Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pirate Defense Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Pirate Defense Question Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pirate Defense Question - 7/21/2016 2:32:55 AM   

First off I'm playing in easy mode trying to get an understanding of everything.

So ...

Currently I have 6 ship frigate squadrons defending my colonies. Having them in my colony systems seems to be keeping the pirates away or they fight them off. I'm expanding though and I don't know if I can afford to create more squadrons. In easy mode would it be feasible for me to split the 6 frigate squadrons into 3 frigate squadrons and still be able to use them to defend my colonies from pirate raids?

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Post #: 1
RE: Pirate Defense Question - 7/21/2016 3:38:59 AM   

I split them and expand to local and nearby systems.... if the pirates arrive you can then bring them back quickly to provide support.

I always leave warships close to key areas so I can call them back quickly if needed.

I think people have different ways of playing but this is what I do.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 2
RE: Pirate Defense Question - 7/21/2016 5:46:39 AM   

What setting do you have the pirates on? Is it "weak"? In that case I think you can get away with squadrons of 4 or more. I would not go below 4 ships. Of course this depends on the firepower of each of your ships.

The next time the pirates attack, pause the game and examine the strength of the fleet they are using. Tally up the total firepower of all ships in the fleet and that should give you a good idea of the strength you need to fight them off. Personally I would aim for a fleet with at least double the pirate's strength.

The pirates are fond of sending lone ships to strike undefended targets, so I advise against having one big fleet that runs around chasing them - it will be too slow to catch them. I recommend several smaller fleets of 4-6 ships stationed in strategic areas to wait for them.

When you get more familiar with the game you can learn about programming fleets to protect areas automatically so you don't need to micromanage them so much.

Here's a video I made explaining all this:

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 3
RE: Pirate Defense Question - 7/21/2016 6:46:25 AM   

One thing I find helpful in the early game is outfitting my bases with a couple rail guns each. They deal immediate damage to ships, and their range is perfect for countering raiders. I don't have a specific video on designs, but if you look through them (link in signature) you will see that I generally prioritize rail gun and missile research at the start. One level of each allows your bases to quite effectively counter the early raids. Then, like everyone said, keep a few ships patrolling each system, then jump a main fleet in whenever necessary.

(in reply to RemoteLeg)
Post #: 4
RE: Pirate Defense Question - 7/22/2016 2:01:10 AM   

Park a few ships in the other system. As long as the empire options are set right they'll attack targets in the system.

you can learn about programming fleets to protect areas automatically so you don't need to micromanage them so much.

Posturing doesn't work well with pirates.

I used to do a few things. First, sometimes I would build a Def Base on the planet first and then colonize it. Secondly I would have a few troops on the new colony to handle all raids and pirate bases being built. Yeah sometimes the new colony gets quasi-blockaded by the pirates, but it's a new colony so who cares.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Pirate Defense Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI