Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NOT Impressed!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> NOT Impressed!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 6:40:02 AM   
captkiwi

I wish we could receive a refund for games that are disappointing. You are forever clicking on buttons, can't make line attacks out of the woods,always have red X's. ( I guess the developer never heard of the battle of the Wilderness). Rules are not really clear on what you can do or not. Very disappointed....
Post #: 1
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 7:31:10 AM   
zakblood

did you do the tutorials or read the manual?

as it's clearly explained, but yes it's not a straight forward and also can be harder to learn than some, but once mastered, is as good as any out atm imo, then again i was on the beta so maybe spent more or as much time on it as most here, ask what you like, while many aren't talking about it here, there's plenty still enjoying and playing it, me for one, so sorry to hear you don't like it

(in reply to captkiwi)
Post #: 2
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 2:12:54 PM   
bazjak

Someone else agrees with me
Like I said before a proper tutorial and maybe this game will take off

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 2:42:44 PM   
Yogi the Great

Actually I think it is the best most realistic and most promising Civil War turn based game out there. What I haven't been impressed with is only that I would like to see the series be expanded, while they do still plan to do so the pace is way too slow.

I have no problem with them adding a good tutorial and I do understand that the differences in this game from other standard fare games can make it a little more confusing and frustrating at first. I would encourage buyers to not give up however as you are really missing out on a real gem.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 4
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 5:52:55 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Actually I think it is the best most realistic and most promising Civil War turn based game out there. What I haven't been impressed with is only that I would like to see the series be expanded, while they do still plan to do so the pace is way too slow.

I have no problem with them adding a good tutorial and I do understand that the differences in this game from other standard fare games can make it a little more confusing and frustrating at first. I would encourage buyers to not give up however as you are really missing out on a real gem.

+1

Well said... I agree completely.

Edit: The red X's can indeed be frustrating especially early on .... I hope players keep trying.

< Message edited by jack54 -- 10/2/2016 6:10:31 PM >

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 7:25:04 PM   
bazjak

quote:

:

Well said... I agree completely.

Edit: The red X's can indeed be frustrating especially early on .... I hope players keep trying.

You might well agree its a good game
It would be played a lot more if it had a decent tutorial as i would love to play it
If its that great why are these forums so quite
Seems to me that not that many play it
Those that do will no doubt get on to me but as iv said all i would like to see is a tutorial like some other games

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 6
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 7:59:08 PM   
zakblood

quote:

If its that great why are these forums so quite

if anyone can answer that and many other questions on life in general, you can have a badge

the answer is 42

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 7
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 8:00:12 PM   
jack54

I'm not trying to get on you at all; there is nothing wrong with a Good tutorial. I also have a suspicion that not many are playing.

I'm not a fanboy...I find the sprites etroustios and only play with counters.
It would also be nice if the developers would stop by once in a while and address customers concerns. Unfortunately, I've been through this before with this company so I'm not expecting much good news. I like the game and was merely trying to encourage players to keep trying.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 8
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/2/2016 8:25:15 PM   
zakblood

i also think the tutorial could have been better, the manual simpler, the editor easier so agree with most of what's being said, but still think same as Yogi the Great, there is no better out atm

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 9
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/3/2016 5:41:16 PM   
bazjak

Thank you both for your reply [jack and zak]
I would like to get into this game but i just cant seem too
I dont want to cause any trouble
If i offend i am sorry
But all i have i am after is a decent tutorial like other games

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/3/2016 5:51:22 PM   
zakblood

i think we all understand where your coming from, as gamer's one and all here, we all know what it's like to buy something then have no or little idea on how to play it, been there, done that and stopped playing many games because of it, all i can say, is when Yogi the Great and me, and many others were on the beta, we spent many hours on each map, learning how to play, the manual and guides and tutorial came much later, years went by before most even knew fully how the game really worked in all it's glory, as yet i've not managed to read the manual, as i'm not a great manual reader, love books, but manuals to me are a large turn off.

so for me, play on easy and have everything on to help while you learn the game, play the smallest first, the tutorial one and play it to death, so you understand the real basics, then and only then move onto the next size maps, the full larger ones can be hard or harder to fully get to grips with unless these small steps are taken, as some battle are a lot harder than they look, and the UI and design isn't there to help you sometimes, so it all adds up to luck first, then skill second until you really master the game, then luck only comes into it on rare events, a random General dies, poor luck etc etc

so good luck, and the developer will reply once it's seen, as we are only members who game also, they make them and know how it works inside out, and are also the only ones who can do better tutorials and manuals to help buyers, as my attempt may be worse than is what's out and more than likely wrong

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 11
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/4/2016 1:59:53 AM   
Rosseau

I am more the fanboy type, but have posted before on my disappointment with this game. When it first came out I was so excited I visited one of the battlefields for a vacation - a mistake on my part.

My main gripes as usual is that the "moddable data files" are a big headache to mod and that has not been addressed. In fact in the past 1.5 years, nothing much has been addressed. Not even a free scenario. And it cost $50, which is a lot in gaming terms today.

I still love and play the dev's Conflict of Heroes series. Nor am I saying it is a "bad" game. My guess is not enough sales for continued investment, which is the plague of some wargames today.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/6/2016 6:20:15 AM   
Zap

I've stayed out because ,for me they made the wrong choice of battle. Gettysburg would have BEEN BETTER FOR ALL AROUND. More purchases, more activity here, and more support. As it is, I just can't get off the fence.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/11/2016 3:27:54 PM   
kennonlightfoot

BaB is an excellent simulation of Civil War combat at the regimental level. Probably the best on the market. A tutorial would help but like HPS and JT games, all it has is a manual and a very brief intro scenario. The information is there but it takes some serious study of the manual to figure it out. The "X"s are there for a purpose but probably not the best graphic that could have been used. The game tries to introduce Fog of War and command control to a Civil War game that is distinctly lacking in all other PBEM games so far.

That said it unfortunately was released with a rather simple set of scenarios and only one major battle, First Manassas, covered. It badly needs to cover a large major battle and sub scenarios like Gettysburg. It also has a serious problem in handling opponent's turn replay. There is a lack of activity on the game for probably the same reason I haven't been playing it. I've played every scenario and tried about every tactic in the First Manassas ones that there is nothing new to do. So I wait for a new release and hope it isn't just Second Manassas and few more small scenarios. It really needs a "fun" big scenario with a lot of interest like Gettysburg.

Like most games if you want to learn it the best way is through the forums. Post specific questions about how the game works and I think someone will answer it. I check the forums every few days to new posts.

The other method is to arrange a game with someone who has played it a lot and have them critique your moves and give you tactical advice as you play. This is a game that rewards good command control and having a tactical plan. The game is designed so that once forces get engaged it is very difficult to disengage and make major tactical moves. Other games, like HPS, allow you to suddenly shift directions and forces at the drop of a hat but this one doesn't.

Kennon

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 14
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/23/2016 10:27:59 PM   
barkhorn45

My problem has alway's been the main screen.I wish some of the on screen windows could be slid out of view like the bottom left window much of its info appears on the right of the screen.It is like your viewing the battlefield thru a letterbox.Tried playing a few times but zooming out does not help.shame,i wish there had been a demo would have saved me money,oh well not the first time and probably not the last.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 15
RE: NOT Impressed!! - 10/25/2016 3:35:28 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

My problem has alway's been the main screen.I wish some of the on screen windows could be slid out of view like the bottom left window much of its info appears on the right of the screen.It is like your viewing the battlefield thru a letterbox.Tried playing a few times but zooming out does not help.shame,i wish there had been a demo would have saved me money,oh well not the first time and probably not the last.

What size screen do you have?
The info box on the bottom left is rather small compared to the battlefield screen. The jump map is the only large box covering the right lower corner. It would be nice to be able to move it and resize it, but you can turn it off in the options menu.

Kennon

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> NOT Impressed!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI