Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Southern Storm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Southern Storm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Southern Storm - 9/3/2016 8:53:26 PM   
tbridges

How about some more info about SS now that you're full into it? What theaters will be covered? North Africa, Italy, Sicily? What years will be covered? How long are you planning for its development? Six months, a year, or...?

What else can you reveal to really get our mouths watering?

Tom

The easy way is always mined...
Post #: 1
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 1:22:40 AM   
Capn Darwin

Southern Storm is still Cold War based Central Europe in the 80s. Adding in 4 new countries to the mix (Canada, France, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia). Beyond that we will be looking to add and improve a number of features we've talked about over the past year or so of Red Storm work. We will start to talk a bit more about things soon and we want to start a designer blog over on our website to highlight some of those new items as we move forward. As for release timing, when it's done and ready.

13 Update is live! Everyone is working hard on Southern Storm!

Website still in limbo

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations

(in reply to tbridges)
Post #: 2
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 3:10:25 AM   
tbridges

Cool, but why is it called Southern Storm?

Tom

The easy way is always mined...

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 4:05:35 AM   
Capn Darwin

Southern Germany/Europe Front. We will look at other areas after release like the North (Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Poland) and even some talk of an Arctic Storm with Sweden, Norway and Finland, but that's all talk right now. Plus we want to hit other places (Med/Mid-East, Far East, etc.) and times (WW2, modern, and other cold war decades). Just going to take some time to get there.

Website still in limbo

On Target Simulations

(in reply to tbridges)
Post #: 4
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 5:56:27 AM   
kevinkin

Darn. So you never hired interns to convert the database and model over to WWII. Well there is always next summer. But you know how nature abhors a vacuum. What did Georgie say? "A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week." Of course I am biased toward WWII and it shows.

Post #: 5
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 1:31:26 PM   
rocketboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Southern Germany/Europe Front. We will look at other areas after release like the North (Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Poland) and even some talk of an Arctic Storm with Sweden, Norway and Finland, but that's all talk right now. Plus we want to hit other places (Med/Mid-East, Far East, etc.) and times (WW2, modern, and other cold war decades). Just going to take some time to get there.

I would absolutely love Arctic Storm. Not that many wargames that take place in Sweden. Turn "talk" into "action" - please

Post #: 6
RE: Southern Storm - 9/4/2016 10:27:31 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Darn. So you never hired interns to convert the database and model over to WWII.

The team has gone from 2 to our current 6. I would say we are aware of how to build a team. Interns not withstanding!

quote:

Well there is always next summer. But you know how nature abhors a vacuum. What did Georgie say? "A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week."

George was talking about actual warfare not games based on it. We have a really good plan or two, trust me on this - I've seen the plans, but they need much more work before you would think they should be executed.

quote:

Of course I am biased toward WWII and it shows.

You are with some very good company including the design team. We will move the game series out to encompass more time frames. God willing and the creek don't rise. It just takes time when you have guys that do this in their spare time. Everything takes time.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 9/4/2016 10:29:45 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to kevinkin)
Post #: 7
RE: Southern Storm - 9/7/2016 2:15:39 PM   
Tophat1812

I initially thought Southern Storm was to be the Med front and southern europe................

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 8
RE: Southern Storm - 9/7/2016 7:10:21 PM   
Grognerd

quote:

Well this is a little gem of a game, don't take too long, I'm 64 and can't wait forever! Ha...

One thing to consider in making a decision where to take this engine. There is another Matrix Game from another design group. Has Brexit in the title. Updating to a very modern standard and using flashpoints around the world today this might bring greater relevancy to this series. A simulation based in the 80's over wars that did not occur can only take you so far...

(in reply to kevinkin)
Post #: 9
RE: Southern Storm - 9/8/2016 9:33:38 PM   
Tophat1812

quote:

Southern Storm is still Cold War based Central Europe in the 80s. Adding in 4 new countries to the mix (Canada, France, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia). Beyond that we will be looking to add and improve a number of features we've talked about over the past year or so of Red Storm work. We will start to talk a bit more about things soon and we want to start a designer blog over on our website to highlight some of those new items as we move forward. As for release timing, when it's done and ready.

No Polish forces?

Post #: 10
RE: Southern Storm - 9/9/2016 12:07:21 AM   
Capn Darwin

As stated above, Poland will be added with the Northern Storm expansion after Southern is launched.

Website still in limbo

On Target Simulations

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 11
RE: Southern Storm - 5/2/2017 5:13:55 AM   
Akmatov

SS will be an insta buy as I was stationed in Bavaria around that time. 😊

< Message edited by Akmatov -- 5/2/2017 5:14:35 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Southern Storm - 5/3/2017 1:25:29 AM   
RedCharlie65

Anything you guys make is an instant buy from me.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 13
RE: Southern Storm - 5/6/2017 1:42:05 AM   
Mad Russian

What unit were you assigned to Akmatov?

Thanks for the support. We appreciate all of you as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to RedCharlie65)
Post #: 14
RE: Southern Storm - 5/6/2017 7:38:12 AM   
nukkxx

Is SS an addon/DLC to the main FPC or a completely new game ?
Will all maps and features of FPC still exist in SS ?
Thanks

Post #: 15
RE: Southern Storm - 5/6/2017 11:16:07 AM   
cbelva

Southern Storm will be a completely new game. Much of the engine is being rewritten and many new features are being added. The plan is to eventually adapt Red Storm maps and scenarios to Southern Storm, but we don't know how that will look (and its possibilities) until we are finished with Southern Storm. Southern Strom should have the look and feel of Red Storm but with many improvements and additions.

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 16
RE: Southern Storm - 5/6/2017 11:39:31 AM   
nukkxx

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

Southern Storm will be a completely new game. Much of the engine is being rewritten and many new features are being added. The plan is to eventually adapt Red Storm maps and scenarios to Southern Storm, but we don't know how that will look (and its possibilities) until we are finished with Southern Storm. Southern Strom should have the look and feel of Red Storm but with many improvements and additions.

Thanks for these precisions. :-)

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 17
RE: Southern Storm - 5/6/2017 12:06:50 PM   
MikeJ19

Looking forward to the chance to play as the Canadians! Keep up the great work!

(in reply to nukkxx)
Post #: 18
RE: Southern Storm - 7/14/2017 1:12:41 AM   
edmuel

Coming late to the party having just picked up Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm Player's Edition.

I hope that I'm reading correctly that Southern Storm will cover the US VII Corps area of operations (wheras FCRS is basically V Corps). If so, I would love to see some scenarios with the US 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (my old outfit in the early 80s).

Best,
Ed M

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 19
RE: Southern Storm - 7/14/2017 1:06:53 PM   
Mad Russian

Southern Storm will follow the pattern set by Red Storm. There will be scenarios included that will be based on all the major combat units in the area included in the scenario/campaign set.

How could we possibly do a series of fights that take place in the US VII Corps area and not include clashes involving the 2nd ACR? Not happening. They will be front and center in the action.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to edmuel)
Post #: 20
RE: Southern Storm - 7/16/2017 12:33:14 AM   
Sabre21

I'm pretty happy and enthused you guys have kept this game moving along. You all have really done a swell job on it. I wish you all the best in the coming years and will be looking forward to more releases.

I was in the aviation brigade of the 3rd ID from Jan 83 to Dec 85 at Giebelstadt. Then again in the 3rd ID 3/4 Cav at Schweinfurt from July 88 till June 90. I had some great times in the Cav back in those days.

Andy

Post #: 21
RE: Southern Storm - 8/13/2017 7:21:03 AM   
exsonic01

Can we have rough schedule or brief plan regarding SS development? It is already middle of 2017 August, I really wish to see anything regarding SS...

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 22
RE: Southern Storm - 8/14/2017 1:56:27 PM   
Capn Darwin

We just finished the final Red Storm update that should be out this week. We have been working on Southern Storm activity for a few months and with Red Storm effectively done all of our efforts are on Southern Storm now. We are currently targeting a late spring/early summer 18 release and hopefully beta testing in November/December (that's a best guess and definitely subject to change-as it did already). We will be looking at getting our website revamped and up around October to start talking about the game engine and follow on projects. Right now there's a lot of coding, data work, maps and art work, and other things being done. There won't be much to say or show until we hit that October time frame.

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 8/14/2017 11:39:44 PM >

Website still in limbo

On Target Simulations

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 23
RE: Southern Storm - 8/14/2017 4:30:25 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

... Right now there's a lot of coding, data work, maps and art work, and other things being done. There won't be much to say or show until we hit that October time frame.

At some point, I'd like to hear about the new game design decisions going into the coding work. Particularly about the C2 and limited orders and how that will be improved. Also, I understand more unit SOPs should be implemented, but curious what has been considered and made the cut list for coding. Standing by.

Post #: 24
RE: Southern Storm - 8/14/2017 5:05:04 PM   
Capn Darwin

Pretty much a lot of those questions will start to get some answers in October/November when we free up enough to work the website and ramp up into early beta testing. Right now it's all getting maps ready, working out all of the new data files (my time killer right now), coding around the map values editing, pathing, and weather. Rob is working on getting the revised scenario editor stuff going. Lots of activity to just get into position to work a lot of new stuff. There will be a reworking of the command/delay system. We are adding in some upper-level SOP functions for the player to set on units. The UI is getting a complete overhaul to make it more user-friendly and hopefully scale well with all the crazy monitor setups that are out there now. That's all that is fit to print for now.

< Message edited by Capn Darwin -- 8/14/2017 11:41:03 PM >

Website still in limbo

On Target Simulations

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 25
RE: Southern Storm - 8/17/2017 10:13:21 PM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

I find that the current game engine makes it difficult (not impossible)to arrange ambushes as the units mostly begin engaging at longer ranges than I might want in some situations. Am I correct in assuming that SS will address things like this in some fashion?? Perhaps a separate ambush command or subcommand, or a slider to set engagement ranges at the unit level or or or......
Just curious.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Post #: 26
RE: Southern Storm - 8/17/2017 11:12:52 PM   
Capn Darwin

We have some ideas to make that better in Southern Storm.

Website still in limbo

On Target Simulations

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Southern Storm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI