from the developers and alpha testers.

Hope that helps...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Southern Cross)
Post #: 2
Can you handle the Truth? - 4/23/2003 11:46:52 PM   
siRkid

WitP will have the same level of detail as UV, in fact more. One of the challenges we face is how to make it easier for the player to control all the assets. Unlike a 4X space game I recently returned, WitP will not automate everything for you. However, you will have the option to automate if you wish. Our goal is to make it easier for you to collect the information you need to make decisions and then provide you the tools to put those decisions into action. Basically we are trying to reduce the amount of clicking required.

Check out this graphic and look at the number of ships just in Pearl!:D

Attachment (1)

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 3
Re: Can you handle the Truth? - 4/24/2003 2:13:16 PM   
Tanaka

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]WitP will have the same level of detail as UV, in fact more. One of the challenges we face is how to make it easier for the player to control all the assets. Unlike a 4X space game I recently returned, WitP will not automate everything for you. However, you will have the option to automate if you wish. Our goal is to make it easier for you to collect the information you need to make decisions and then provide you the tools to put those decisions into action. Basically we are trying to reduce the amount of clicking required.

Check out this graphic and look at the number of ships just in Pearl!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

thank you thank you thank you for that!!! that space game and the company that made it (and we all know which the game and the company) could learn a lot from a great gaming company like matrix. keep up the great work guys!!! options options and more options!!!

Post #: 4
- 4/24/2003 3:23:09 PM   
Southern Cross

Thanks guys , this is re-assuring ! :D

Post #: 5
Re: Can you handle the Truth? - 4/24/2003 6:42:29 PM   
ADavidB

[B]WitP will have the same level of detail as UV, in fact more. One of the challenges we face is how to make it easier for the player to control all the assets. Unlike a 4X space game I recently returned, WitP will not automate everything for you. However, you will have the option to automate if you wish. Our goal is to make it easier for you to collect the information you need to make decisions and then provide you the tools to put those decisions into action. Basically we are trying to reduce the amount of clicking required.

Check out this graphic and look at the number of ships just in Pearl!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm - Pearl Harbor is in the "Temporate Zone"?

62696 second line troops and no aviation support other than the AVs?

Okay, Okay, I realize that this is an alpha screen shot.

And I guess that that zero "Values" is because the victory points decisions are still on-going.

Thanks for the sneak peek.

Dave Baranyi

Post #: 6
Re: Can you handle the Truth? - 4/24/2003 8:12:01 PM   
Sonny

[B].....................

Basically we are trying to reduce the amount of clicking required.

........................... [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank God!

One thing (which might not be easy to do) would be to have the ability to right click and hold on a unit/TF/base and have a little screen (like the tootip screen in UV) - and have the information on this little screen be customized by the player. That is, if you just want to see the fuel status of the ships in the TF or you just want to see the avaition support of a base etc. You would select which data fields you wanted to see for each type of entity. To be able to right click on a sub and see how many torps remaining in a little window rather than filling the screen with the sub TF info then having to click to see the torps remaining on the specific boat and then having to click go back to click the set destination hex and then click the destination hex.... Oh well, you get the picture. It would mean a lot more programming but would save the players tons of time. :)

Post #: 7
- 4/24/2003 8:54:37 PM   
Luskan

tell us which 4X game so we don't buy it!!!

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

Post #: 8
- 4/25/2003 12:14:59 AM   
Snigbert

I'm guessing Masters of Orion 3

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

Post #: 9
- 4/25/2003 3:51:13 AM   
Tanaka

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B]I'm guessing Masters of Orion 3 [/B][/QUOTE]

YUP :)

Post #: 10
- 4/25/2003 4:21:44 AM   
siRkid

err could be. ;)

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WITP son of UV ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI