From: the bridge of the DNTK Kitakami
Ok, took a good look at displacement, gun weights, etc. Here are a few thoughts:
1. CL Yubari was an experimental ship and a test bed of several new technologies. As such, I do not know if other ships of the class would be built. It was also the smallest of the lot. That being said,
- If others were to be built, I'd suggest 3x additional ships in the class, for a total of 4.
- It would make a decent destroyer leader, if enough DC's are fitted.
- At some point the B and Y turrets could be replaced by double AA turrets (12.7 cm DP from larger ships, maybe?).
2. CL/CM Tenryu look good in CM configuration. Perhaps an upgrade with increased AA as some point. It is true these hulls are small for AA, but lets face it, Japanese naval AA is not a strength, but a weakness.
- Weightwise 4x double 12.7 cm or 10 cm turrets seem to be doable. Length of barrels is shorter, so that should not be a problem either.
- Another option would be to let them keep their cargo capacity and give them more torpedo tubes... if the triple tubes could be found somewhere, or if something would be deducted from the force pools (tanks? small ships?).
3. CL/CM Kuma are the largest of the three classes. I happen to like them, in either torpedo or AA configurations. I am not as keen on their CM configuration.
- If enough torpedo turrets could be made, having all five configured as torpedo cruisers would be fearsome. There would have to be a cost for this to be paid somehow, though.
- Weight would allow their 14 cm guns to be replaced for double AA turrets at some point.
- Whatever armament is decided on, keeping the cargo capacity makes for an interesting little ship with (possibly) big teeth.
Just a few random thoughts. I am no naval engineer, so I don't know how much weight the different calibers add or subtract in ammo and other weight (and hull space).
Tenno Heika Banzai!