This game has ruined..

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

wodin

This game has ruined..

Post by wodin »

ANy enthusiasm for future operational and grand strat wargames. Unless they can match somehow the immersion etc this game does I see no point in them. Take a game that's coming out soon...I can't get excited about it as I keep comparing it to this game and it's mechanics and so it feels somehow the new game has a big part missing.

So please, please being lots more out using this engine..otherwise I prob wont play an operational upwards wargame again!
TheGreatRadish

RE: This game has ruined..

Post by TheGreatRadish »

Late reply, but I'm pretty cut up DC:B is going to be the first and last in the series, I had hoped it would only be the start. I have to agree, Wodin, other Operational games just don't do it for me anymore. Crying shame.
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

Agree, have logged some 30 h and am slowly but surely falling in love with this one. Strikes a perfect balance between several gaming concepts. Please, please do more. France 44. Italy Sicily to the Alps, the Bulge, Bagration, the Pacific - anything.
budd

Post by budd »

I just want 6 more months, until end of 42.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
wodin

Post by wodin »

So sad. It's one of the few wargames I keep going back to. Vic and Matrix really are missing something if they do let this fade into the horizon
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: wodin

So sad. It's one of the few wargames I keep going back to. Vic and Matrix really are missing something if they do let this fade into the horizon

Completely agree. It's a shame if this design concept has no follow-up - So much potential for future incredible games...

I guess the problem is that Cameron is no longer available/interested in doing more games. [:(]

anyhow, DC:B will forever stand in my patheon of best games ever played. And I keep coming back to it, too...
Former AJE team member
tombo

Post by tombo »

....so I assume ver 1.03r is the last we will get?

I hope Cameron does return and expand. The time devoted and cost to create this new, unique platform for just one release seems criminal.

cheers
wodin

Post by wodin »

AFter everyone taking their cut I don't think he made any money at all from it..certainly not for the eyars he put into it.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Maybe next time Vic can publish a download-only version himself and cut out Matrix. Not that I want that but Vic's survival is more important than Matrix. Sorry Matrix, you know what I mean.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words in this and other threads.

While I won't be making another game in the series Vic may find somebody else to do one in the future. Barbarossa is my take on an operational wargame but it's equally likely that somebody else's vision may well turn out to be a better one.

I'll continue supporting Barbarossa and did gain a measure of financial return from the game however the time-in-dollar-out equation is pretty dire. I have to report daily to a wife and children high command structure and while I'm willing to fight on with dwindling stocks of fuel and ammunition they've ordered me to assume command of another front.

Vic is busy making Shadow Empires and I'm sure that it'll be just as good and successful as his previous games.

Cheers,
Cameron

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have to report daily to a wife and children high command structure and while I'm willing to fight on with dwindling stocks of fuel and ammunition they've ordered me to assume command of another front.

Ah yes! It is easy to see where you got your inspiration for the relationships of the people in the game :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
pierreoza

Post by pierreoza »

Thanks for the very good game.

kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

You get all my Political Points for creating this juggernaut of a game, Cameron!
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

Agree, one of if not the best operational wargame ever. The AI in particular is impressive. I wish the Civ VI team had put as much effort and skill into the AI as you guys did for this game.

Very sad we won't be seeing more DC games. The approach would have been ideal for a theatre-scale 1940-42 Mediterranean game, with all of its complex politics and personalities. (German/Italian tensions and command constraints, polyglot Allied force, lots of neutrals and quais-neutrals - Vichy, Iraq & Iran, Balkans, Turkey, Spain, etc...)

Thanks for the great game!
Fulton

Post by Fulton »

I wanted to also say how good the chassis is on this. For me, it is the connection with the OOB that I feel here as I run the ops. I feel as though the decisions I am making are appropriate to the role I am filling. The effects of those decisions are reflected in so many ways down the line that the immersion is very good. In some ways, I think it tingles similar concepts as CKII in context and relationship connections.

I'm not familiar with the cards dealt the developers but I waited (I guess too long) and took the plunge with the steam sale. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think with just a bit of time and talent the engine surely can be adapted to different scenarios without changing too much? Perhaps just zooming in a bit and releasing AGN/C/S DLC as individual studies. Then of course comes the combination of those three in the Barbarossa: Decisive Generals Edition... [8|]

Anyway, it's really good and I'm glad to have it as is.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I get the feeling that what is holding back making a new version that looks and feels like this one, in whatever is being planned, has to do with the fact that you really need to do a very comprehensive amount of research. Much more than would be needed in other wargames. The question then becomes, does that research add up to more sales, so that the extra time would be compensated. My guess is: no.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

Agree, one of if not the best operational wargame ever. The AI in particular is impressive. I wish the Civ VI team had put as much effort and skill into the AI as you guys did for this game.

Very sad we won't be seeing more DC games. The approach would have been ideal for a theatre-scale 1940-42 Mediterranean game, with all of its complex politics and personalities. (German/Italian tensions and command constraints, polyglot Allied force, lots of neutrals and quais-neutrals - Vichy, Iraq & Iran, Balkans, Turkey, Spain, etc...)

At the moment I am working on Shadow Empire, but I might very well return to a new DC game after. Especially the idea of doing a late ww2 game is still quite high on my next game ideas list.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Bulge has enough name recognition that it is probably always going to be a big seller.

But a game about 1945 and the fall of the Reich (which could include the Bulge offensive) would be a lot of fun, especially if it could be played double solitaire (side one: Western Allies and East Front Germans; side two: Soviets and West Front Germans). You would have to be a masochist to enjoy playing the Germans, and the double-solitaire gets around that. I think SPI did a boardgame about it in the late 'seventies (don't know if Decision Games has republished it).
wodin

Post by wodin »

Wonder how difficult it would be to use the previous DC games (case Blue and Warsaw) as a foundation to upgrade them tp DCB engine and all the ne wmechanics and features..could be a quick way to get something out.

Africa might have been good..both sides defend and attack..also logistics and supply is very important like in DCB.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Vic,

A new game would be a let down if it didn't build on Barbarossa and it's amazing roleplay feature..if you just went back to Case Blue features..
ORIGINAL: Vic

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

At the moment I am working on Shadow Empire, but I might very well return to a new DC game after. Especially the idea of doing a late ww2 game is still quite high on my next game ideas list.

Best wishes,
Vic

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”