Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

this clunking interface is killing me

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> this clunking interface is killing me Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
this clunking interface is killing me - 8/1/2016 9:01:40 PM   
ezzler

I can only play Barbarossa. Since day 1 of owning i've never managed to get ships to go where I want .
Carriers sail without planes.
Fleets sail without transports.
Sometimes a flyout opens. Often it doesn't. Sometimes a ship stacks . Sometimes it doesn't.
even having just finished the naval moves tutorial and immediately going to guadalcanal the ships have no planes. Naval ships move one at a tome. Alt -cntrl - space z -lc - rc makes no difference . One ship at a time.

Why is this so hard?

Why cant it be clearer?
Post #: 1
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/1/2016 9:46:46 PM   
Centuur

Personally, I believe the interface takes some time to get used too. But after that time, it's a pretty good one.

Yes, it isn't the same as used in a lot of other games. Therefore, one needs to look into the tutorials to see how this thing works.

For example: fly outs are activated by left clicking on an empty land hex. Naval forms are activated by clicking on a sea area. Move the mouse over to the hex, port or sea area which you want to investigate gives you the necessary information. Canceling fly outs or the naval forms is done the same way.

To move a stack of ships, use CTRL left click on a port and you can select all ships you want to move in one go. Any cargo to load, right click on a ship. Carrier planes are put on carriers if you first put the carrier in port, after which you can put a carrier plane on the ship. Same thing can be done during the rebase phase...

Peter

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/1/2016 10:21:04 PM   
paulderynck

I suspect the frustration will continue without more time spent looking at the players manual and the rules. There are numerous forms you can bring up to help you see where all your units are.

When carrier planes are placed on a hex with CVs, you should get a form to decide which CV they are on. If they don't start with a CV they have to rebase on to one.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/1/2016 10:35:06 PM   
Aranthus

I appreciate your frustration, and I had similar problems starting to use the game. I don't think I can add anymore than has already been said. Having worked with the interface for months now, I don't have the kinds of problems you describe anymore. It does take some practice and getting used to.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 4
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/1/2016 11:38:11 PM   
PeteGarnett

If you have or can get the free Teamviewer software then having someone teach you is best IMO.

(in reply to Aranthus)
Post #: 5
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/3/2016 2:21:20 PM   
ezzler

OK - thank you all.
Tried it again. Can see some of the problems was too large planes for a carriers. Which is why they wouldn't attach in set up.
On movement there is an annoying {bug?} on cancelling a stack move. The top counter in the stack disappears. So when try to do the move again its missing. This has made transports vanish. They return on the next impulse. But cancelling the move, cancelled the loaded unit, and then it couldn't be loaded once the transports vanished.

The air rebasing onto a carrier is annoying, but is part of air coded core rules.

I can see that setup has to be done really slowly as there is no undo with airpower once its chosen.

(in reply to PeteGarnett)
Post #: 6
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/8/2016 12:34:51 AM   
samspackman

How do you create naval 'task forces'? I can't find how to do that in the tutorials or the manual.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 7
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/8/2016 1:30:57 AM   
ezzler

ctrl left click brings up a menu - select all you need.

(in reply to samspackman)
Post #: 8
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/8/2016 12:36:27 PM   
samspackman

Ah cheers, I thought there was another step after you had selected them to group them together.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 9
RE: this clunking interface is killing me - 8/8/2016 5:01:11 PM   
paulderynck

Be careful they all have enough range and movement points to get where you want them. On occasion folks have included a fast but low range CL with a moving group and been frustrated because they seemingly would not go to the desired sea zone.

Paul

(in reply to samspackman)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> this clunking interface is killing me Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI