Oh My God !!!!

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

vonotto

Oh My God !!!!

Post by vonotto »

I'm old, I remember when Squad Leader came out and was in the back of my parents car (no seat belts in the car) holding the new box. As soon as I got home I opened it and was overwhelmed by the number of counters and the rules (this was just plain squad leader). I remember many many many failed attempts to grasp the rules and then to try and find a friend who was interested in playing, Years later I brought home the ASL binder of rules and was again SHOCKED by them. I played many a great games though and over the years job, family and real world obligations took over and all my book case games (that's what they used to be called) went by the wayside. Since then I have played most computer war games since they offered me the luxury of playing when and where I could as well as alone, but I always longed to get back into Squad Leader. I had not been on the matrix forums for a while so I took a peek and saw TOTH. After reading a few reviews and watching Idjester (sp?) on youtube I spent the money. WOW I was not expecting what I got. I have only played the 1st tutorial (7 times so far) but I had to stop to write that this is the most impressive true to my feel of Squad Leader I have ever played since I was in my pre teens. Thank you so much for the work done on this and I hope to see it continue and evolve and not die a slow death. If there is any way I can help I would love to. I know it is missing some rules but those that are missing used to just anger or confuse me for no reason anyway. Thank you again for this awesome tribute to Squad Leader.
Rosseau

RE: Oh My God !!!!

Post by Rosseau »

Anyone with the patience to play ASL is not going to be bothered by the UI elements lacking in this game. I never played ASL, but enjoy the game.

I just hope it is possible to improve the ctrl/click stuff and constantly forcing you to highlight the unit in the panel on the left when giving orders. Possibly because I am not playing the game consistently for a long time, I get more "error" boxes from the UI than anything else.

Good news is the dev is committed for life [;)] and the ASL Men have created hundreds of scenarios. Overall, a recommended game and please spread word to your ASL buddies.
vonotto

Post by vonotto »

The only thing I would love to see (so Far) is the ability to string a long campaign together and keep some core units that could gain experience as they survive. Such as starting with a corporal counter and as the campaign progresses having the possibility that he gets promoted. Or core squads that can if not get stronger maybe gain experience points that may assist in a small way in combat.

Just a couple things I like even thought they may not be doable.

Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Anyone with the patience to play ASL is not going to be bothered by the UI elements lacking in this game. I never played ASL, but enjoy the game.

I just hope it is possible to improve the ctrl/click stuff and constantly forcing you to highlight the unit in the panel on the left when giving orders. Possibly because I am not playing the game consistently for a long time, I get more "error" boxes from the UI than anything else.

Good news is the dev is committed for life [;)] and the ASL Men have created hundreds of scenarios. Overall, a recommended game and please spread word to your ASL buddies.

Well, I wrote the game primarily for the SL/ASL fans;TotH is inspired by ASL. Of course I'm trying hard to make it approachable for other wargamers as well, however it's not an easy task. The challenge Of the unit selection control implementation is the fact that the game has to track many unit attributes/states hence why the control is more labor intensive than in other games, never mind the fact that you can have 45+ objects in a hex...it's difficult to come out with a control that is easy to use but handles all the game complexity. However, at some point in the future I will be revisiting this area of the interface to see how I can improve on the design.

Peter
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: vonotto

I'm old, I remember when Squad Leader came out and was in the back of my parents car (no seat belts in the car) holding the new box. As soon as I got home I opened it and was overwhelmed by the number of counters and the rules (this was just plain squad leader). I remember many many many failed attempts to grasp the rules and then to try and find a friend who was interested in playing, Years later I brought home the ASL binder of rules and was again SHOCKED by them. I played many a great games though and over the years job, family and real world obligations took over and all my book case games (that's what they used to be called) went by the wayside. Since then I have played most computer war games since they offered me the luxury of playing when and where I could as well as alone, but I always longed to get back into Squad Leader. I had not been on the matrix forums for a while so I took a peek and saw TOTH. After reading a few reviews and watching Idjester (sp?) on youtube I spent the money. WOW I was not expecting what I got. I have only played the 1st tutorial (7 times so far) but I had to stop to write that this is the most impressive true to my feel of Squad Leader I have ever played since I was in my pre teens. Thank you so much for the work done on this and I hope to see it continue and evolve and not die a slow death. If there is any way I can help I would love to. I know it is missing some rules but those that are missing used to just anger or confuse me for no reason anyway. Thank you again for this awesome tribute to Squad Leader.

Welcome aboard vonotto, I'm glad you are enjoying the game :)

Cheers!
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

The only thing I would love to see (so Far) is the ability to string a long campaign together and keep some core units that could gain experience as they survive. Such as starting with a corporal counter and as the campaign progresses having the possibility that he gets promoted. Or core squads that can if not get stronger maybe gain experience points that may assist in a small way in combat.

Just a couple things I like even thought they may not be doable.

Yes, I would like to do something this in the future ;)
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I love SOWCHOS 79, I can't live without these SCENARIO:

Currently playing SOWCHOS 79 with any game since 2009!!!

Cheers!

Attachments
sowchos79.jpg
sowchos79.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 64 times
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

welcome Vonotto
Uther

Post by Uther »

I have the same story as the original post. Exact same, with reading the rules in the back seat, then ASL and hundreds of miniatures lol.

A grand campaign where Units could earn experience would be the tops!
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

I'm old, I remember when Squad Leader came out and was in the back of my parents car (no seat belts in the car) holding the new box. As soon as I got home I opened it and was overwhelmed by the number of counters and the rules (this was just plain squad leader). I remember many many many failed attempts to grasp the rules and then to try and find a friend who was interested in playing, Years later I brought home the ASL binder of rules and was again SHOCKED by them. I played many a great games though and over the years job, family and real world obligations took over and all my book case games (that's what they used to be called) went by the wayside. Since then I have played most computer war games since they offered me the luxury of playing when and where I could as well as alone, but I always longed to get back into Squad Leader. I had not been on the matrix forums for a while so I took a peek and saw TOTH... Thank you again for this awesome tribute to Squad Leader.

Hey that's MY life !! [:D]
PDF

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”