Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The importance of newspaper corrections

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The importance of newspaper corrections Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 10:47:33 AM   
loki100

I'm sure we all want to see an honest press that openly admits any errors that may appear in its pages? If so we should salute the Caerphilly Observer:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 2:44:30 PM   
altipueri

loki,

How could you?

1. There's more fun in the UK at moment with Brexit politics - you being a Scottish Independence person and all that.

2. There's probably quite a lot of readers of this forum who will just wonder why you bothered to start a thread in order to draw attention to a perfectly reasonable newspaper correction of a factual error in a very minor UK regional paper.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 2:55:26 PM   
jwolf

Well he probably can't discuss Brexit much if at all here due to rules about politics.

I salute the Observer for doing the right thing. My big complaint with much of the American press is that there is a highly misleading or outright false statement in a sensational Page 1 story -- and days later, a small correction, if any at all, buried in Page 40. I would like to see an ethical standard (ha ha) in journalism that any correction receive the same prominence as the original story.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 3
RE: The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 2:55:51 PM   
Max 86

How silly. Everyone knows Moses played center for the Houston Rockets back in the seventies...

Attachment (1)

No problem Chief!

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 4
RE: The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 3:35:06 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

loki,

How could you?

1. There's more fun in the UK at moment with Brexit politics - you being a Scottish Independence person and all that.

2. There's probably quite a lot of readers of this forum who will just wonder why you bothered to start a thread in order to draw attention to a perfectly reasonable newspaper correction of a factual error in a very minor UK regional paper.

simply because it really amused me.

Very local papers in the UK (and I guess elsewhere) can be pretty wierd and wonderful. When I lived in the Lake District the local one ran a weekly version of the old fashioned 'spot the ball' competition (the idea of this was to show a picture of a football match with the ball removed .. you were meant to mark x where it should have been). Well given this was rural Cumbria, and I don't think the editor did post-modern irony, the weekly competition was a picture of a field of sheep and you were invited to 'spot the sheepdog'.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 5
RE: The importance of newspaper corrections - 6/30/2016 5:45:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

I'm sure we all want to see an honest press that openly admits any errors that may appear in its pages? If so we should salute the Caerphilly Observer:

warspite1

Well the mind boggles.... Just what did the article in the May 12 issue say, such that they needed to correct it?

Surely anyone writing 'Moses' Ark' would have realised immediately? Maybe they had been celebrating, in anticipatory styleeee, the forthcoming Welsh performances at Euro 2016 too hard?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The importance of newspaper corrections Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI