Windows 10 compatibility sort of

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

rickier65

Windows 10 compatibility sort of

Post by rickier65 »

My computer is starting to die, so I decided to buy a new one while the old was still running and I could salvage things (setups, etc.)

Anyway, I've been installing software and things were going fine. Until I tried to install Panzer Command. Now I've been playing it with no problem on my old Windows 10 system so I expected no trouble at all. But when I put it on the new machine, I couldn't get it to run no matter what I did. I tried all the 'run as administrator' on both the .exe and the autorun. I tried several compatibility modes.

no luck.

Then I happened to notice the log folder and remembered that maybe the logs would give me a clue.

I checked and sure enough, the log file was showing the game starting but then immediately exiting. I found some error msgs relating to the DirectX audioVideo handler.

That's when it occurred to me to plug in my speakers. Since I was still setting this system up, I had left my speakers attached to my old system.

I removed all the changes I had made to compatibility and plugged in my speakers and PCO ran just fine without any tweaks needed.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Rick

Recognition

RE: Windows 10 compatibility sort of

Post by Recognition »

Thanks for those useful tips for Win 10 users.

I never took the plunge for Win 10. I was nervous a lot of games wouldn't be working as Im used to on Win 8.1 and Win XP.`

What I noticed using Win 8.1 with PcO was that I had to change the date format to MM/DD/YYYY for Win 8.1, and apart from that I have never had any problems running PcO on Win 8.1 or Win XP

Happy its working on Win 10. more players should give PcO a run through, its well worth it Imho.

Cheers,
https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

budd

Post by budd »

Agreed on PCO. I had the same concerns regarding Win 10 but it has turned out well, I really like it now. Strangely enough some older games that I couldn't run on win7 run on win10, in fact so far everything has run. Only had to adjust one game which insisted on being installed on the c drive.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

It runs fine on win 10 except for the Gypsy Baron (Spzabt 503) scenarios that were part of the last patch. It loads under Win7 but with Win10 it crashed when it gets to "Loading Units".

Which really sucks since I'm really interested in the Debrecen 44 offensive.
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: erichswafford

It runs fine on win 10 except for the Gypsy Baron (Spzabt 503) scenarios that were part of the last patch. It loads under Win7 but with Win10 it crashed when it gets to "Loading Units".

Interesting, I know I checked those. But I just tried loading the first one and it crashed as well on "....Loading Units...". I"ll check into this after lunch.

Thanks
Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: rickier65

Interesting, I know I checked those. But I just tried loading the first one and it crashed as well on "....Loading Units...". I"ll check into this after lunch.

Thanks
Rick

Ok, Did some more digging, I found I can crash it without even attempting to load the scenario, so that will save some time as loading takes a while.

I'll do some more checking.

Thanks
Rick
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

Thanks
Rick

Ok, Did some more digging, I found I can crash it without even attempting to load the scenario, so that will save some time as loading takes a while.

Thanks
Rick
If this helps, I've narrowed it down to Win 10. I installed PCO onto an old laptop that still runs Win7 and it both loaded the scenarios and also allowed you (in the campaign) to click on the various units. With all my Win10 machines, either loading those missions or clicking on the units leads to a crash.

And it's not just the GypsyBaron missions. The Achtung Panzerjaeger! mission (and possibly many more?) also won't load (and crashes if you click on any unit).

Here's the relevant part of my log file that shows the crash error when you click on a unit:

=================================================================
5/25/2020 7:04:42 PM: Create Flags: HardwareVertexProcessing
5/25/2020 7:04:42 PM: Device Type: Hardware
5/25/2020 7:05:07 PM: Viewing Briefing: spzabt503opgysybaron
5/25/2020 7:05:09 PM: Unit Purchase - campaign: spzabt503opgysybaron
5/25/2020 7:05:09 PM: Unit Purchase - scenario: spzabt503thebridgehead
5/25/2020 7:05:11 PM: MessageManager.Notify: message = 'LEFT_MOUSE_BUTTON_UP', reference = ''
5/25/2020 7:05:11 PM: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.LoadWeaponData(String weaponId, Int32 gunPlacementIndex)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.GetSelectedArmouredUnitData(String unitId)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.ListUnitDetails(String unitId)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.OnMessage(GameMessage message, Object o)
at Lib.Messenger.MessageManager.Notify(GameMessage message, Object reference)
5/25/2020 7:05:11 PM: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Lib.Messenger.MessageManager.OnTime(Single dt)
at MainClass.Render(Boolean force)
at MainClass.RenderLoop()
5/25/2020 7:05:12 PM: Program Exited.
=============================================================

I looked up "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." and that is a fairly common .Net error. So it looks like maybe something with .Net?

I tried reinstalling .Net using different compatibility modes but it still crashes.
- Ovid
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Thanks
Rick

Thanks
Rick
If this helps, I've narrowed it down to Win 10. I installed PCO onto an old laptop that still runs Win7 and it both loaded the scenarios and also allowed you (in the campaign) to click on the various units. With all my Win10 machines, either loading those missions or clicking on the units leads to a crash.

And it's not just the GypsyBaron missions. The Achtung Panzerjaeger! mission (and possibly many more?) also won't load (and crashes if you click on any unit).

Here's the relevant part of my log file that shows the crash error when you click on a unit:

=================================================================
5/25/2020 7:04:42 PM: Create Flags: HardwareVertexProcessing
5/25/2020 7:04:42 PM: Device Type: Hardware
5/25/2020 7:05:07 PM: Viewing Briefing: spzabt503opgysybaron
5/25/2020 7:05:09 PM: Unit Purchase - campaign: spzabt503opgysybaron
5/25/2020 7:05:09 PM: Unit Purchase - scenario: spzabt503thebridgehead
5/25/2020 7:05:11 PM: MessageManager.Notify: message = 'LEFT_MOUSE_BUTTON_UP', reference = ''
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.LoadWeaponData(String weaponId, Int32 gunPlacementIndex)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.GetSelectedArmouredUnitData(String unitId)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.ListUnitDetails(String unitId)
at GameLib.Mainmenu.TOAndE.OnMessage(GameMessage message, Object o)
at Lib.Messenger.MessageManager.OnTime(Single dt)
at MainClass.Render(Boolean force)
at MainClass.RenderLoop()
5/25/2020 7:05:12 PM: Program Exited.
=============================================================

I looked up "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." and that is a fairly common .Net error. So it looks like maybe something with .Net?

I tried reinstalling .Net using different compatibility modes but it still crashes.

Thanks for the info and the effort. I'm checking into it, though if it turns out to be a Win 10 I'm not sure I'll be able to fix. It may take me some time to track down but I'll post when I find something, or post when i give up looking.

Thanks!
Rick
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

I appreciate it. Unfortunately my sole remaining Windows 7 device has a bad GPU, so I'm stuck with Intel integrated graphics (game looks like a slideshow). It's really weird because only certain scenarios are affected. That would seem to indicate it's not something fundamental with the game engine, but a configuration issue of some kind.
- Ovid
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I appreciate it. Unfortunately my sole remaining Windows 7 device has a bad GPU, so I'm stuck with Intel integrated graphics (game looks like a slideshow). It's really weird because only certain scenarios are affected. That would seem to indicate it's not something fundamental with the game engine, but a configuration issue of some kind.

Sorry to hear about your Win7 GPU. I still haven't pin pointed the problem, but as you point out, it's specific to some scenarios. I'm still looking.

I've also bought a tutorial on GIMP, a 3D modeling program, to see if I can figure out how to use that with PCO models. I know almost nothing about models and modeling in PCO.

Thanks
Rick
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

Well, I managed to get Windows & installed and working on my modern Win10 laptop (thank God it's a Skylake i7-6700HQ processor and so I managed to scrounge around the internet and assemble enough drivers to get it working). Had it been any newer than that, and the chipset would've been entirely unsupported for Win7.

I'm working on a clunky dual-boot setup so I can go into Win10 for everything else and then Win7 for those few games that don't run under Win10. Actually, PCO is, thus far, the only game I have that doesn't run fine with Win10!

While we're talking, do you have any theories as to why this game never achieved the popularity of the Combat Mission series?
- Ovid
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Well, I managed to get Windows & installed and working on my modern Win10 laptop (thank God it's a Skylake i7-6700HQ processor and so I managed to scrounge around the internet and assemble enough drivers to get it working). Had it been any newer than that, and the chipset would've been entirely unsupported for Win7.

I'm working on a clunky dual-boot setup so I can go into Win10 for everything else and then Win7 for those few games that don't run under Win10. Actually, PCO is, thus far, the only game I have that doesn't run fine with Win10!

While we're talking, do you have any theories as to why this game never achieved the popularity of the Combat Mission series?

I'mm still looking at the problems with those scenarios. I switched maps, and incrementally deleted units and still crashed. I'm going to try something else to see if I can find the problem.

As far as popularity, I'm not sure. If we had been able to put out new modules faster, I think that would have helped. But creating the models for new vehicles took a fair amount of time, and only 2 or 3 individuals learned to do the modelling, and creating maps took a fair amount of time. So there wasn't a lot of community creations.

Rick
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

I did manage to get a fully functional Win7 install via the brute force method of installing an entirely new 512gb SSD to my notebook and booting into that whenever I want to use Win7. I realize that doesn't solve the Win10 incompatibility issue, but I'm leaving it here just in case someone else ends up in the same bind!

The game seems to utilize resources very inefficiently in general, much like the Combat Mission 2.x series. Even with a GTX 1070 and a 3.5ghz i7, most scenarios chug along at 15-25fps. Which is really strange, given how basic the visuals are. I suspect this might have dampened peoples' enthusiasm somewhat as well.
- Ovid

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”