question about stockpiling supply

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bush

question about stockpiling supply

Post by bush »

For example, if I set a base spinner to draw 8,000 supply (meaning 24,000 in the base) AND set it to stockpile, will the base continue to accumulate more and more supply as the draw is set for 8,000 per day? Or, when the total amount of supply reaches (in this case) 24,000 the excess will be allowed to flow out to other areas? My Rangoon warlords are very curious.

Thanks,

Mike
BillBrown

RE: question about stockpiling supply

Post by BillBrown »

These are two different things.

Setting the supply required/demand spinner to 8,000 tells the base to acquire 24,000 supply( demand * 3 ).

Setting the base stockpile switch on tells the base to not allow other bases to take any supply from that base. The base will still
send supply to LCUs requiring it.

Note, the supply required spinner does NOT set the supply draw to 8,000 per day.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Setting the supply required/demand spinner to 8,000 tells the base to acquire 24,000 supply( demand * 3 ).

Setting the base stockpile switch on tells the base to not allow other bases to take any supply from that base. The base will still

Note, the supply required spinner does NOT set the supply draw to 8,000 per day.
And being the largest port in the region, Rangoon will accumulate all the supply that is not responding to supply draw in other areas, so you do not need to set stockpile. If you are trying to get the supply to flow down the Burma road you will have to set the supply draw there higher.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Correct.

One clarification though.

Bases with supply stockpile turned "on" will still send supply as needed, to LCUs out in the field. LCUs which are located in a different base will not be similarly supplied. All LCUs in a base are fed from the supply depot located at that base.

In some instances, setting a base to stockpile supplies will adversely affect the flow of supplies to other bases down the supply path. This can be an issue where land transportation links are poor and the main ones run through the stockpiling base.

Players should be very wary of both upping the supply spinners and turning stockpiling on.

Alfred
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I don't remember where, China perhaps, I once had a situation where I would turn stockpile on at a certain base and when sufficient supply accumulated would turn it off so that other bases closer to the front would receive a pulse. Can't swear it worked better than not doing it, but there were certain portions of the front that had higher priority for me and the idea was to suck up more supply close to that area and then distribute it.

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Alfred
Bases with supply stockpile turned "on" will still send supply as needed, to LCUs out in the field.
Aww, snap... I always liked to set stockpile on in starting Allied China to not burn supplies on the road network as long as LCUS were retreating to inner perimeter
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Does anyone know... will having units along a road between 2 bases help in moving more supplies from base to base?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Does anyone know... will having units along a road between 2 bases help in moving more supplies from base to base?
I'm quite sure that units do not "pass along" the supplies, they just draw what they need and ignore the rest. So, I say no.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

I'm quite sure that units do not "pass along" the supplies, they just draw what they need and ignore the rest. So, I say no.

Correct.

The entire logistics system is "demand" driven. The presence of LCUs on a "road" has zero impact on delivering supply further down the road. The LCUs themselves are out in the countryside and have their own demand. They do not increase the supply requirements of bases further down the road. Nor do they improve the route logistic numbers (seen after pressing the key "5" in a solo game).

Alfred
bush

Post by bush »

I am still a little unsure about my original question. If a base is stockpiling will they build up (stockpile) everything they can get their hands on, or will the maximum level based on the spinner number be the trip wire to allow supply to flow out of the base? And I guess, if I read Alfred correctly, I mean flow to another base, as an out-of-base LCU will be allowed to draw supply.

Thanks,

Mike
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: bushpsu

I am still a little unsure about my original question. If a base is stockpiling will they build up (stockpile) everything they can get their hands on, or will the maximum level based on the spinner number be the trip wire to allow supply to flow out of the base? And I guess, if I read Alfred correctly, I mean flow to another base, as an out-of-base LCU will be allowed to draw supply.

Thanks,

Mike
It will stockpile what is coming to the base, but keep in mind that supply doesn't just flow down roads and rail lines. To meet demand further down the way some will flow through terrain and eventually some will reach the troops/base if it is not too far away and there was enough supply to start with. As Alfred suggested, use the 5 key (it can take quite a while before the display comes up) to see what the supply flow is from a selected source - it moves in all directions but moves more efficiently on transportation networks.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: bushpsu
I am still a little unsure about my original question. If a base is stockpiling will they build up (stockpile) everything they can get their hands on..
This. If you dump millions of supply into some base, it will happily stockpile there and not move to other bases.
The spinner is another story - a restrictive threshold, under which (well, 3x spinner number) the base will not share suply at all, even with LCUs
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

(seen after pressing the key "5" in a solo game).

You mean this doesn't work in a PBEM game? If so, didn't know that. Although now I have a question. Why not?
I am still a little unsure about my original question. If a base is stockpiling will they build up (stockpile) everything they can get their hands on,

No. It simply means that the base will not move its supply on to other bases.
or will the maximum level based on the spinner number be the trip wire to allow supply to flow out of the base?

The 'spinner' number is what the base will attempt to draw times three.

In all cases supply will still 'flow' to units in the 'field'. IOW units not in bases.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”