Finally, a map of all the Knobs in Australia

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zorch

Finally, a map of all the Knobs in Australia

Post by Zorch »

http://www.cnet.com/news/finally-a-map- ... australia/

"British mapmakers have followed up maps of hilarious place names in the UK and US with one of Australia, land of Titwobble Lane and Pisspot Creek."

Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (260.17 KiB) Viewed 130 times
radic202

RE: Finally, a map of all the Knobs in Australia

Post by radic202 »

Pardon my naivete: but what exactly does knobs mean?
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

http://www.cnet.com/news/finally-a-map- ... australia/

"British mapmakers have followed up maps of hilarious place names in the UK and US with one of Australia, land of Titwobble Lane and Pisspot Creek."

warspite1

These are not all real surely?? [X(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

I might be wrong, but I think knob in this sense is a hill or mound. Brilliant link, and I'm not sure which is my favourite.Certainly "Well it wasn't there last year cave" is among the favourites
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

It's not really complete - they don't have my personal favourite "Bear Bung' in Central NSW
Zap

Post by Zap »

Oh good, more names Hollywood celebrities can use to name their children.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Just off the top of my head, in my home state of Tasmania, I can think of Bagdad (yep...it's spelled that way), Nowhere Else (it's at the end of a road), Dismal Swamp (and the state tourism authorities were wondering why it wasn't a more popular place to visit) and Black Charlie's Opening (sounds inviting [:'(])

Bagdad is an obvious misspelling of the Middle Eastern city and it joins The Walls of Jerusalem, the Nile River, Jericho, Jordan, and Lake Tiberius as a Taswegian place name. This is because soon after Hobart was founded in 1804, a member of the Royal Marines named Hugh Germain (possibly Germaine) explored inland, and the only books he had were the Bible and Arabian Nights.

Funny sounding place names are hardly unique to Australia though. The U.S. has plenty and Britain is absolutely loaded with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_nam ... ed_unusual

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Oh good, more names Hollywood celebrities can use to name their children.
+1
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

"I was holed up in Boring, Oregon, wondering whether I should try someplace different. So I hopped in my car and drove to Why, Arizona, to figure things out. After a few days I found my answer in Whynot, Mississippi: I needed a town with some life to it. I made a beeline for Disco, Tennessee, where I danced so much, I wore out my shoes. The next day, I headed to Loafers Glory, North Carolina, for a new pair..."

"Afterward I looked sharp enough to take a break in Handsome Eddy, New York. Eddy wasn't around, but I knew where to find him—in Loveladies, New Jersey, where it seemed that all the women were trying to get to Husband, Pennsylvania..."

"It was a tough town. One gal told me my romancing needed work and sent me to Sweet Lips, Tennessee. Heartbroken, I put the car on cruise control and drove to Lonelyville, New York, for a stiff drink. I made a pit stop in The Bottle, Alabama, and finally hit rock bottom in Condemned Bar, California. Not surprisingly, I woke up the next morning in Cranky Corner, Louisiana. I knew that if I continued like this, I'd be headed straight to … Hell, Michigan..."

"Pulling myself together, I grabbed breakfast in Oatmeal, Texas, lunch in Sandwich, Massachusetts, and dessert in Pie Town, New Mexico. I should've stopped eating after Greasy, Oklahoma, because I was feeling pretty sick by the time I left Lick Skillet, Tennessee..."

"In Brilliant, Ohio, it finally dawned on me—I had to cease my wandering ways. I parked in Do Stop, Kentucky, took out the map, and chose my new home. I didn't need Wealthy, Texas, or Fame, West Virginia. I found everything I needed in Happyland, Oklahoma."

Not my work, but I used to do this with music and movie titles.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Somehow I thought a map of all the 'knobs' in Australia would just be a census map. Or am I getting my british slang wrong?
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa

Somehow I thought a map of all the 'knobs' in Australia would just be a census map. Or am I getting my british slang wrong?
Well played! [&o]
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Pvt_Grunt

ORIGINAL: bobarossa

Well played! [&o]
You said it. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I always thought a knob was a rocky out crop. My favourite name for a place or a road is Boho Church rd off the Hume Highway near Wangaratta. Servicemen and women, bushwalkers and holiday makers who travel north by road would have noticed it. As long as my memory can support me, the sign for this road was/is a very big reflective green freeway sign, I have travelled that hwy for 40 years plus sadly not as much recently. Sadly I have never travelled down that road to see if there was achurch.[:D]
Has anyone else??
Formerly Goodwood

Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

My favorite is Iron Knob, in SA. 50 years old and I still chuckle when I see it on a map! [:D][:D][:o][:o][8|][8|]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Knob

Return to “General Discussion”