Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/7/2016 1:37:11 AM   
cpdeyoung

12 December 1938

Germany has completed the capture of Denmark with the fall of Copenhagen.

The French prepare for the onslaught of the well equipped Germans. The Italians are on the move also. The British are helping the French every way they can.

The Royal Navy has a massive ASW structure in the Atlantic. The Germans lost 11 SS3 to ASW efforts. The RN has large numbers of subs and destroyers at sea, along with a very potent carrier force.

The Chinese continue to plant stiffening armored units into their defensive formations.

(in reply to tortugapower)
Post #: 91
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/9/2016 5:27:04 PM   
tortugapower

(I saw the new game is ready for me but I might not be able to get to it until tomorrow. Huge deadline approaching for me that might slow down my response time for the next 10-12 days. Christmas break should see much quicker turn-around. Sorry!)

Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 92
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/13/2016 4:31:55 PM   
cpdeyoung

9 January 1939

Quiet days on the front, expect for a Swiss surprise. Another year of war begins.

Post #: 93
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/18/2016 1:53:54 AM   
tortugapower

I got a strange warning, telling me that the game version last used was version 225, while I am using 221. I didn't find any problems playing my turn, so hopefully it was nothing. Chuck, let us know if anything seems fishy.

Also, defending my PhD thesis in a couple of days, so don't expect to hear from me again until the middle of the week. At that point, I can return to 24-hour turnarounds :)

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 94
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/18/2016 1:59:17 AM   
cpdeyoung

I think that is a pretty common warning, and should not be a problem according to Ernie.

I hope the defense of your paper goes well. Best of luck, although luck won't have much to do with it at this stage I expect.

Chuck

Post #: 95
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/19/2016 1:02:51 AM   
cpdeyoung

6 February 1939

Here is the current position of France.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 96
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/19/2016 1:03:56 AM   
cpdeyoung

6 February 1939

The undersea war :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 97
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/19/2016 5:58:56 AM   
tortugapower

Interesting about the uboats. I already can't remember, is Norway under Allied control now?

Edit: Disregard, I remember they are not.

< Message edited by tortugapower -- 12/19/2016 5:59:53 AM >

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 98
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/25/2016 3:29:12 AM   
cpdeyoung

6 March 1939

Here are the U-boat results for March. Tough on U-boat men.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/26/2016 8:12:44 PM   
tortugapower

That's brutal. Do submarines have a realistic chance of doing harm in this mod, or are they (as it seems) pretty easy to stop?

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 100
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/26/2016 8:20:45 PM   
cpdeyoung

The U-boat threat is very real, and they can do a great deal of harm.

What is happening here is due to the destruction of the Italian navy, which has freed so very many subs and destroyers for ASW in the Atlantic. The U-boats lose their concealment when there are so many searchers. There are multiple search and interdiction lines which make supplying U-boats impossible. They are weak as minnows when found.

The Royal Navy also has a very significant carrier force loaded for ASW which can do huge harm to stacks of subs. Aircraft are probably the greatest enemy of U-boats.

Post #: 101
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/27/2016 1:45:27 PM   
RufusTFirefly

Turn 16:

This is what naval warfare at the coast of Norway is like. Royal Navy has blocked the way for German subs towards the North Atlantic Seas. The image shows the hunting for the last remaining German wolfpack. Some others had already been destroyed in previous attacks this turn.
Due to the very effecitve anti-sub warfare of Royal Navy the German subs have become more or less useless. Without any chance for the subs to reach their destinations somewhere in the Atlantic the Brits have successfully secured their supply lines.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 12/27/2016 1:47:14 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 102
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/29/2016 7:28:11 PM   
tortugapower

With the recent destruction of the German submarine network, the Russians feel content in their position of peace. It has given Stalin and his comrades time to make friends across the world...

Brazil was the first to welcome our representatives. Several documented motorcycle drives through the countryside have shown the people the troubles other ideologies, and we have welcomed this change of government as the first step of progression toward making the world a better place.

Perhaps if the other great nations would stand down from all the bloodshed, we could all unite in one great communist hug.

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 103
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/29/2016 7:43:27 PM   
cpdeyoung

Вы большая крыса

FDR

Post #: 104
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/29/2016 7:58:48 PM   
tortugapower

(Just curious Chuck, would you say that you were *guaranteed* to take Brazil next turn? I gambled on this hypothesis.)

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 105
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/29/2016 8:15:04 PM   
cpdeyoung

I was at 973 at the end of last turn - so

YES!

Post #: 106
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/29/2016 8:57:21 PM   
tortugapower

If my discord attempt had worked, that would have been 950... 75% chance; yeah that's almost it.

I was at ~900 by the end of my turn, and when I saw you were still in the lead: "well, here goes nothing".

[edit: 1939, April, for future reference]

< Message edited by tortugapower -- 12/29/2016 10:31:14 PM >

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 107
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 12/31/2016 5:26:27 PM   
cpdeyoung

3 April 1939

The U-boats were content to raid from their home waters so we killed less of them, but we also knocked off 3 DD2.

Great Britain and France struck back at Germany and Italy. An airstrike gave us a chance to compare aircraft performance. We lost 24 Hurricane1s to 20 Bf109Ds, but our newer Spitfires are coming into action which should improve performance.

The USA was surprised and disappointed to have the USSR intervene in the western hemisphere.

China continues to stiffen her defense with armor.

Post #: 108
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/11/2017 4:01:49 AM   
cpdeyoung

1 May 1939

Great Britain have followed Winston Churchill's suggestion-invitation and merged much of their government and militaries. A redoubt is forming as the Axis is exhibiting significant strength.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 109
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/15/2017 3:09:39 PM   
cpdeyoung

29 May 1939

After causing heavy casualties on attacking Fascists the Czechs fought hard to capture Vienna.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cpdeyoung -- 1/15/2017 3:10:45 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 110
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/15/2017 8:36:03 PM   
cpdeyoung

29 May 1939

The British in France found the German stacks a very hard nut to crack.

The Royal Navy sailed right up to Hamburg and attacked the cargo ships at anchor. 10 CgM and 3 CgL were sunk.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 111
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/16/2017 7:40:04 AM   
tortugapower

(By the way, I meant to say this earlier but the forums were down for me yesterday, but... it will give the error for me about clearing my log or something. I reinstalled the game, and I will probably need to do it one more time -- swapping HDs in and out -- but I will try to do this on turns where nothing is happening anyway, so there is nothing to be suspicious of).

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 112
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/19/2017 8:22:06 PM   
cpdeyoung

26 June 1939

The Czechs are fighting very well indeed, even heroically. The following map includes some concentrations of disorganized troops which no longer have unit cohesion (so don't trust everything you see).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/19/2017 10:00:14 PM   
cpdeyoung

26 June 1939

Sea control requires constant patrolling and combat wherever found.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 114
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/20/2017 5:46:01 PM   
RufusTFirefly

Hello guys,

sorry to say but I think I should give up.

I have the feeling I am fighting more against a ridiculous setting than against my opponents. Czechia is full of units. It is hardly possible to gain any terrain. Even worse the Czechian soldiers count as French and fight well. My Italiens fight poorly as the game setting makes them to be weak in combat. Italiens might have been not as good soldiers as the French, Brits or Germans. But far worse than the Czechian ones? Chuck has posted a combat result of the assault on Vienna (post from Jan15th, see above). Czechs had much more forces for attack than I had for defence. So this result makes sense. But the few Italien forces are the result of a lost battle right before when I tried to beat the Czechs, attacking with slightly more units than the defenders had. But my losses were far higher and so the Italiens could not stand the the counterattack. Axis lost Vienna and a as sideeffect Germany suffers severe loss of its air force.

Before WWII started Czechia had been taken by Germany without a single shot. In this scenario Axis has to fight for it. Thats ok. But Czechia has so many units that it could be regarded as a major power. Germany cannt effort to fight against Czechia with lots of units. France has become so strong that for a lot of turns no advance was possible. And now even air power of France/ Britain has become so strong that any preparation of attacks by air raids has no significant effect. So any German unit is needed at the western front. But without supporting the combined forces of Italiens, Austrians (that count as poorly fighting Italiens and are few in number) and the Romanians the Czechs would defeat my forces. So I have to send more German units to Czechia while Western Allies have already become too strong to achieve any success in the fight for France.

Germany is already lost. In 1939! And even in a very fair game where Chuck does not bring USA to war and Sovjets are keeping peace. If SU would attack they would be able to march straight on Berlin. My defence line wont hold. Reinforcements are eaten up by French attacks and Britain has nearly wiped out Hamburg and weakend my production capacity.

I have to admit that I am tired of trying to find a way to make it to late war years. I wont play Axis any more. It does not make sense in this scenario.

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 1/20/2017 5:54:15 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 115
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/20/2017 8:17:57 PM   
RufusTFirefly

An illustration to show why it doesnt make sense to play Axis:
This turn I attacked Vienna again. The second attempt was successful, but the price was high. (Please note that attacks were performed as three side assault.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 1/20/2017 8:18:26 PM >

Post #: 116
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/20/2017 8:33:52 PM   
cpdeyoung

@Rufus,

As always you have been a pleasure to play against, but I have shared your frustration as defenders continuously defied your Axis forces.

You deserve a much better situation than you found yourself in. Please bring your formidable talents to one of the new games forming up. I would be happy to fight at your side, or to oppose you.

@TortugaPower,

What a trooper! I am so sorry that the game turned out to be an exercise in production and training for you. You deserved much better also and I hope to play against, or with, you in a future game.

@Rufus, and TortugaPower,

I would be willing to shuffle roles in this game if both of you were interested. I would take the Axis. I did not realize that playing the Axis in this format would be so challenging. The coordination the Western Allies can achieve is daunting. Maybe I could learn from what happened to Rufus, and maybe I would just run into the "Mega-Minor" syndrome, but I would be willing to try.

Thank you both for a well fought game in a flawed format.

Chuck

Post #: 117
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/21/2017 3:17:19 PM   
RufusTFirefly

I have to say that I am not happy with the situation.

Tortugapower has played many turns in preparation for a war. Now it looks like it was in vain. I agree with Chuck that this is not how it should be.

Chuck wanted to see some late war SFTs, but we are still at 1939. Me too thinks it would be interesting to develop the tech levels and deploy some late war units.

Changing sides is one option.

Here is another one, that is a bit off of regular gameplay. Axis retreats to the eastern banks of river Rhine and France/ GB and Axis agree in cease fire. Axis would continue fighting for Czechia (I cannt allow French units to stay so close to Berlin). Axis will move its armies eastwards and attack SU. Once one of three cities (Leningrad, Stalingrad, Moscow) falls, cease fire in the west would end. And USA might join war as well.
The idea behind this is that Tortugapower gets the chance to fight. As Axis might be superior in the early years, the west would join the war again before SU is defeated. Axis would have to fight a two front war and would have to switch from offensive to defence in the east. This would enable Tortugapower to strike back, play an offensive role as well (and make Axis pay). Surely Axis would loose while fighting against western powers and SU at the same time. But this is ok. We would see some late war battles. And this is what we wanted to see.

Japan and China might continue fighting their war as before.

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 1/21/2017 3:18:37 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 118
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/21/2017 3:31:53 PM   
cpdeyoung

That would be fine with me. It would give Barbarossa a chance.

Chuck

Post #: 119
RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC - 1/21/2017 11:56:07 PM   
tortugapower

Well, well, well... very interesting discussion. First of all, you both have been patient and true gentlemen about this game so far. I think it would be great if we can find a way to fight through. I will leave a number of alternatives, I'm going to throw everything at a wall and just see what sticks...

(Already proposed)

#1 What rufus proposed: Axis retreats to about original Western border and we have Barbarossa with Allied coming in to rejoin. This solution is elegant for its simplicity, but I feel it unfavorably dooms the Axis.

#2 Chuck, did you mean switch places in the game as it is right now, or restart the game with you as the Axis? Probably the latter?

(Or more bizarre choices...)

#3 USA is "permanently" neutral. If USA were never to enter the war, do either of you think the Axis could ring out a victory? Or does the current situation already preclude any hope for the Axis. (We can revise later if Axis tilt the balance heavily in their favor)

#4 We cede all non-French European holdings to the Germans. The Czech cease resistance and allow themselves to be conquered.

#5 We call a temporary armistice. The Axis and Allies agree to a peace treaty, which the Axis will again violate when they have prepared better (I'm not sure this will help though, considering how defense-oriented this game tends to be, and giving the Allies time to maximally-concentrate their defense).

Many of these could be joined together.

#6 I'm going to mention one last option. It's not my favorite, but it was something I have given thought to, and it's not *too* far from a historical possibility. The USSR can enter the war on the same side as the Axis temporarily, assisting the Axis to gain an adequate land foothold, and then we can see how this goes and discuss an Axis (or Soviet) betrayal later on. I think Barbarossa is the main draw of the Russian side, but hopefully that can still happen later.

I'm happy to "engineer" the game diplomacy in order to balance the teams, swinging different nations to different factions to keep a relative balance.

I'm also okay if the series has really no hope and we just want to begin a new game. At least I have learned a lot about this scenario.

Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: GD1938 Game 25 old VC Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI