Supply Counter

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Dr. Foo

Supply Counter

Post by Dr. Foo »

Of all the games I have bought over the years this is the only one that I come back to time and time again.

I am designing a scenario with the potential of an amphibious landing. I was thinking I could use the
Supply Counter as a Beach Head marker, but I'm not really sure how it works. Does it work exactly like
a supply point? Or does it act by drawing from a supply pint and giving a small supply boost to units that
otherwise would be out of supply?

Would it be easier for me to just add an event that adds a supply point on the beach?

I would like to make sure that the units have adequate supply and are not left to die.

Thank you!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Curtis Lemay

RE: Supply Counter

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

Of all the games I have bought over the years this is the only one that I come back to time and time again.

I am designing a scenario with the potential of an amphibious landing. I was thinking I could use the
Supply Counter as a Beach Head marker, but I'm not really sure how it works. Does it work exactly like
a supply point? Or does it act by drawing from a supply pint and giving a small supply boost to units that
otherwise would be out of supply?

Would it be easier for me to just add an event that adds a supply point on the beach?

I would like to make sure that the units have adequate supply and are not left to die.

Thank you!

From 8.3 in the manual:

Supply Units: Increases the Supply Level in each supplied location
that can trace a path no longer than the Supply Radius to
the Supply unit. Additionally, Supply units multiply supply distribution
to adjacent Cooperative units by 1.5. There is no effect on
Unsupplied locations.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo
1) Does it work exactly like a supply point?
2) Or does it act by drawing from a supply pint and giving a small supply boost to units that otherwise would be out of supply?
3) Would it be easier for me to just add an event that adds a supply point on the beach?

4) I would like to make sure that the units have adequate supply and are not left to die.
1) No. See above, if units are unsupplied it won't help.
2) Yes. See Brett Turner's 2 Weeks in Normandy for a fairly easy example to deconstruct, follow, test. His supply units (IIRC 1 US, 1 CW) allow you to boost the supply for units in areas where you plan to attack (or need boosts for defense if things aren't going according to plan). There are others out there, but this seems clearest example I can think of.
3) In 2WIN IIRC they appear in reinforcement schedule, representing the supply boosts provided by Mulberry Harbors post-D-Day. I'm sure you could use events, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

4) If you've a supply point on the beach, and it's captured, as above, a supply unit won't help. I tend to look at them (big picture) as supply stockpiles that boost supplies to particular areas, whether for offence (more usually) or defense.

If you test with 2WIN leaving supply values on in each hex, you'll see more clearly how they work.

Hope this helps (some), it took me a while to get a handle on them.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: General Staff

I tend to look at them (big picture) as supply stockpiles that boost supplies to particular areas,...

I tend to look at them (big picture) as extra transport assets for moving supplies (a bunch of extra trucks, basically). They don't actually contain supply itself - they focus the supply that's available.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”