Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Function of Max Load in Aircraft?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Function of Max Load in Aircraft? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Function of Max Load in Aircraft? - 7/7/2016 7:49:31 AM   
Dili

I have a couple of bombers that don't have much space to take cargo : Ju88 and likes.
Is there any ill effect if i reduce the max load to a value less than the typical bomb load?
Post #: 1
RE: Function of Max Load in Aircraft? - 7/7/2016 4:45:59 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

I have a couple of bombers that don't have much space to take cargo : Ju88 and likes.
Is there any ill effect if i reduce the max load to a value less than the typical bomb load?

I do not know the direct answer to your question. I think I recall that max load would affect how much supply a bomber would carry when used to move supply; and it is used in the calculation to determine the size of the airfield required by the plane.

I suppose if you set it too low then one obvious effect would be to allow the plane to use airfields IRL too small for it.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 2
RE: Function of Max Load in Aircraft? - 7/7/2016 5:27:59 PM   
Lokasenna

It also determines how much supply is burned when a bomber flies an offensive mission.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Function of Max Load in Aircraft? - 7/7/2016 10:38:36 PM   
Dili

Thanks, that last one is indeed a conflicting problem.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Function of Max Load in Aircraft? - 7/11/2016 7:56:03 AM   
el cid again

Max Load is NOT used for actual weapons (unless you happen to make Normal Load = Max Load).
It is used to indicate the nature of the airfield and supply needs of the aircraft to code.

Basically (in military engineering terms) an aircraft has four loads:

no load
extended range load
normal range load
maximum range load

But code limits us to no load (Transfer range), extended range load (what it sounds like),
and Normal load

YOU define Normal load by the weapons you assign.
Note normally (for Allied planes in particular) that is MUCH LESS than Maximum Load.
But you get to fly a lot more range: an Allied bomber with max load has typically very little range!
Doubly so if it has an external load (similar to a Ju-88 - it can carry four large weapons outside -
but not very far!)

Axis planes often have normal load = maximum load. It is a different design philosophy. The Japanese
in particular wanted range more than load. And so their bombers have relatively light loadouts.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Function of Max Load in Aircraft? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI