Matrix library and Surface Pro 4

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

TheGreatRadish

Matrix library and Surface Pro 4

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Hi folks,

My employer is running their annual "home technology scheme" and there is a damn good deal on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I've been interested in the SP line for a long time but didn't feel I could justify spending that sort of money. Small monthly payments through salary sacrifice make it very attractive though.

I'm looking at the Intel Core i5-6300U, 8gb RAM, 256Gb SSD model. Now, I don't intend to run massively demanding games on it, it's not built for that I know - my existing desktop will still be doing all of that. However, I think my Matrix / Slitherine collection (e.g. War in the West, DC: Barbarossa, CTGW, Command Ops, Wars of Napoleon and next week Strategic Command 3, maybe World in Flames one day if it ever gets an AI) as well as the original Combat Mission series, some of the Paradox games and Football Manager should, hopefully, run just nicely.

I'm looking to see if any of you guys have a Surface Pro (any generation) and what your experience of running the above games has been like? In theory, there shouldn't be any real issues, but I thought it wise to seek feedback. I will use a mouse and the type cover keyboard with it for these type of games so don't worry about the touchscreen issue.

ryan1488

RE: Matrix library and Surface Pro 4

Post by ryan1488 »

i have a surface pro 3 i7 and it runs all the matrix games no prob
TheGreatRadish

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Great, thanks for answering and important for me to know.
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

I have a Surface Pro 2 i5 and it also runs Matrix games fine. Also, some Matrix games (such as Battle of the Bulge and Drive on Moscow) work perfectly with the touchscreen.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I have a Surface 3 with an Atom x7-Z8700 Quad Core and I can run most of the games I've tried.
gekkoguy35

Post by gekkoguy35 »

I've got a similarly sized Lenovo laptop/tablet, and while it's not identical to a surface, it does share some things in common with the Surface. My only problem with gaming on my Lenovo has been issues with scaling. Many of my Matrix games run on it just fine, but I run into problems like having bits of message windows or menus being cut off a bit. There's fixes and workarounds out there on the forums and other places if you dig around, and tweak resolution/display settings, but it can be bothersome.
wesy

Post by wesy »

I've got a SP4 with the exact same configuration that is my primary work machine (disclosure I work for MSFT)

I don't have all the games you mentioned, but of the games you listed it runs:

War in the West, DC, Command Ops, and SC3.

One thing to keep in mind is that the SP4 runs at 2736x1824 resolution and some apps don't scale well (i.e. Ageod games).

Hope that helps.

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
TheGreatRadish

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Very helpful all, thank you. I think I will go ahead and treat myself [:)] I've also discovered how well steam streaming works so that gives me extra options too. I will order today, the device should be delivered first week in December [8D]

Return to “General Discussion”