Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 2:07:21 PM   
NotOneStepBack

I'll post losses when I get home, but I think I'm down to like 296 ARM and 200ish HI.

I also fear I'm at the point of no return already.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to wonder of Germany is over-powered. And I play both sides. The russians in real life were able to mount some bit of defense in 1941, even by September - Octoberish.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 9/22/2016 2:09:15 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 31
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 6:29:32 PM   
RKhan

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to wonder of Germany is over-powered. And I play both sides. The russians in real life were able to mount some bit of defense in 1941, even by September - Octoberish.

Pitaman played a good game.

RKhan

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 32
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 7:31:22 PM   
charlie0311

NOSB,

BrianG(sov) is defeating Pelton(axis) in current aar. Other ongoing games, experienced players, but not publicized (yet) seem to indicate that the balance is slightly pro-sov. Maybe more than slightly.

Such a long game needs lots of time to test.

The axis summer offensive is "manageable", fun is to figure out how. I did it (maybe??) and I'm a dope.

(in reply to RKhan)
Post #: 33
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 8:18:01 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

NOSB,

BrianG(sov) is defeating Pelton(axis) in current aar. Other ongoing games, experienced players, but not publicized (yet) seem to indicate that the balance is slightly pro-sov. Maybe more than slightly.

Such a long game needs lots of time to test.

The axis summer offensive is "manageable", fun is to figure out how. I did it (maybe??) and I'm a dope.

This game that you reference had the mud turns at the beginning which altered the course of this game. If playing with current rules that game would be different.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 34
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 8:35:08 PM   
charlie0311

Well to each his own. I suppose someone will have to beat Pelton with the following conditions, clear weather, mild blizzard, no sov bonus.

I have two games going now and can't do another. We intend to finish these games and both are in the Spring of '42 timeframe.

Oh yeah, left out, no partisan activation for summer '41.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 35
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 8:41:38 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Eh, I'm no newbie, been playing this game since release, and WITW. I may have made some mistakes but nothing I thought was earth-shattering. I'm welcome to hearing anything that would've turned this out differently. I fought forward here and it crushed me, but still had reserves for the breakthroughs. The Soviets don't have the CV to stop the germans in '41.

His fake-out with Leningrad and the center at the start though really threw me off, that's why I didn't prioritize L-grad as much, so it fell early and it let him redirect his panzers to Moscow. Perhaps the true center is the North.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 9/22/2016 8:43:22 PM >

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 36
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 9:31:56 PM   
charlie0311

Ok, there are two ways.

1) The hard one, fight forward (kind of). For this you have to really, really know the axis abilities. The best players (not me) have done this, and so as the axis summer '41 unfolds they know what they can do. I *think* you have to play the axis against a pretty good sov player to learn this, playing the ai won't cut it.

2) Learn the axis logistics well enough so that you can stay out of reach or near the limit of the axis reach. Run like hell and put up with the whining and bitching about not "historical". Here you need to make a good plan for fac evac. 180HI and 270 ARM is enough, don't "really" need the VEH and quite a lot of the other. I know there is a consensus for 200/300 HI/ARM, my opinion, from my experience would say at least somewhat less. You can lose Leningrad, Moscow, Rostov, and Voronezh and still have enough manpower.

Post #: 37
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 11:14:57 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

Eh, I'm no newbie, been playing this game since release, and WITW. I may have made some mistakes but nothing I thought was earth-shattering. I'm welcome to hearing anything that would've turned this out differently. I fought forward here and it crushed me, but still had reserves for the breakthroughs. The Soviets don't have the CV to stop the germans in '41.

His fake-out with Leningrad and the center at the start though really threw me off, that's why I didn't prioritize L-grad as much, so it fell early and it let him redirect his panzers to Moscow. Perhaps the true center is the North.

Apologies, but your defense of Leningrad was severely lacking. If you make a half-hearted attempt to defend Leningrad, Moscow is at great risk as it gives the Axis player an early opportunity to shift more troops to the center sooner.

What is this airbase defense line on the Luga? You do know that they just displace when next to an enemy unit?

You have Pavlovo with a defense value of 48 and Leningrad is 5?

I only count about 7 visible ground combat units of the Northern Front. That's not even an army's worth. You have to respect the fact that even the 2 panzer corps of PG 4 are going to blow through what little opposition you put in his way. By turn 4 at the very latest, starting at Leningrad itself, you should have had 3 combat units there, and another 3 in the hexes directly east of Leningrad, and another 3 east of that. Each unit should have had a base CV of at least 2 or 3. And that is one of your last lines of defense. Three full Soviet armies should be operating in that area even without an extra German panzer corps.

Post #: 38
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/22/2016 11:33:17 PM   
NotOneStepBack

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

Apologies, but your defense of Leningrad was severely lacking. If you make a half-hearted attempt to defend Leningrad, Moscow is at great risk as it gives the Axis player an early opportunity to shift more troops to the center sooner.

What is this airbase defense line on the Luga? You do know that they just displace when next to an enemy unit?

You have Pavlovo with a defense value of 48 and Leningrad is 5?

I only count about 7 visible ground combat units of the Northern Front. That's not even an army's worth. You have to respect the fact that even the 2 panzer corps of PG 4 are going to blow through what little opposition you put in his way. By turn 4 at the very latest, starting at Leningrad itself, you should have had 3 combat units there, and another 3 in the hexes directly east of Leningrad, and another 3 east of that. Each unit should have had a base CV of at least 2 or 3. And that is one of your last lines of defense. Three full Soviet armies should be operating in that area even without an extra German panzer corps.

This picture is before any moves.

I know how airbases work, they were set up that way to appear to be combat units if he reconned. He totally faked me out, I figured his units were going for the center, I didn't defend Lgrad enough.

I was trying to limit railing of units as much as I could too so save industry, most were committed to the Smolensk area.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 9/23/2016 1:07:14 AM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 39
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 9/29/2016 9:14:05 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Minor update, just got to Mud, I still hold Moscow, but who knows for how long!

Post #: 40
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 10/8/2016 3:22:18 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Mud pics, moscow holds, barely.

North:

Center:

South:

I remain with 123 VEH, 194 HI, and 293 ARM

Post #: 41
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 10/8/2016 6:14:09 AM   
M60A3TTS

What turn is this?

Post #: 42
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 10/8/2016 2:28:33 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Pictures are of turn 18, we're currently on turn 23

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 43
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/2/2016 10:49:11 PM   
M60A3TTS

Anything new in this game?

Post #: 44
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/3/2016 12:28:52 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Yes, sorry for the delay! Myself an Pita were on breaks. We are in blizzard currently (December '41) I also didn't want to keep putting up nothing but mud pictures.

Interesting the game has actually had the Germans stall at this point, I'm noticing his panzers are worn down and the inf divisions are down to 2-3CV in many spots.

Moscow has held on.

Turn 24

North:

Center:

South:

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 11/3/2016 12:30:20 AM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 45
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/3/2016 12:54:35 PM   
chaos45

doesnt look like your in to bad a spot.....and those romanians in the south will be easy wins once blizzard starts if they arent heavily dug in already. Also you will need to try and regain some space around moscow if you can otherwise a slow grinding german offensive in summer 1942 might still take it.

Post #: 46
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/8/2016 3:31:30 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Turn 27, Pita's panzers are down to mostly 2=3 and some even 1=2 units. I wonder if its the blizzard or if he just ran them too hard? We're playing mild blizzard.

I push back in the south and center! North, not so much, but nothing is to be lost there.

North:

Center:

South:

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 11/8/2016 3:32:23 AM >

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 47
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/15/2016 10:27:12 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Sensing more weakness right now at turn 30 in the south.

His panzers at other points on the front are much stronger, I wonder what is happening here?

Post #: 48
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/16/2016 3:27:49 PM   
Red Lancer

@NOSB. Did you get/see my PM?

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 49
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/16/2016 3:59:48 PM   
Red Lancer

Hold on will try again. Shout if nothing seen in next 10 mins. Msg sent.

< Message edited by Red Lancer -- 11/16/2016 4:01:29 PM >

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Post #: 50
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/16/2016 4:16:26 PM   
NotOneStepBack

We're good now. Thanks.

Returning this thread now to the prior AAR :)

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 51
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/16/2016 8:56:13 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

I'll post losses when I get home, but I think I'm down to like 296 ARM and 200ish HI.

I also fear I'm at the point of no return already.

You are in better shape than Brian in our game. You have enough ARM + HI. B lost Moscow and many more factories, and the freebie unit returns came later for him. So be inspired by him but don't copy him by losing Baku. Prepare your defences on the Donets, and build forts in key hexes in the Makalachka/Baku area without further delay.

As I've probably said before, game significantly favours the German player in '41 but only if he is very good. Otherwise, it's more balanced now and certainly it's much tougher for G to win in '42.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/16/2016 9:00:55 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 52
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/17/2016 4:04:32 PM   
TheOne

Nice game

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 53
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/17/2016 7:49:30 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Pita if you are reading your PM inbox is full.

(in reply to TheOne)
Post #: 54
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 11/28/2016 1:19:55 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Been on hold due to Thanksgiving break, should heat up soon again.

Post #: 55
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 12/14/2016 12:17:24 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Turn 36, Feb 19, 1942

Post #: 56
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 1/6/2017 8:17:50 PM   
M60A3TTS

Anything going on in this one?

Post #: 57
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 1/8/2017 10:47:16 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Yes, we've been playing but I've neglected the AAR as I've been pre-occupied with other WITE priorities.

This is the situation though now at turn 40, end of winter, March 19, 1942.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 58
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 2/12/2017 5:26:52 PM   
NotOneStepBack

With the lifting of the mud on T48, some major breakthroughs finally this turn.

Post #: 59
RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) - 2/12/2017 9:33:37 PM   
sillyflower

OUCH

R can be at their most vulnerable in March '42 especially in the south as they tend to be spread out in the open.Lucky you have free unit returns...........

I'm playing Pita's Germans now too. He's doing his T7 atm but we do have full fat blizzard fortunately.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pavlov's House - NOSB (Sov) vs. Pitaman (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI