Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 10 compatibility sort of

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Windows 10 compatibility sort of Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 10 compatibility sort of - 9/25/2016 11:05:34 PM   
Rick

My computer is starting to die, so I decided to buy a new one while the old was still running and I could salvage things (setups, etc.)

Anyway, I've been installing software and things were going fine. Until I tried to install Panzer Command. Now I've been playing it with no problem on my old Windows 10 system so I expected no trouble at all. But when I put it on the new machine, I couldn't get it to run no matter what I did. I tried all the 'run as administrator' on both the .exe and the autorun. I tried several compatibility modes.

no luck.

Then I happened to notice the log folder and remembered that maybe the logs would give me a clue.

I checked and sure enough, the log file was showing the game starting but then immediately exiting. I found some error msgs relating to the DirectX audioVideo handler.

That's when it occurred to me to plug in my speakers. Since I was still setting this system up, I had left my speakers attached to my old system.

I removed all the changes I had made to compatibility and plugged in my speakers and PCO ran just fine without any tweaks needed.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Rick

Post #: 1
RE: Windows 10 compatibility sort of - 9/27/2016 12:20:32 PM   
Rush

Thanks for those useful tips for Win 10 users.

I never took the plunge for Win 10. I was nervous a lot of games wouldn't be working as Im used to on Win 8.1 and Win XP.`

What I noticed using Win 8.1 with PcO was that I had to change the date format to MM/DD/YYYY for Win 8.1, and apart from that I have never had any problems running PcO on Win 8.1 or Win XP

Happy its working on Win 10. more players should give PcO a run through, its well worth it Imho.

Cheers,

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 10 compatibility sort of - 9/27/2016 2:54:28 PM   
**budd**

Agreed on PCO. I had the same concerns regarding Win 10 but it has turned out well, I really like it now. Strangely enough some older games that I couldn't run on win7 run on win10, in fact so far everything has run. Only had to adjust one game which insisted on being installed on the c drive.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Rush)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Windows 10 compatibility sort of Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI