Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A matter of "slots"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> A matter of "slots" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A matter of "slots" - 9/21/2016 2:37:07 PM   
m10bob

AE has been a vast improvement over vanilla WITP, much as WITP was an improvement on Uncommon Valor.
(I encourage ownership of both to help learn the system.)

In AE, many more slots were created to allow more ships and aircraft types.

I wonder if it is possible to create a mod with more weapons slots PER PLANE?

At present, planes with many different capabilities and weapons load outs are not able to be replicated unless mods create the ability to purchase those planes with separate assembly lines.

Either the number of mission types might be expanded on these aircraft, or the number of weapon slots might be expanded?

Just a wild example is the 4 engined D.H. transport, which New Zealand used for naval spotting early in the war.
This is not possible in the game, unless the player creates it in the editor, but then it loses its' transport capability.

Post #: 1
RE: A matter of "slots" - 9/21/2016 9:05:09 PM   
Dili

Well it seems you talking about 2 issues: weapons slots and aircraft capabilities.

It is true that weapons slots can add mission capabilities but only with Camera device, you add a camera to a fighter and the aircraft can do recon then.

Other issues:
Bombers often did transport their own units. In game they can only transport supply not units.

Patrol planes are always float planes - despite existing a float ticket -. If you have a land based patrol you can't classify it as patrol except with house rules regarding landing, so you classify as level bomber. But level bombers can't do night naval search even with radar...

There are several planes that where : fighter, naval search like Beaufighter, but only if you classify it has a floatplane you can do all that missions.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: A matter of "slots" - 9/22/2016 2:06:03 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Well it seems you talking about 2 issues: weapons slots and aircraft capabilities.

It is true that weapons slots can add mission capabilities but only with Camera device, you add a camera to a fighter and the aircraft can do recon then.

Other issues:
Bombers often did transport their own units. In game they can only transport supply not units.

Patrol planes are always float planes - despite existing a float ticket -. If you have a land based patrol you can't classify it as patrol except with house rules regarding landing, so you classify as level bomber. But level bombers can't do night naval search even with radar...

There are several planes that where : fighter, naval search like Beaufighter, but only if you classify it has a floatplane you can do all that missions.

Yes, you have pointed out the very limitations I question.

I only suggested the possible "fix" to be either in "weapons" slots, OR mission slots...

As stated, some mods have addressed the issue by creating the same plane in 3 to 5 different "types" of plane, which might be resolved IF that same plane might be given/allowed more types of missions OR weapons slots.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3
RE: A matter of "slots" - 9/22/2016 4:19:27 PM   
Dili

I think the only option for this is in game hardcode to allow certain aircrafts types to do other missions. Then needs an option in a revamped editor to choose what missions a certain aircraft can do.

I have no idea what kind of coding investment that means. If copying the floatplane code into fighter bomber code is enough or there is much more to it.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: A matter of "slots" - 9/22/2016 5:10:10 PM   
m10bob

Correct on all points Dili, and that is why I asked the question as I did..MichaelM or someone of his skillset may be able to do this.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> A matter of "slots" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI