your techniques on how to efficiently play your turn

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

azura987

your techniques on how to efficiently play your turn

Post by azura987 »

Hi!
I'm a newbie trying to learn the game and playing a grand campaign scenario against the AI.
The big problem that I'm having is not nescessarily tactics or rules but before that on how to organise playing my turn.
Indeed it is overwhelming, but what is your method to play your turn, do you start with supplies, with major surface TFs... do you play regions separatly?
I'm sure everyone has it's own way of playing their turn but I would like to hear your recommendations to see more clearly... otherwise I'll never finish playing that first turn lol
Lokasenna

RE: your techniques on how to efficiently play your turn

Post by Lokasenna »

I've never done the regions thing. I understand why people do, I just don't. I jump all over the map.

I keep notes of what needs done every turn (either from previous turns or the combat replay), and I always do more than that of course - it's just the notes are the things I must do. Everything else is optional or not time sensitive, so if I forget to do it for a turn or eight it's no big deal.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I've never done the regions thing. I understand why people do, I just don't. I jump all over the map.

Not regions, but theatres, yes. Difference is that one is limited to geography, the other is focused on a goal. Assets generally come from all over.
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I keep notes of what needs done every turn (either from previous turns or the combat replay), ...
Yeah, lot of notes. I burn several stickies every turn with my notes ... particularly spotting or dl changes ... as IJ intel is non-existent ... you have to make your own from spotting, recon, and search. I do a ton of hte latter two and review all of the former.
Pax
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I pay close attention to the hot spots (where activity just occurred). Then I check my ongoing operations - have all the transports arrived for a new invasion that I am planning? Then I periodically check the major bases in various sectors of the map - if I see something that needs tweaking I might even then check the minor bases.

I tend to check my recon on a daily basis - rotating targets so as to keep informed. I check my naval search on a less frequent basis but it is good to make sure that the squadrons are not getting worn down - or shot down! Every two or three turns I check the TF list for TFs that may be running out of fuel - patrolling subs don't always RTB in time to prevent serious damage and sometimes cargo TFs take a wide detour around known sub activity and then run out of fuel. I check the operations report every day for reinforcements and get them squared away. Then I triple check my CV TFs to make sure that everything is shipshape.

Then, every few turns or so I go really anal and spend about five hours on one turn looking at almost everything.
fair winds,
Brad
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Like others, I go by region to region. Every once in awhile I dedicate turns to logistics and training.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
azura987

Post by azura987 »

ok already nice info, thanks...
AS I understand well in any case the first turn is the longest to play... how much time do you take to make your first turn in average?
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

First turn can take days. EVERYTHING needs to be setup.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

1st turn:
i go ground units first. HQ with its subunits after HQ with subunits (on jap side this includes forming TFs and loading units if boats are available at the location of the unit)
then existing TFs (adjust targets/composition). after that forming new TFs. then going through air units. if jap side production/industry/bases last.

regular turn:
work through tracker (Alerts sortet by Value) to check if moved units arrived at target (or unpacked to rebuild divs, etc),check for new arrivals of units (LCU, air, ships)
then check all existing tf screen (ingame)for tfs sitting around waiting for orders.
open LBA units for pilot replacements.(navy i check as soon as carrier groups are at harbour)
then go through theatres check for groundbattles (to give new orders for units), check orders of LBA, check dmgd ships/tfs in the area while alredy there

on the 10th, 20th, 30th i go through planes for replacements (if major losses i replace on the fly occasionally)
on 1st of month i check pilot training, shipyard adjustments, other industry-related stuff (at start of the game way more frequently)
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

My biggest problem was with LCUs arriving at their destinations. To get a hang of who is going where, the best is to install Tracker, load the turn, go to the Alerts section, uncheck all alerts but LCU alerts, select the alerts about units arriving, CTRL+C them (yes, CTRL+C works on this screen in Tracker) and copy them to a Word file. Then I go through the list and delete the ones which arrived at their final destinations, and put notes next to the others which wait for other LCUs or await PPs to release them.

Works like a CHARM.
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

dual monitor setup is great for useing tracker
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As Japan I check my 'screens' first, Intel, Industry, etc. Then its off to the map. I start in Japan and work counter-clockwise around to the SE area and back to Japan. My last first turn took me about two weeks. Not that I was doing anything for that long, but I've come to loathe it and I can't spend too much time on it in one sitting any longer. Although I feel its gotta be done as it sets the tone for my game.

I don't use any outside programs like Tracker. I keep a record every 10 days of the things I wish to monitor. I check pilot training and mine tender fueling twice a month.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Kull's spreadsheets are a great help for the 1st turn madness. In time I rewritten them for my preferences
tm.asp?m=2306421
tm.asp?m=3253803

Afterwards it's mostly Tracker, notes, and constantly restricting myself from excessive micromanagement (I'm a perfectionist)
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

... but I've come to loathe it and I can't spend too much time on it in one sitting any longer. Although I feel its gotta be done as it sets the tone for my game.
+1
Pax
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

I usually go by region, check industry and ship building quickly every turn or two. The biggest thing as Japan is making sure you've actually done everything you want to do and not leaving anything 1 turn too late. You must take advantage of the early game dominance and keep in mind that you're on even terms as soon as '43 rolls around. A big thing that I ALWAYS do is move my ARM units in Manchuria to other places (usually China). The first turn is an absolute headache with how long it takes but its also very exciting as you think of all your perfect strategies working. Then the realities of situations appear and the real fun begins[;)]
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

My method:

First of all, follow Sardaukar's Rule (a contributor of these forums): you don't need to do everything in one turn. You have plenty of time: daily turns, remember.

I start checking the TF's in ports and the ports too (to repair ships):

Alaska - West Coast - UK, East Coast, Panama - Hawai - Islands of Central Pacific - South Pacific - Australia - Burma and India.

A clockwise tour that is [:)]

Then I open the Land Units screen and look for units ready to be embarked (STRAT = 0) and the units that got to their destination (rail movement). I load transports in the first case, I switch to combat or rest mode in the second.

Many times this is ALL you need to do before clicking on the end turn. But I usually keep an eye on the air units with assigned missions.

The Trick:

You have to have a strategy. So take your time and choose a path for let's say the next months. Once you got it, do NOT reexamine your strategy every turn [:D] I stick to the plan and all I need is what I explained above.

A sub-trick: every multiple of 5 (days, I mean) I stop and see what changed in the strategic picture AND make changes accordingly. But next 5 turns auto-pilot is ON, doing the above process only.

Remember: don't try to do everything in one day. Not necessary.

I also keep excel files and notes and basically that's all. Good luck and above all enjoy the journey [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: azura987

ok already nice info, thanks...
AS I understand well in any case the first turn is the longest to play... how much time do you take to make your first turn in average?

A couple of days minimum [:D] And this is allied vs AI. Japanese PBEM has to be a Horror Movie [:D][:D]

Do NOT let this stop you. Really, it's fairly easy when everything is set up. Well, vs AI, and that's your opponent now [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

you don't need to do everything in one turn. You have plenty of time:

This is an Allied position. In reality Japan has no such luxury. Not that Japan has to do everything in one day, but she better get a move-on. Japan has only 4-6 months of real expansion, so getting things done asap is essential. The more you do on day one the less that is needed later.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Japanese PBEM has to be a Horror Movie [:D][:D]

If you have plenty of time (perhaps are rich or retired or unemployed) it is ok I guess :) But it really eats to much time if you also micromanage (see my thread turn duration in main forum). Also if you suck in nav and carrier warfare as myself however if you lose most ships or they repair in a safe place there is less to worry about and to move and plan for [;)]
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

My personal consistent method:

Allied: Historical / Hard alternating months; PDU Off.

1) Check "Victory Points screen" including and especially: (1) Air Groups withdrawing (2) Ships / LCU withdrawing (3) Ship availability (4) LCU re-enforcements. Manage as required.

Manage Pilot / TRACOM pools monthly on the 15th - check Total Air Losses / Ships Sunk monthly on the 31st.

2) Check Operational Reports including and especially : (1) Task Force low on fuel (2) replacements and TOE upgrades (3) New arrivals.

3) Check Hot Spots immediately from turn or Combat Summary report i.e. where an action / combat went less well than anticipated. Adjust orders.

4) Check pipeline ports immediately from turn. i.e. Eastern USA, Cristobal, Balboa, Capetown, Aden...etc. Ensure orders / supply is ship shape.

5) Pacific Oceans Theater: Continental USA including Hawaii. Click on key bases where I know I have things brewing or notes taken. SAVE #4 slot

6) South Pacific / South West Pacific Theater: same as above. SAVE #5 slot

7) Philippines / DEI Theater: same as above albeit in late 1942 less to do...more again in late 1943. SAVE # 6 slot

8) China Burma India Theater: same as above. SAVE # 7 slot

9) Optional: Drink from Beer / recheck all notes / think about what I possibly could have forgotten / RANT that there are not enough Air Support and Combat Engineering units in game

10) Explain to wife that I will come to bed eventually / explain to children that they have their own darn laptops and leave me alone on desk top / explain that its not my responsibility to feed the cats.

Hit "Next turn"

[8D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

10) Explain to wife that I will come to bed eventually / explain to children that they have their own darn laptops and leave me alone on desk top / explain that its not my responsibility to feed the cats.

Hit "Next turn"

explain to dogs "no it is not my purpose in life to rotate you out continuously."

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

Return to “The War Room”