Fulda 55 - reworked

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

NikolaiEzhov

Fulda 55 - reworked

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

New version:
U.S. Army units completely re-designed to historical. Added 1 Air Army for Warsaw Pact forces.

The Scenario Fulda 55 in Classical TOAW folder is neither well-balanced or historical-real. So I redefined the Warsaw Pact OOB and TOE to its true situation in April 1955, and by which greatly strengthened Warsaw Pact ground forces. The Warsaw Pact players may have more chances against the mighty NATO tactical air force.

Sources:
V.Feskov et al.:"Вооруженные Силы СССР после Второй мировой войны: от Красной Армии к Советской (часть 1: Сухопутные войска" for Soviet OOB 1955
www.ww2.dk for Soviet Army unit designations and Soviet VVS OOB.
www.armouredacorn.com for Soviet Army units TOE.
http://www.usarmygermany.com/ for U.S. Army units OOB.
Attachments
Fulda 55 Yugiri.zip
(124.07 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Proletariat of the world, unite!
Lobster

RE: Fulda 55 - reworked

Post by Lobster »

It is exceedingly difficult to get any nations forces correct because the OOB never mirrors what is actually on hand simply what a unit is supposed to have. Even what is on hand is not accurate because it does not show what was combat operational and what was not. This is especially true of highly technical equipment such as air and helo units. Anyway, good to see you took the time to try and get it 'right'.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
ogar

Post by ogar »

Thanks for your work. I think the TOAW engine is better suited for 1950's hypothetical conflicts vs 1980's, so this should be interesting.

Echoing what Lobster wrote, I think getting the OOB and TOE accurate is the first step, then after many, too many tests, and after adjusting events, and possibly the .eqp, a designer needs to 'persuade' the OOB and TOE in order to deal with the limits of the TOAW engine.

And as you wrote, getting this scenario more accurate was long overdue. Thanks.
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

The most sad thing is that this scenario is still not balanced.
The original Fulda 55 scenario played on Rugged Defense results in 8:0, all the time NATO wins.
As NATO tactical air force being TOO STRONG, and will result in very high (60%) rate of Air Interdiction in turn 7-8 and immediately halt the Warsaw Pact offense. To make things worse, the Soviet player has no approach to suppress NATO air power. The whole Soviet 24th Air Army and 43rd Air Army will be wiped out in turn 4, or even faster.
In turn 8 I (as WP player) received a airborne division but I've find that I just can't parachute it out, as transports are destroyed or intercepted halfway, in East German sky.
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

Reworked again:

U.S.Army OOB basically redefined to historical status, which greatly strengthens the NATO combat capability.
Added 26th Air Army (from Belorussian MD) to Pact forces, hoping that it turning the tide in the air.

Attachment already updated in post #1.

Return to “Scenario Design”