Can you run WIF as a shell with no rules enforced?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

gbenson34

Can you run WIF as a shell with no rules enforced?

Post by gbenson34 »

Hello

I have played WIF since the early 80's and my group came up with alot of our own rules. We were wondering if the game allows you to use the just the map and counters. This would be much like a vassal type experience but we would be using the purchased game. Thanks for the help.
Heroes rarely claim that they chose to be heroic. Rather, that they were faced with a choice and acted in a manner that put others before themselves.
Orm

RE: Can you run WIF as a shell with no rules enforced?

Post by Orm »

Hello,

No, you can not run MWIF that way. MWIF enforce the rules.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
gbenson34

Post by gbenson34 »

Thanks Orm. I appreciate the response. Too bad about the setup. My friends and I played on Vassal for a long time before it was taken down. I guess we will keep looking for the 'magic game'
Heroes rarely claim that they chose to be heroic. Rather, that they were faced with a choice and acted in a manner that put others before themselves.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

What do you mean VASSAL was taken down? Still seems to be up, and in fact a new version of WiF was released earlier this month:\
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1599209 ... 11-release

Or am I missing something?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Well that version is 5th edition (RAW5). If you go to the Vassal site, there's links to download several excellent Vassal modules for the 7th edition (RAW7), which MWiF is based on. Last I looked the most current version was numbered 8.5. (Not to be confused with the pending version 8 of WiF - RAW8 - to be released later this year - hopefully).

Version 8.5 would be superb for what gbenson34 is looking for.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: gbenson34

Thanks Orm. I appreciate the response. Too bad about the setup. My friends and I played on Vassal for a long time before it was taken down. I guess we will keep looking for the 'magic game'

The setup is up to you. there is an optional setup but you can decide otherwise and do your own, including scrapping.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

ORIGINAL: gbenson34

The setup is up to you. there is an optional setup but you can decide otherwise and do your own, including scrapping.
The setup is not totally free. It dictates in what area a unit should be placed.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Well, yes. I was meaning free within the rules. This guy was writing about Vassal, so I understand he plays WIF in Vassal, so he knows that he cannot deploy any unit where he wants. But he can make a personal deployment within the limits.

It may be he didn't know that you don't need to take the "fast start" deployment.

Orm

Post by Orm »

I thought that Vassal didn't enforce the rules? Does it enforce the setup rules?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Vassal enforces absolutely nothing.

But there are set-up files for scenarios that have been created by module-builders. These are similar to the set-ups in MWiF in that the units that must be there at the beginning of a scenario are already on the board so the players don't have to hunt through their force pools or the counter selection menus to find them. They may still need to relocate them according to their desire if they don't have specific set-up locations, FREX the starting naval units.

But then for the randomly drawn units, in Vassal you'd do that manually one at a time, whereas MWiF does it for you.
Paul
gbenson34

Post by gbenson34 »

Regarding the WIF Module for Vassal - I have downloaded and installed the most up to date Vassal engine and downloaded and unzipped the WIF 8.52. Every time I go to load WIF 8.52 I get an error message stating that this is a non valid Vassal Mod. Am I missing something?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You don't unzip Vassal modules that are zipped, you just open them. For a vassal module the extension "zip" equals the extension "vmod".
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

There were some recent minor corrections. The latest version for WiF is now 8.53.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”