Pacific War Movies...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MakeeLearn

Pacific War Movies...

Post by MakeeLearn »

Iam watching "Colonel Kato's Falcon Squadron" (1944) w/ English Subtitles - B&W / 109 mins

Japanese made. Resolution not too bad. A great time piece especially for the planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sneZm8jQ2Dw&t=2948s

Rising-Sun

RE: Pacific War Movies...

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Iam watching "Colonel Kato's Falcon Squadron" (1944) w/ English Subtitles - B&W / 109 mins

Japanese made. Resolution not too bad. A great time piece especially for the planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sneZm8jQ2Dw&t=2948s

Seen it awhile back, pretty good video.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Yes it is a pretty good movie. I wish there was a translation of the Prayer during the rising sun. Good detail of a pilots experience.

The first appearance of the Oscar doing a roll was great.

His response of "Unbelievable!!!!" to the Pearl Harbor attack almost seems to have dual meaning.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Yes it is a pretty good movie. I wish there was a translation of the Prayer during the rising sun. Good detail of a pilots experience.

The first appearance of the Oscar doing a roll was great.

His response of "Unbelievable!!!!" to the Pearl Harbor attack almost seems to have dual meaning.

Wish they made more movies that is based in the Pacific in WWII. The Admiral was pretty good and of course the Yamato too.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

They made a movie in the early eighties IIRC called "Zero", roughly follows the exploits as described by Sakai, and they use pretty realistic models for the aerial shots.
Some of the shots were done with radio control scale models with accurate engine sounds dubbed in..The film has its' obligatory mushy love sequence, but other than that, it was pretty good with Zekes, Wildcats, P-40's, Hellcats, etc.

BATTLE OF OKINAWA is another fine film from the Japanese side with accurate weaponry and equipment throughout.

JAPAN's LONGEST DAY (1967) was an early attempt to show the Japanese side as the war was nearing its' conclusion.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Also these two are pretty good directed by Eastwood, Letters from Iwo Jima and Flag of our Fathers and my favorite is In Harm's Way.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

The Japanese had been making lately quite good WW2 pictures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eternal_Zero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoroku_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor_in_August

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_(film)

Emperor in August is the new/ updated version of Longest Day
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I'm probably gonna get hated on or something for this, but I thought the HBO miniseries The Pacific was excellent.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Why do you think "you will be hated"? Have some people panned the series?
I thought it was pretty well done except for the overdone gruesomeness in a few scenes.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
joey

Post by joey »

I saw Hacksaw Ridge last weekend. I was amazed. I have nothing but absolute respect for Desmond Doss. If anyone deserved the Medal of Honor, he did. It being veterans' day, I felt this needed said.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I thought it was pretty well done except for the overdone gruesomeness in a few scenes.

Well, less of an observation of people's general opinion regarding the series and more of an assumption that some can be cranky about movie choices. [:D]
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Well, less of an observation of people's general opinion regarding the series and more of an assumption that some can be cranky about movie choices. [:D]

The Pacific is a special series, as close as we're likely to get to feeling what it was like then. Based on two very respected memoirs as well. It's also what originally led me to find this game. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

The Pacific is good, but it feels like the red headed foster child of Band of Brothers which in my opinion is absolutely a work of art.

Flags of our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are both excellent.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is an underrated classic. I must say though that probably my all-time favourite is Baa Baa Black Sheep, its pretty good if you can get over some of the combat scenes which use scenes from Battle of Britain.

Midway is also good.

I wish Hollywood would invest in some more Pacific War projects, would LOVE to see Battle of the Philippine Sea on the big screen.

The Thin Red Line is pretty good but its good in a very strange way that I don't even have the words for its..... Artistic[:)]
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
spence

Post by spence »

I've read that Tom Hanks is going to star in a new (a couple of years down the pike) film called "Greyhound" or "Greyhounds" or some such: about a USN DD in the Pacific in WW2.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

I wish Hollywood would invest in some more Pacific War projects, would LOVE to see Battle of the Philippine Sea on the big screen.
warspite1

Well your wait is almost over. I hear that Michael Bay has already started shooting a highly realistic recreation of the famous battle. I have managed to obtain a sneak peak at one of the scenes.

Michael Bay’s Battle of the Philippine Sea

The camera zooms in on the battleship USS Iowa as she fires off a surface to air missile against a swarm of Zero fighters heading towards the US invasion fleet. The action quickly cuts to the Lieutenant Rafe McCauley’s cabin.

Rafe: Evelyn, what are you doing on this boat?
Evelyn: I’m here as your love interest and to spout BS lines like this one.
Rafe: Which one?
Evelyn: This one; Do you ever wonder if this war's going to catch up with us?
Rafe: Wow that was rubbish.
[Admiral Spruance suddenly appears]
Admiral Spruance: If I can just interrupt your little tete a tete, I’m trying to fight a war here. [Spruance does a double take] And I won’t even ask what the hell this nurse is doing on my boat McCauley…… anyways Listen, sailor do you know what top secret is?
Rafe: Yes, sir. It's the kind of mission where you get medals, but they send 'em to your relatives.
Admiral Spruance: That’s right Rafe. So I gotta ask you something. Are you prepared for another top secret mission?

[Rafe and Evelyn give each other meaningful stares, a tear forms in the nurse’s left eye - stirring music plays in the background]

Rafe: Sir Yes Sir
Admiral Spruance: Its right what they said about you. You’re a loose canon – but I like you son, you’ve got balls. Tell me are you anxious to die son?
Rafe: Not anxious to die sir, just anxious to matter.
Admiral Spruance: Macauley, you can be my wing man anytime. [The Admiral and Rafe embrace]…..

[McCauley is about to leave the cabin when Spruance calls him back]
Admiral Spruance [winks]: Oh and McCauley, don't come back until you've bagged 500 Jap airplanes.
Rafe: 500? But I gotta have 48 hours sir
Admiral Spruance: 48? I got Nimitz bustin' my balls on this one. Listen McCauley, you got 24hrs but I need results mr or I'm bustin' your ass down to private.
Rafe [winks back, then puts on his sunglasses and gives the thumbs up]: Piece of cake Raymundo, piece of cake....from now on just call me Maverick.

The Battleship USS Iowa off Saipan 1944
Attachments
Missile.jpg
Missile.jpg (134.25 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I'm probably gonna get hated on or something for this, but I thought the HBO miniseries The Pacific was excellent.

Not at all, got this when first came out and already watch it like three times. Pretty good series.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

warspite1

Well your wait is almost over. I hear that Michael Bay has already started shooting a highly realistic recreation of the famous battle. I have managed to obtain a sneak peak at one of the scenes.

Michael Bay’s Battle of the Philippine Sea

The camera zooms in on the battleship USS Iowa as she fires off a surface to air missile against a swarm of Zero fighters heading towards the US invasion fleet. The action quickly cuts to the Lieutenant Rafe McCauley’s cabin.

Rafe: Evelyn, what are you doing on this boat?
Evelyn: I’m here as your love interest and to spout BS lines like this one.
Rafe: Which one?
Evelyn: This one; Do you ever wonder if this war's going to catch up with us?
Rafe: Wow that was rubbish.
[Admiral Spruance suddenly appears]
Admiral Spruance: If I can just interrupt your little tete a tete, I’m trying to fight a war here. [Spruance does a double take] And I won’t even ask what the hell this nurse is doing on my boat McCauley…… anyways Listen, sailor do you know what top secret is?
Rafe: Yes, sir. It's the kind of mission where you get medals, but they send 'em to your relatives.
Admiral Spruance: That’s right Rafe. So I gotta ask you something. Are you prepared for another top secret mission?

[Rafe and Evelyn give each other meaningful stares, a tear forms in the nurse’s left eye - stirring music plays in the background]

Rafe: Sir Yes Sir
Admiral Spruance: Its right what they said about you. You’re a loose canon – but I like you son, you’ve got balls. Tell me are you anxious to die son?
Rafe: Not anxious to die sir, just anxious to matter.
Admiral Spruance: Macauley, you can be my wing man anytime. [The Admiral and Rafe embrace]…..

[McCauley is about to leave the cabin when Spruance calls him back]
Admiral Spruance [winks]: Oh and McCauley, don't come back until you've bagged 500 Jap airplanes.
Rafe: 500? But I gotta have 48 hours sir
Admiral Spruance: 48? I got Nimitz bustin' my balls on this one. Listen McCauley, you got 24hrs but I need results mr or I'm bustin' your ass down to private.
Rafe [winks back, then puts on his sunglasses and gives the thumbs up]: Piece of cake Raymundo, piece of cake....from now on just call me Maverick.

The Battleship USS Iowa off Saipan 1944

I can't wait to get a ticket for this show.

Maybe they can get Mel Gibson to play Yamamoto so we get the Japanese side of the conflict as well. [;)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I like it. Yes I can just imagine a Mel Gibson produced movie about the Pacific War - with Gibson playing Yamamoto natch.

Mel Gibson’s Pacific War 1941-45

Setting: Imperial General Headquarters Tokyo. A meeting of the Supreme War Council is underway.

Hirohito: Well gentlemen. What we have before us is a truly momentous decision.
Yamamoto: Freedom!

[Hirohito and Tojo give the Admiral a confused look]

Hirohito: As I was saying we….
Yamamoto: Freedom!
Hirohito: Admiral why do you keep saying that?
Yamamoto: Your heart is free. Have the courage to follow it.
Tojo: Eh?
Yamamoto: It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom.

[Tojo looks at his Emperor totally bemused]

Tojo: We are talking about going to war with our greatest foe, we are talking about the most momentous moment in our history and all you do is keep interrupting and shouting about freedom?
Hirohito: Tojo is right. Our implacable foe lies across the water with his mighty fleet and a President that thinks he can dictate terms to us!
Yamamoto: That is what I am talking about. We must declare war immediately on those evil British. Freedom! For years we have stood by while they wage a savage and brutal war against civilians in China. Freedom!

Tojo, Hirohito and Yamamoto [together]: Freedom!

Coming this summer to all good theatres - Mel Gibson is Isoruku Yamamoto - and like William Wallace, that guy from The Patriot and the other geezer - you know the one from Gallipoli - he really cares about freedom and sticking it to the English/British [delete as appropriate]
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (78.77 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

I like it. Yes I can just imagine a Mel Gibson produced movie about the Pacific War

He has "Flintsaw Ridge" Starring Mel Gibson playing as an unknown actor playing Yamamoto.

In this scene Yamamoto(unknown actor(Mel Gibson)) finds out that the American aircraft canoes were not at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Attachments
bnn.jpg
bnn.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 146 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

RisingSun

In Harm's Way

Damn good movie.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”