Replayability

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sIg3b

Replayability

Post by sIg3b »

Thesis: Replayability is *THE* criterion of a classic.

Question: What is needed for a Computer Wargame to be extremely replayable?
lecrop

RE: Replayability

Post by lecrop »

Extreme randomization
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: lecrop

Extreme randomization

Nah; some randomization may help, but too much of it reduces the challenge.

If everything that happens is random, what´s the point?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Inability to be the same game twice even when forced on the game.

Example Commander Europe at War or Tigers on the Hunt. Too many randoms per turn to actually get the same game twice even if you try and do the same things twice forcibly.

Each roll of the virtual dice have too many variations and each turn is so many of these potential variations.

It doesn't mean you will like the game, but you can certainly play it over and over differently.

That's the definition of replayable.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Example Commander Europe at War or Tigers on the Hunt. Too many randoms per turn to actually get the same game twice even if you try and do the same things twice forcibly.

Each roll of the virtual dice have too many variations and each turn is so many of these potential variations.

It doesn't mean you will like the game, but you can certainly play it over and over differently.

Oh, sorry.

Your definition is viable, but I meant by "replayable" a game you WANT to replay countless times -a game that gets better with every new start rather than worse.

I should probably have said so.
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

If your answer is no, this means the game is not very replayable.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Tesuji

Thesis: Replayability is *THE* criterion of a classic.

Question: What is needed for a Computer Wargame to be extremely replayable?
Lots of content = many scenarios and campaigns
Some randomization = dynamic campaigns and scenario generator
Easy to make user content = map & scenario editors, new units & orders of battle
Good gameplay

What games fill those criterias? At least every game in Steel Panthers series [8D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Must definitely have a editor (map, OOB, script, mods) for endless campaign and scenario creation. [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Oh, sorry.

Your definition is viable, but I meant by "replayable" a game you WANT to replay countless times -a game that gets better with every new start rather than worse.

I'm trying to find out where you actually refuted my premise.

I own basically all the WW2 titles from Slitherine/Matrix Games, even some that are hardly what I call polished. They're still replayable. I wouldn't own them if they weren't. It's why I don't own console games measured in increments of 10s of hours to complete. If I'm paying 50-70 bucks for a game, I better be dead before I run out of replays.

If I were to consider Tigers on the Hunt the number 1 slot choice on the list, it is likely my number 50 title on the list might be a very good game, but generally speaking, you can only play one game at a time. So it might hardly ever get played all because you can only do one thing at a time. Doesn't make it not replayable though.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I think Advanced Tactics for instance is one of the most variable games ever made.

But it doesn't usually enter the top 5 status for me
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

For a game in general? I think first and foremost it needs to be "fun".

I've put hours upon hours into games I've had no right doing because I've enjoyed them. And there are ones that I pick up for 5 min and never load it again.

Looking at it from a wargame aspect it gets tougher...especially if you only consider SP. If it's a historical sim (WIT series, DC series, etc) then really all you can do is either add content (such as scenarios for say the PanzerCorp series) or create alternate AI paths for the game to utilize. MP makes these types of games almost infinitely "replayable".

For a more grand strategy game (DW:U, Paradox games, to a lesser extent Sid Maier games) then really they need to be fun and capture your attention. Right now I am ears deep in HOI4...because i wanted to try something ahistorical (take a run on USSR with Japan) I failed in glorious fashion tonight...but tomorrow I will load it up and try something else.

I've had AT for years and their UI would give me fits. I think it's a damn good game...but I would constantly make errors fighting with the UI so I quickly lost interest. Maybe it's time to try it again.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Must definitely have a editor (map, OOB, script, mods) for endless campaign and scenario creation. [:)]

+1 Moddability is an enormous key to a lasting and successful game. However, sometimes editors can be not so player friendly and I have seen games where I lost interest just because modding required just too much of an investment in time, software and or ingenuity. It's best when even an average player is able to mod a game.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Surprised, I did not see it mentioned in the responses so far. Live opponent or Pbem opponent. Add that to the mix of reasons a game is replayable.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

An AI worth playing against. Random Maps and a buy point system for different challenges from 1000 to 5000 buy points.

My replayable game would be Steel Panthers save for the AI. Great random maps and buy point system though.

For me it has to be ever changing. Something I haven't seen before. Static scenario games just won't do anymore.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Surprised, I did not see it mentioned in the responses so far. Live opponent or Pbem opponent. Add that to the mix of reasons a game is replayable.

Good point!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Oh, sorry.

I'm trying to find out where you actually refuted my premise.

I own basically all the WW2 titles from Slitherine/Matrix Games, even some that are hardly what I call polished. They're still replayable. I wouldn't own them if they weren't. It's why I don't own console games measured in increments of 10s of hours to complete. If I'm paying 50-70 bucks for a game, I better be dead before I run out of replays.

If I were to consider Tigers on the Hunt the number 1 slot choice on the list, it is likely my number 50 title on the list might be a very good game, but generally speaking, you can only play one game at a time. So it might hardly ever get played all because you can only do one thing at a time. Doesn't make it not replayable though.

I didn´t try to refute your premise. [:)]

Your premise is perfectly ok, but I wanted to clarify that I mean by "replayable" a game you both CAN and WANT to replay often. The variance you point out makes for the CAN, not necessarily for the want. But the mistake was mine, I should have given my definition of replayability at the outset.
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: jamus34
For a game in general? I think first and foremost it needs to be "fun".

Absolutely.

However, fun is necessary, not sufficient.

Imagine an otherwise excellent game that has only one scenario (maybe a long one), only one difficulty level and little or no randomness.

Once you have won it there is no point in replaying. Like with most RPGs.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Like with most RPGs.
Yet some MMORPG games gets the player to do the same thing again, and again, and many times more.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Orm
Like with most RPGs.
Yet some MMORPG games gets the player to do the same thing again, and again, and many times more.

You mean they create an unhealthy addiction? [:'(]

I don´t play MMxs, they sorta bore me, since you can´t really win them. [>:]

I guess I don´t consider them replayable, since I don´t even find them playable. [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”