Sub TF keeps disbanding

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Sub TF keeps disbanding

Post by Chris21wen »

This sub keeps disbanding. I've been trying for the past few turns with various TF setting to get this sub to move to Aus. Every attempt has failed it just keeps disbanding. Anyone know why or more importantly how I can force it to.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (169.33 KiB) Viewed 46 times
geofflambert

RE: Sub TF keeps disbanding

Post by geofflambert »

Looks unseaworthy to me. The crew probably mutinees each time you order it to move. A sub cannot contain flooding like surface ships might. I think you may have to write her off.

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Looks unseaworthy to me. The crew probably mutinees each time you order it to move. A sub cannot contain flooding like surface ships might. I think you may have to write her off.

I got her to move, set it to sub minelayer but also gave the TF a less aggressive commander. I suspect the latter might be the reason she left. Doing 5 kts at cruise and no more damage. Should arrive in Townsville in 4-5 turns.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It may not have been commander aggression that did it (in fact, I'd expect a lower aggression commander to be more likely to return to port than a higher aggression commander), but something else.

The level of damage shown here is not at all high. I don't know why the ship wouldn't leave for you the first time(s). I routinely send my subs (and other ships) towards backfield ports with damage in the 40s, 50, or even 60s and they all go there straightaway. The only time I recall having trouble was with an SST that had Sys/Flooding damage both in the 50s.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The key setting is to give the TF routing orders "Direct/Absolute".
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It was reported under repair in top left, but in Readiness in bottom right. Don't know if that's odd; never noticed.
The Moose
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It was reported under repair in top left, but in Readiness in bottom right. Don't know if that's odd; never noticed.
I think that is normal - in readiness state the engines are not shut down completely (ready for sailing at any time) but repairs are still being carried out as best the crew can do. There might not be much port help in readiness state.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I think that is normal - in readiness state the engines are not shut down completely (ready for sailing at any time) but repairs are still being carried out as best the crew can do. There might not be much port help in readiness state.

Well, true, Readiness is a valid repair state. I guess I'm just bolluxed by the "keeps disbanding" part. There's no screenie of the TF; I'm not sure if he's saying it's set to not disband, but it is still doing so. If it stays in the TF it shouldn't try to repair.
The Moose
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Other than setting absolute and direct, setting the destination as the new home base for the TF, otherwise it tends to return to its current home base when damaged.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I do this out of habit for every TF ever. The TF COs never have the right ideas.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I do this out of habit for every TF ever. The TF COs never have the right ideas.
+1
I wish there was an option to set "Absolute" as default the way you can set "Direct" as default. Would save many thousands of clicks.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Neither commander aggression rating nor routing orders are relevant here.

1.  Subs have a much lower damage threshold level than surface ships when it comes to triggering "cripple" concern status.  The lower damage threshold means that a sub Patrol TF will be treated like a cripple TF even if the word "cripple" is not displayed.

2.  The sub lower damage threshold levels to trigger "cripple" apply to Patrol missions.  Transport and mine laying missions do not come within the lower damage threshold trigger levels as they are one off manually player executed operations.  Of course if under computer control, you are stuck with the threshold trigger levels determined by the programmers.

3.  A sub patrol TF will:

(a) terminate the patrol early and return to port, where it will automatically disband and the sub automatically goes into pierside repair mode, when any damage component reaches 25

(b) having returned from patrol to either refuel or replenish ammo, it will not resume it's patrol if any damage component is at 10.  In this instance the sub patrol TF automatically disbands and the sub automatically goes into pierside repair mode.

Here the OP was experiencing primarily the operation of condition (3)(b) which prevented the sub patrol TF from going out on "patrol".  That a patrol zone was not designated is not mandatory for the "cripple" effect to apply.  What matters is selecting the patrol mission.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Thanks Alfred. I'll know in future.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Thanks Alfred. I'll know in future.
+1.
I was not aware of the cripple threshold nor the mission assignment effects. Thanks for setting us right on that.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Neither commander aggression rating nor routing orders are relevant here.

1.  Subs have a much lower damage threshold level than surface ships when it comes to triggering "cripple" concern status.  The lower damage threshold means that a sub Patrol TF will be treated like a cripple TF even if the word "cripple" is not displayed.

2.  The sub lower damage threshold levels to trigger "cripple" apply to Patrol missions.  Transport and mine laying missions do not come within the lower damage threshold trigger levels as they are one off manually player executed operations.  Of course if under computer control, you are stuck with the threshold trigger levels determined by the programmers.

3.  A sub patrol TF will:

(a) terminate the patrol early and return to port, where it will automatically disband and the sub automatically goes into pierside repair mode, when any damage component reaches 25

(b) having returned from patrol to either refuel or replenish ammo, it will not resume it's patrol if any damage component is at 10.  In this instance the sub patrol TF automatically disbands and the sub automatically goes into pierside repair mode.

Here the OP was experiencing primarily the operation of condition (3)(b) which prevented the sub patrol TF from going out on "patrol".  That a patrol zone was not designated is not mandatory for the "cripple" effect to apply.  What matters is selecting the patrol mission.

Alfred

Ah yes.

Although I'm not positive the damage threshold is 25 - at least for System. I'll have to check next time I have to manually order a sub back to base (one of my periodic routines is opening the ship list, selecting subs only, and sorting by damage).
bobdina

Post by bobdina »

Just last turn I had a sub refuse to leave Midway with 12 system damage with no other damage, thought it was weird till I read Alfreds comments.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

So I was right about mutinies. [:'(] Does anyone have to walk the plank?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

So I was right about mutinies. [:'(] Does anyone have to walk the plank?
Not enough freeboard for plank walking. They just use the torpedo tubes .... and submerge to 300 feet before firing.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”