The Akusekijima Conflict, 2019 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

The Akusekijima Conflict, 2019 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

A new beta for testing...

This mission covers a mission by the Japanese Coast Guard to intercept Chinese fishing boats conducting illegal operations in the East China Sea.

This scenario might be a little slower-paced than some...the intent was that it should be more about thinking and making good decisions than about killing things.

Please let me know what you think and what can be done to make the scenario better. There are a lot of Events in this scenario...are they all working all right? Any other suggestions, observations, comments, etc.?

Thanks.

[version 3 uploaded 2:55 PM EST 6/30/16]
Attachments
The Akusek..ct, 2019.zip
(44.54 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
wqc12345

RE: The Akusekijima Conflict, 2019 -- new beta for testing

Post by wqc12345 »

Very prescient Mark

Indonesian navy fires on Chinese boat near Natuna Islands

Indonesia said on Monday it will continue to protect the sovereignty of its fishing grounds following reports of a fresh confrontation with Chinese vessels in the disputed South China Sea.
http://goo.gl/AbPLDQ
TurboRUSH

Post by TurboRUSH »

Build: 825 v1.11
Results: Triumph - 330
Three Chinese fishing boats sunk

I enjoy scenarios like this to take a break from the massive Jutland-like scenarios that I normally play. The challenge is to resolve the issue without resorting to violence. Sadly, that did not happen...

Spotting the intrusions by Chinese fishing boats wasn't difficult however, what they did afterwards baffled me. The fishing boats headed for Japan and messages popped up telling me that the post-intercept fishing boats were intruding. The cutters were sent to intercept the fishing boats and when they got too close, I had to destroy them. Had to err on the side of caution and eliminate them. I figured they were meant to be destroyed since I received points for doing so.

Not sure if the fishing boats were supposed to be taken over by Japanese CG and the boats were being taken to port?

Bugs/oddities:

-The Chinese frigate entered the exclusion zone and played cat-and-mouse chase with a cutter for 2.5 days straight. Not sure what was going on there.
-The Xin and the 3rd fishing boat would head toward the exclusion zone and then turn around and kept repeating this until 2 days left in the scenario.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Interesting low-profile conflict scenario. But again, without the collision event (ramming), this isn't going to be a stressful tug-of-war, and result to use weapons to compensate the missing feature.

I had an idea for this though, a simple script by circling Chinese fish boats at very small area with attached ref points, and when cutter approache it will notify you the crew is now 'boarding' it and eventually disable it and receive scores.

But I don't know if Lua allow to change event by different approach of speed by a cutter. Like if it's exceeding 15 knots, the message will not be 'boarding' but 'ramming', and giving substantial damage to both ships (except the ship systems) as well as 'Code Red' (war imminent) situation when Chinese fighters/warships are targeting cutters.

This can be decided by player whether they want to do the heroic but boring justice, or straight up Asia warfare.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 2 uploaded. I've made a bunch of changes...reduced scenario time to 3 days, modified some of the Events (and would be grateful for feedback on this), and modified the Chinese warships so they do not immediately sink the Japanese Coast Guard if things go south. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any thoughts on the new version? Anything I can do to make it better? Thanks.

TurboRUSH

Post by TurboRUSH »

I'll try it again later this week. Too much on my plate at the moment. Should have feedback by Friday. Thanks for the updated scenario.
TurboRUSH

Post by TurboRUSH »

Just completed the latest version of this scenario. Thanks for the updated scenario. The changes definitely affected the outcome in a different manner.

Result: 150 - Minor Victory

No problem detecting and intercepting the first fishing boat (Xin). After boarding, a message came up indicating the boat was headed to Japanese port. Xin reached coast of Japan and stayed there throughout the scenario.

Detected the 2nd intruding boat (Saifei) and proceeded to intercept and board. Before the boarding could be completed, the Chinese destroyer came at full speed and attacked Shikishima with guns. The Japanese destroyer Akizuki immediately let loose a salvo of SSM-1 anti-ship missiles and sunk the Chinese destroyer while the WD-1K drone was also shot down by an F-15. Unfortunately, both of the cutters took hits to the engine and are dead in the water. After this, the scenario ended however, I wanted to play to the end until time ran out.

A 3rd intruding fishing boat was detected however, with both cutters immobile, there was no way to intercept and board.

Observations:

-Is the WD-1K drone of any use flying in the cloud layer (12,000 feet MSL)? Shouldn't it fly below the cloud layer in order for the sensors to be able to observe.
-I never understood what triggered the scenario end dialogue box to appear. It showed up while there was 1.5 days left in the scenario and a points total of 150.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 3 uploaded. I think I have fixed what was causing the premature ending...originally, the loss of a Chinese ship ended the scenario (political disaster, etc.). That has been removed so the scenario can be fully played out. I think I have fixed the bit with the Chinese UAV, too...it should fly at 5000 feet now. Again, please let me know what you think. And, again, any other suggestions are welcome, too. Thanks.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Well, I captured three boats, and got allied destroyer sunk (I suppose by Chinese ship-based missile) at point-blank range.

Then, allied helo went down out of fuel (because there was no ship to land).

Scored 80 average.

Nice low-intensity scenario. Found no bug and no other anomaly.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any other thoughts or suggestions on this one? Anything else I can do to make it better? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks!
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Tested with SP1 database and ini.

I cannot make that far because an unarmed DL struck by an AGM from Wing Loong, but boarded 2 vessels within the designated area before the retaliation happens.

Extremely inspiring, this also made my want to continue the Chinese Coast Guard scenario design that involved in a middle of SCS massive holocaust.

Notes/ideas:

- I saw some randomly circling still and crashing civilian aircrafts during the scenario, and it keep prompt the responsibility of cause messages. A more refined civilian air traffic maybe?
- A blind charge by target vessels toward the area does indeed luring players to believe it's just a normal coast guard operation, and I like that deception for beginners. But a 'destroyer'(was it intentionally 'amplify' the Chinese threat by marking the frigate as destroyer at the mission log?)'s endless FCR emissions make everyone believe it's an obvious pre-attack attempt. I know it's a military based game, but it's far too obvious to make experienced players expect some missile exchanges. Maybe you should try to add more unfriendly marked vessels that ended up an 'innocent' passage, and will eventually returns for more challenging and deceiving Coast Guard luring? As well as more 'scheduled' FCR emission from a Chinese warship rather than prolonged?
- No Chinese Coast Guard/Maritime Surveillance vessel at all, a straight-up murder attempt. Maybe after the first boarding, one or two CCG will try to intercept the JCG vessels aggressively for 'release the subject'? (Hint: If Chinese Coast Guard reach the captured vessel, after a duration it will retake and set course back to China, as well as player will suffer greater score penalty).
- WD-1K's strafing does have the fear-factor to cruise around the AO, but I think it also should fire the script if JSDAF found and intercept (without attacking) it, it will force to return back to airbase, and China will launch another WD-1K to annoy the pilots.
- Never seen what these Chinese subs doing there, but I believe it's a retaliative preparation with SLASMs against JCG vessels (consider flanking toward it and fire torps is far too slow). I might thinking, what if China use torps to attack innocent vessels, smokescreen it as a 'engine failure/fuel tank ignition' with open broadcasting, and force to trigger the 'rescue operation' to distract player and investigate it?

But over all, a rather simple scenario setup that never made me heartbeat for a whole hour, very thoughtfully planned, just a bit too downright violent if get out of hand.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”