Pat vs Ronnie GW AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

Pat vs Ronnie GW AAR

Post by rkr1958 »

To catch folks up.
ORIGINAL: rkr1958
My preference is to play the allies.

Below is my initial proposal for the optional rules we use. These are the same optional rules I'm using in the AAR I'm currently doing with the exception of HQ movement. I'm finding this optional rule is an issue for moving Shiang Kai-shek. There's no way he can get into the mountains in central or southern China without becoming disorganized. But, I'm ok playing with it on too.

Also, I propose we house rule the "USSR-Japan compulsory peace" and some sort of USSR-Japanese pact in place at the start of the game. If you like that idea, then I'll defer to your experience with WiF on how we should one or both.
ORIGINAL: ashkpa

No problem with posting an AAR.

Versions. I'm currently on 2.2.6 and living with the air combat issue. I can easily convert back to 2.2.5.

No problem with taking the axis.

I'm ok with your optional rule selection for the most part. My current MWIF game is different in several areas, but I'll only comment on the ones that I am more concerned with.
I have never used the construction engineer optional. In the board game it was too difficult to keep track of all the factories and ports. That is easier on the computer, but I'm not sure how it will impact the actual usage of engineers in the game.
I've tried the unlimited breakdown in my current game. It works ok since the corp broken down are removed from the game until reformed. I am ok either way here.
I like defensive shore bombardment in general (as the axis I probably should not say that), but it is not a must have.
I have always found limited overseas supply helps to make the Pacific war a bit more active. Without it, it always seems to fall back to a waiting game, with both sides keeping their main fleets in port until the other makes a move.
I have liked emergency HQ supply, though I have seldom used it in an actual game.
I have liked night missions, but again I have seldom actually used in a game.
I do not like Chinese attack weakness. The Nationalist are already weak and this just ensures they never attack (again, I am arguing the wrong way as the axis player :-)).

None of these are deal breakers, just my thoughts.

Relative to Japan and Russia, I am fine with us playing with the compulsory peace optional.

As far as starting with a peace pac, I believe in game we can come up with deal. What does RU wants to offer the Japanese for this deal? :-)

Attachments
0OptionalRules.jpg
0OptionalRules.jpg (295.5 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: Pat vs Ronnie GW AAR

Post by rkr1958 »

Optional Rules Negotiations.

1. I have never used the construction engineer optional. In the board game it was too difficult to keep track of all the factories and ports. That is easier on the computer, but I'm not sure how it will impact the actual usage of engineers in the game. Agree not to use.

2. I've tried the unlimited breakdown in my current game. It works ok since the corp broken down are removed from the game until reformed. I am ok either way here. Why not, I'll give it a try

3. I like defensive shore bombardment in general (as the axis I probably should not say that), but it is not a must have. OK.

4. I have always found limited overseas supply helps to make the Pacific war a bit more active. Without it, it always seems to fall back to a waiting game, with both sides keeping their main fleets in port until the other makes a move. I've never used this rule and not sure what to do. But, if you or someone else can fill me in on how this rule changes play and what I need to do to make sure I keep my troops in supply then sure, why not.

5. I have liked emergency HQ supply, though I have seldom used it in an actual game. Again, I've never used this rule and not sure what it does but if someone can educate me on it I'll play with it.

6. I have liked night missions, but again I have seldom actually used in a game. OK

7. I do not like Chinese attack weakness. The Nationalist are already weak and this just ensures they never attack (again, I am arguing the wrong way as the axis player :-)). I need all the help I can get, so sure I'll play with it.

8. Relative to Japan and Russia, I am fine with us playing with the compulsory peace optional. As far as starting with a peace pac, I believe in game we can come up with deal. What does RU wants to offer the Japanese for this deal? Comrade Stalin offers Prime Minister Hideki Tojo a 1-year, 6-turn (Sep/Oct '39 - Jul/Aug '40) non-aggression pact where neither the Soviet Union or Japan will attack each other to either be renegotiated or not after said year.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

P.S.,

MWiF version 2.2.6 is fine. I'll apply the hotfix.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Optional Rules. Do these look good?

Attachments
1OptionalRules.jpg
1OptionalRules.jpg (346.85 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Ronnie
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Relative to 4. This basically requires that you have a CP (transports and amphs work as well) in a seazone to trace supply through it. What I have found, is that you get more small excursions trying to cut supply before a big operation. It is a much bigger issue for the allies and does require more CP to be built and probably more will be lost in keeping supply open.

Relative to 5. It allows you to flip an HQ, who then can provide supply to a limited number of units (up to his reorg value) on his side for the impulse. Not very common to find it useful, but it is a nice option at times.

Pact deal ok, with an additional condition that any declaration of war on Persia by either side voids the pact.
Pat
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Is there an additional patch to 2.2.6? Or are we just living with the incorrect air results until the next version.
Pat
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Can't wait to see when action begings... [&o]
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Relative to 4. This basically requires that you have a CP (transports and amphs work as well) in a seazone to trace supply through it. What I have found, is that you get more small excursions trying to cut supply before a big operation. It is a much bigger issue for the allies and does require more CP to be built and probably more will be lost in keeping supply open.

Relative to 5. It allows you to flip an HQ, who then can provide supply to a limited number of units (up to his reorg value) on his side for the impulse. Not very common to find it useful, but it is a nice option at times.

Pact deal ok, with an additional condition that any declaration of war on Persia by either side voids the pact.
Agree.

Is there an additional patch to 2.2.6? Or are we just living with the incorrect air results until the next version.
I pretty sure that 2.2.6 is the latest and that we will be living with the incorrect air results until updated.

Ok then, I'll start. In fact I've already completed the USA setup under the assumption that the optional rules are ok and with the risk that I'd have to redo it if not. [:)]

I was just waiting on how to setup the Soviets depending on whether or not they and Japan reached an agreement. Now I will proceed with the Soviets. [8D]
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. Lend Lease. Allies.

Attachments
00LendLease.jpg
00LendLease.jpg (333.76 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USA Entry Pool.

Attachments
00USEntryPools.jpg
00USEntryPools.jpg (174.34 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USA Scrapped.

Attachments
00USAScrapped.jpg
00USAScrapped.jpg (383.63 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USA CP Setup.

Attachments
00USACPSetup.jpg
00USACPSetup.jpg (669.37 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USA Continental Setup.

Attachments
00USAUnitsSetup.jpg
00USAUnitsSetup.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USA Philippines Setup.

Attachments
00USASet..lippines.jpg
00USASet..lippines.jpg (372.79 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USSR Scrapped.

Attachments
00USSRScrapped.jpg
00USSRScrapped.jpg (346.13 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USSR European Setup.

Attachments
00USSRSetup.jpg
00USSRSetup.jpg (913.57 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USSR Asian Setup.

Attachments
00USSRAsiaSetup.jpg
00USSRAsiaSetup.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. USSR CP Setup.

Attachments
00USSRCPSetup.jpg
00USSRCPSetup.jpg (672.96 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Oh, by the way, I assume we're emailing game files back and forth which I just did for the Italian setup.
Ronnie
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I'll follow this one too...thanks for playing 2d10!
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Return to “After Action Report”