Does air reconaissance work on own side?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dili

Does air reconaissance work on own side?

Post by Dili »

Trying to find by air if an own strait/harbor is mined.
szmike

RE: Does air reconaissance work on own side?

Post by szmike »

For bases it's on base screen, otherwise it is shown until dispersed/cleared, but it's not shown when they are cleared when you don't know about minesweeping TF. Your own units/bases/minefields are always visible, why would you think otherwise?
Dili

Post by Dili »

szmike not for own side mines but for enemy mines in "own" waters and harbors . Sorry to not be explicit.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Trying to find by air if an own strait/harbor is mined.
Air search or recon cannot detect mines. You need to have ships sweep them or hit them to discover the minefield.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

For major ports, you can use AMcs to conduct "Local Minesweeping" constantly. For other ports you suspect of having been mined, you AMs or DMS's.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

For major ports, you can use AMcs to conduct "Local Minesweeping" constantly. For other ports you suspect of having been mined, you AMs or DMS's.

How should those AMcs be used exactly? set up patrols or just let them sit there in the port?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
traskott

Post by traskott »

Patrol,they must patrol.

The other way is deploying a valuable ship ( if it's not, it wont work [:D]) and let her "detect" the minefield.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

ORIGINAL: Anachro

How should those AMcs be used exactly? set up patrols or just let them sit there in the port?

From Symon:

"All of the “useless” little ships (Don’s Babies) are used in “special” TFs that automatically form, do their thing, and disband during turn resolution. You get auto-magic ASW TFs, MSW TFs, Mine Maint TFs, all sorts of things. Just stick the appropriate ships into a port and let them boogie. Conversion options need to consider these too."

From Don Bowen in the same thread:

"There is some inconsistency with the local TFs. It makes sense when the code is considered.

In original WITP there was only the basic Minesweeping TF, and a lot of code to process minesweepers that were in a Task Force. When we added Local Minesweeping TFs, we piggy backed on the existing code and required local minesweepers to be in a TF.

Mine maintenance was a new feature of AE so we implemented it "automatically". ACM must be available in the port to be used. That is: NOT in a TF. This made sense as ACM are really part of the ports "abilities". The ships for local Minesweeping and local Patrol are too, but existing code for sweeping and ASW was all for ships in TFs ... "

There seems to be a slight inconsistency between the two devs here in the matter of AMc vessels needing to be in TFs to work. I do put them in TFs, and leave them sitting in the port. I don't patrol them. I don't think one has ever been seen sweeping a mine, but that's because there were never any mines where they were so far as I know.

tm.asp?m=3535609&mpage=2&key=minesweepers

The Moose
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Hello.

ACM only needs to be in the port to auto function. AMc should be in Local Minesweeping TF.

Don and John (JWE/symon) worked together on much of this. The desire was to auto-magic the AMc and others like the ACM but time ran out. The Local Minesweeping TF was already in hand and was thought to be sufficiently effective(used way less fuel than a normal sweep TF). Don did the coding, so his recollection should be more precise.

{ed} Some of the confusion arises from the fact that if playing against the AI, the ‘full’ AI does these things automatically. Replicating this into the human AI assistant was what was forgone in the shuffle. See Don’s post #124 from 2009 at tm.asp?m=2064265&mpage=5&key=hdml%3F

Matt
Dili

Post by Dili »

Thanks everyone, US87891 can you confirm what BBfanboy said that air search and/or reconnaissance cannot detect mines. So DL detection levels don't matter in this case?
US87891

Post by US87891 »

I do not have a definitive answer at hand, but the chance of spotting a minefield from the deck of a ship was inconsequential. The chance of spotting one from a mile, or two, or three, up in the air was incredible.

The Naval people, Don and John et al, knew this, so I strongly believe that BBfanboy is quite correct.

[ed] Found the proper code section. BBfanboy is correct. Recon does not affect the DL of minefields.

Matt
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks guys! [;)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Dili

Post by Dili »

Thanks for your research US87891

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”