Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/3/2016 10:08:28 PM   
Stelteck

Ok let's see the big picture.

Now i'am beginning to have a clear view of ennemy offensive.

He chooses to attack around voronev, which is a place lightly defended, and from here he have a lot of options. He can go north to moscow, or south to stalingrad and the caucasus.

The good thing is that both moscow and caucasus are quite far away.

The battle of voronev is lost and i will not stop dead german offensive. So i need now to control it.

My priority is still moscow.

My plan is now to keep strong defense north and to send him further and further east in the search of a north passage, always with the risk of being attacked in the flank by my corps.

If i can convince him to finaly go south, bonus point.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 211
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/4/2016 10:05:11 PM   
Stelteck

Turn 51 : 04 June 1942

A sad day for the soviet union.

200 000 isolated soviet soldiers, from the southern front have been captured by the evil german !!! They will also have plundered a lot of equipment and i fear that i will have to face more german T-34 in the future. (I already killed 80 of them).

The good news is that i'am beginning to have spare tanks in my stockpile. Currently, around 1000.

The ennemy now try to assault northern moscow !!! But it is not as easy as west moscow.

Still the ennemy slowly decrease fortification level. But it is probably too late as now i'am able to create rifle corps !!!!!

A rifle corps is created by merging 3 soviet infantry units and unlike tank corps, is immediatly a fearsome fighting force !!! At least i have a unit that can go on part with a german infantry division.

These first rifle corps (created from guard division, so they are guard too ) will help defend moscow.

I will first convert the guarrison of moscow and my 3 elite armies.

Their weakness is that they cost a lot of expansive armement so i cannot create too much. But they are cheaper than 3 divisions in manpower.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 12/4/2016 10:07:04 PM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 212
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 12:08:45 AM   
M60A3TTS

Not wise to merge 3 divisions. Better to do it with 2 divisions and a brigade. That way you effectively turn a brigade into a division for free.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 213
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 1:51:10 AM   
Farfarer61

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Not wise to merge 3 divisions. Better to do it with 2 divisions and a brigade. That way you effectively turn a brigade into a division for free.

It has been awhile, but I recall that if you manage the "merge brigades to divisions" cycle, then merge two divisions plus a brigade, and and use the minimum number of Guards units in this process to end up with a Guards Corps, you get these over strength monster corps which will eventually reduce to their correct size, but not before being very useful, particularly with Sappers or whatever SU is the best available added to them.

Also by consuming Guards divisions and brigades, a bunch more are created next turn as you are now under the Guards Unit Cap, and you likely had units qualified but queued up to become Guards.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 214
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 7:12:34 AM   
Stelteck

I used 2 guard divisions and one regular brigade to create the guard corps. But i may have to create some additional brigades for this

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 215
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 11:47:01 AM   
ericv

did you know, that you can merge all but 4 of the naval rifle brigades into divisions and/or corps? Only the first 4 rifle brigades with the lowest numbers cannot be merged. I believe 3, 4, 5 and 6. or maybe 3,4,5 and 8. I forgot.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 216
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 11:57:34 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

did you know, that you can merge all but 4 of the naval rifle brigades into divisions and/or corps? Only the first 4 rifle brigades with the lowest numbers cannot be merged. I believe 3, 4, 5 and 6. or maybe 3,4,5 and 8. I forgot.

Seriously there are 4 rifle brigades that are impossible to merge ? LOL.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 217
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 4:13:28 PM   
ericv

I have very little operational or strategic input to offer you.. I do know some of these more obscure things, always thought it strange that there were just 4 brigades unmergeable

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 218
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 4:15:14 PM   
ericv

anyway, good luck with the coming battles. things are not looking that favorably for you

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 219
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 8:09:37 PM   
Stelteck

Turn done !!!

Some german divisions were trying to advance and were punished...

Note that my air force have a hard time fighting german Messerschmitt.

Speaking of the air force, i noticed that roumanian, italian, etc... air force are quite weak !!

So i attack and bomb them as soon as possible !!!

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 220
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 8:11:13 PM   
Stelteck

One question for the pro :

Do i need to fear a german amphibious assault in the caucasus by sea ? Do i need to keep some garrison around the ports in the caucasus ?

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 221
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 8:22:05 PM   
M60A3TTS

No chance. Never seen Pelton do it.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 222
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/5/2016 8:30:44 PM   
Stelteck

Cool so i will be able to send my excellent coastal army to stalingrad.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 223
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/6/2016 7:34:09 AM   
MrBlizzard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

One question for the pro :

Do i need to fear a german amphibious assault in the caucasus by sea ? Do i need to keep some garrison around the ports in the caucasus ?

Germans can't do amphibious assaults, only Soviets can!
German just can do naval transports betweeen German controlled ports.
The Soviets had a real Navy in the Black Sea, also some cruisers, they did some landings operations.
The germans could't bring much 'cause Turkey, that was neutral, didn't allow the Bosphorus passage to military ships.
They just had some torpedo boats and some submarines. Nothing to mount and support an amphibious landing

Blizzard

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 224
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/6/2016 4:17:10 PM   
Stelteck

Turn 52 : 11 June 1942

Ok so my current strategy is a complete failure. My regular rifle divisions are too weak to stop the german offensive in the plain south of moscow, with no defensive terrain bonus. Even with level 2 fortifications.

If i send everything i have, i may be able to cut the encerclement, with 40% of chance, for one turn... Then have a decent chance of loose my best troops.

Currently i'am loosing 15 divisions a turn in contact to the german panzer force, and i cannot bear that until november.

The german army do not even take high looses doing this :

I need more time to convert my elite armies to guard rifle corps and have a real attack capability.

Change of strategy : I will stop trying to defense without significant ground bonus.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 225
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/7/2016 8:18:47 AM   
MrBlizzard

You could give terrain and defend after big rivers. Russia is big and loosing some countryside should not be a problem

Blizzard

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 226
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/7/2016 8:30:24 AM   
Stelteck

Yes i will doing that. The only risk is that i have to avoid loosing moscow in the process.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 227
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/7/2016 6:53:43 PM   
Stelteck

Voronev resist !!!

Supplied by air drop, the defender of Voronev have no intention to surrender !!!

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 228
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/8/2016 5:20:26 PM   
Stelteck

Turn 53 : 18 Juin 1942 :

The soviet crash go on !!!

150K soviet troops surrendered this turn.

But more to come as one army did not retreat fast enough.

Only the brave voronez defenders resisted !!!

Soviet army go under 7 millions for the first time this year...

Panic mode engaged !!!

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 229
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/8/2016 5:27:33 PM   
Stelteck

The only thing i look to attrit is the luftwaffe which have a lot of looses.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 230
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 4:02:30 PM   
Stelteck

Turn 54 : 25 June 1942 !!

Horrible spring is over, now begin the horrible summer !!

Another time near the end of my turn, i realise how so close my lines where to the ennemy, but it was too late to change something.

So i lost another army or two, as usual.

So now i have nothing left in the center.

My only strategic move i can do to get more troops is to give up moscow, but i do not want to do it.

So i will prepare the defense of volga and Ural lol. I hope germans love to walk.

At Least the encercled Voronez is still holding !!!!!

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 12/10/2016 5:06:52 PM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 231
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 9:08:01 PM   
topeverest

how many corps have you built and guard armies?

Andy M

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 232
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 9:30:45 PM   
Stelteck

4 Shock army with cavalry corps. Around 20. a lot of them guard. Around moscow.
3 armies with guard troop only. 2 of them with guard rifle corps. I create 2 new guard rifle corps a turn. Around moscow
1 armies with guard troops and one with mountain troops south.
4 guard rifles corps have to defend moscow full time.
I have 10 tank corps but they are useless currently because of low xp mostly.

I lost 100 divisions in spring, but regular one.

I tried some hit and run with fast troops to have some win each turn, but it is too risky as german air force often interdict my movement and it is really, really effective. Last turn a cavalry corps was left behind (fortunately, it escape).
It is funny that my air force is doing quite well, but unfortunately the last patch nerfed a lot daylight airfield attack, that i was using a lot..... Now even with no defense it is difficult to kill planes on ground.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 233
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 9:32:47 PM   
Stelteck

New plan : So i assume my opponent will ultimately go for moscow.

So i prepare to fight him with my best troops at the large river crossing.

In the center, i will retreat until the volga.

Let's try this.

I noticed him moving some infantry away from peacefull part of the front (like north) to somewhere else. He may have issue to put enough infantry to protect its flank.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 12/10/2016 9:36:10 PM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 234
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 10:19:23 PM   
M60A3TTS

How far behind are you reporting by # of turns? Not much point giving certain advice if it's already no longer useful based on where you actually are.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 235
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/10/2016 10:45:07 PM   
topeverest

I am not experienced in this game, but being 100 units down is not a scenario for defensive victory. Let me suggest you take the initiative and forget about moscow

Andy M

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 236
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/11/2016 6:23:25 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

How far behind are you reporting by # of turns? Not much point giving certain advice if it's already no longer useful based on where you actually are.

I'am in real time.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 237
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/11/2016 3:31:06 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Pelton has found a way of minmaxing his manpower losses through fighting&blizzard a lot. On this way, his 1942 army is ridiculous big. 100-200 000 men more than in other AARs I think?
1/2-1 extra army!
Good luck Stelteck, even if the situation is critical
Begin fortifying Kubyshew

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 238
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/11/2016 3:37:45 PM   
Tollwut

Many thanks for this AAR. It's been a fascinating read. I'm a complete noob myself that just started his first campaign so I'm learning a lot just from reading this stuff.

Cudos to Pelton and Stelteck for a well-fought campaign so far.

Oh and one question if I may.

I think I read somewhere here that Soviet divisions that are lost simply come back even in 1942/43? Is this true? I was under the impression this only happened in 1941.

< Message edited by Tollwut -- 12/11/2016 3:40:47 PM >

"I'll show you where Iron Crosses bloom..." (Steiner)

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 239
RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelto... - 12/11/2016 4:20:50 PM   
Stelteck

quote:

I think I read somewhere here that Soviet divisions that are lost simply come back even in 1942/43? Is this true? I was under the impression this only happened in 1941.

40. Soviet on-map units destroyed after 10/41 (as well as units other than Rifle, Motorized and Tank Divisions destroyed before 11/41) will return as nearly empty reinforcements in 2 to 4 turns. Such units will keep their name, TOE, corps affiliation (in case of divisions), and component division names (in case of corps). Their morale, experience, and win/loss counters will be reset to default values. This process will cost AP (though lack of points will not prevent units from returning): 15 for Corps, 5 for Divisions and Brigades being part of a Corps, 3 for other Brigades and 1 for other units. Forts, Partisans, Airborne, Mountain, Naval, NKVD Border Regiments, as well as Soviet Rumanian, Polish, and Czech units will not be eligible to return.

(In patch V1.08.08)

Since this patch, the units after 10/41 are returning at a cost of PP. This cost is zero for me because i always end the turn with 0 PP left, so they return with no cost.

Of course, they return empty, i need manpower and armement to fill them. Also their XP and morale are minimal.
They need a lots of turn to have an actual combat value, even if you have the spare manpower and armement points.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 12/11/2016 4:21:17 PM >

(in reply to Tollwut)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Another World : AAR Soviet Stelteck Vs German Pelton (No Pelton Zone) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI