Command Episode 1: Much Improved!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

HalfLifeExpert

Command Episode 1: Much Improved!

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

The update to Old Grudges Never Die definitely did improve things, but I noticed a couple apparent hiccups, and I also have a question.

Before I go on, there are spoilers about the scenario in this, so yeah, avoid if you don't want to know before you play!

First, one of the special messages appeared again for a second time, first at about 9:30 AM Zulu, and again at about 10:10 AM Zulu:

Here is the message in question:
To: Commander Turkish Defence Forces

Subject: Russian continued incursions into Turkish National Airspace

Russian forces have violated Turkish airspace once again! We must show them that this will not be tolerated. The Council of Ministers has authorized limited retaliation. The 10th Air Wing Merzifon and Diyarbakýr are hereby directed to engage Russian air forces in Northern Syria as a pre-emptive measure to maintain our security.

Limit casualties and prevent escalation, but show the Russians that we mean business!

Signed

Recep Tayyip Erdoðan

President of Turkey

Glad to finally get permission to engage, but it coming back over a half hour later unchanged seems a bit odd.

Also, glad to see this when I lost my submarine quite a ways into the scenario (and after I had engaged the Moskva and another ship):
Sir

Our Submarine the Preveze has stopped responding to our calls – it has probably been sunk! The Russians are the likely culprits! The Government considers this a hostile act and has declared that we should engage Russian targets at will!

But also another thing. Sometime after I got this message at 9:45 AM Zulu:
Sir

We’re getting a message from the Americans.

“Due to the outbreak of hostilities, US & Coalition strike packages will be clearing the airspace in an attempt to de-escalate the situation. However, Combat Air Patrols will be established to ensure the conflict remains contained.”

their aircraft engaged Russian aircraft without any real warning, first it was a flight of British Tornados, then a flight of American F-15Cs. I was glad to have the help, but no message ever came up saying that the US or Coalition is engaging. Seems odd to me.

Finally, I have one question. When I got the first message informing me of Ankara protesting the airspace incursion, I did not seem to see any violation by Russian Aircraft. There may have been a very brief crossing of the border, but that I can say only based off the border of an ambiguity zone that barely touched the border.

However, it made me think of those Kh-101 missiles launched from the North. Are those the airspace violations that set this off? As those missiles fly directly over Turkey, it makes sense to me, but I just wanted to ask. Also where are those missiles heading? Islamic State targets?

I was able to shoot down three of them near my bases, two with AMRAAMS and one with the guns from an F-4 returning from a strike mission.

Also, I still got a 'Major victory', but I lost at least half a dozen F-16s, 1 F-4, As well as my sub and Frigate, Coalition took losses too, and I was able to shoot down 1 Tu-214, 1 Il-20, I think one or two Flankers, a radar station and sink the Russian Spy Ship and the missile boat that is with the Moskva (I almost sank the Moskva with torpedoes from my sub though, but the damn things all missed). I did better than last time, but I still dispute this as a "Major" victory.

I am probably just nitpicking, but I just wanted to report.

Also one last thing, I wanted to retaliate against that S-400 site near Lakatia with SOM A missiles, but got stuck with downrange ambiguity, so I had to engage The Radar site next door instead. I killed it, but it seems to me that since that S-400 site is stationary, I should have a very good location on where exactly it is since it fired so many missiles by that point, at least an ambiguity within a half mile, the zone stretched up to 39nm.

Could someone explain this? It seems that this doesn't make a lot of sense to me for the location to be that vague at that point.
Gunner98

RE: Command Episode 1: Much Improved!

Post by Gunner98 »

I'll have to take a look at the messages, might be a mix up. The lag is not unrealistic I don't think.

I'll check about putting a condition on the US & Coalition message, the idea is that they don't go hostile quite as quickly as they do, not sure that will get resolved

The airspace violation is the Kh-101s

Victory is more about preventing WW3 than shooting down aircraft, but I can take a look at the score threshold.

The ambiguity issue is something I can't really comment on as I don't understand the mechanics of it.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Preposterous

Post by Preposterous »

So.. I was able to have a sit down and play this scenario to completion tonight (5 hours with drink breaks). I took my time set all No-Fly zones and took inventory. I was able to push assets (as the Russians) the way I wanted and work around all the craziness that was happening around me. I think this mission was the best experience Ive had in wargaming in a long time. I really appreciate the work that went into this. I have to also give thanks to the STEAM poster who gave additional Russian platform images that added a lot to the experience. I learned a lot about their weapons systems.

Great Job Gunner...Looking forward to the next and playing through this one again
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

I'll have to take a look at the messages, might be a mix up. The lag is not unrealistic I don't think.

I'll check about putting a condition on the US & Coalition message, the idea is that they don't go hostile quite as quickly as they do, not sure that will get resolved

The airspace violation is the Kh-101s

Victory is more about preventing WW3 than shooting down aircraft, but I can take a look at the score threshold.

The ambiguity issue is something I can't really comment on as I don't understand the mechanics of it.

B

Thank you for your response, and especially for the clarification on the airspace violation, since the Kh-101s are factored, it now makes perfect sense, thank you and I eagerly await "You Brexit, You Fix it!"
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I played this scenario for the second time today. I liked it. I found some of the Kurds "Turkish enemy" ground units near the AZIZ crossing and bombed them. Shot down some Russian A/C, but lost some A/C, most due to the S-400. I was about to attack the S-400 when peace was declared. Mu sub and ship survived. The coalition sunk one ship, but lost a sub. The coalition seemed to lose a lot of A/C to the S-400 site.

I would have liked to play the Coalition side. But, a good scenario. I look forward to the next one.
Sigma8510

Post by Sigma8510 »

Has an updated version of this DLC been released? If so, would someone give me a steer to it?
Thanks!!
Raptorx7_slith

Post by Raptorx7_slith »

ORIGINAL: jbaxter1964

Has an updated version of this DLC been released? If so, would someone give me a steer to it?
Thanks!!

The updated scenario was included with the latest patch.
Sigma8510

Post by Sigma8510 »

Thanks!!
MrClock

Post by MrClock »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDlGGe ... e=youtu.be

Americans attack me for no reason and without warning ... why?

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”