Whats the secret to training American bomber pilots?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

Whats the secret to training American bomber pilots?

Post by JohnDillworth »

Have no trouble with fighters and navy pilots, but Bomber pilots eludes me. I have many training groups in the states. I have high leadership leaders. I set training qt 70 or 80 %. some groups airfield, some port, some ground. I set range to 1 to reduce operation issues. I check every week or so and maybe a few pilots have a pink number and got bumped a bit but I just can't move the needle on most of these guys. Like I said, I'm filling out the pools of every one else nicely but really nothing on bomber pilots
thanks
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
m10bob

RE: Whats the secret to training American bomber pilots?

Post by m10bob »

Well damn, John...A fella with your level of experience is setting a trap..I mean...it's obvious you have thought of all the "visible" factors, so rather than pretend I can read your mind, I'll just tell you what I do.

Like you, I set training at 80%...I check the leader of the unit and make sure he has high "Inspiration" and admin qualities, high air and high aggression factors..

Dunno why but those larger bombers really take forever to gain experience, and so far I cannot see how altitude has anything to do with it, but if I am training them for a particular function, (as opposed to general training), they seem to gain quicker for that one mission commitment, and the leaders qualities seem to be enhanced as well for that mission type.

I am in the editor a lot but have not seen a way to make training quicker.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Have no trouble with fighters and navy pilots, but Bomber pilots eludes me. I have many training groups in the states. I have high leadership leaders. I set training qt 70 or 80 %. some groups airfield, some port, some ground. I set range to 1 to reduce operation issues. I check every week or so and maybe a few pilots have a pink number and got bumped a bit but I just can't move the needle on most of these guys. Like I said, I'm filling out the pools of every one else nicely but really nothing on bomber pilots
thanks

The bombers really only start to get better once you start using them. Find somewhere on the map that has a Japanese garrison with little to no flak and where you have complete air superiority and set them on the ground attack mission. They'll start picking up experience, not just skill levels. For the Japanese player, they have a huge training ground available called China. For the Allied player, you may have to isolate an atoll as the training target.

There may be other, better ways; but this has always worked for me.

Of course my trouble as a JFB is that even when I get them up to 60-70 XP, I still lose them as fast as if they were only 30 XP the first time I run into a mid-war Hellcat CAP, LOL. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Screenshots of training groups would help
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I train at 100%, 133% pilots and they train up fine. Note that I also set the range to 0. I think any range equal to or less than max normal range will do, but I find it easier to set them to 0. I do not worry about getting them above about 65% in ground bombing skill. That seems to be good enough to put them into a front line unit and let them bomb. Also, Port attack, Airbase Attack and Ground attack will all train the ground bombing skill. The only attribute I look for is leadership. I have fond a number with excellent leadership and really bad ratings for the rest. They seem to train just fine.
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Airfield size seems to play a role.Also if an Air HQ is nearby.
I get the same issue as you with Japanese bombers if I train them at the wrong place. I can immediatly spot the problem when its there since the pilots accumulate no fatigue.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

I'am getting good results with pilots doing a mixture of training and actually missions.

mussey

Post by mussey »

In my present game, once I have multitude of trained Army fighter pilots, I put them into the State side bomber units to finish up their bomber skills. This way they gain general experience with fighter training. It takes awhile, but once the numbers crank up, it works well.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I set training at 100% and range 0. They squadrons train rapidly and with no fatigue.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”