Linux can Distant Worlds

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Menschenfresser

Linux can Distant Worlds

Post by Menschenfresser »

After trying with wine on an off, I decided to give VM a try.

Ubuntu 16.04
Virtualbox w/additions to support 3d.
Win 8.1
Steam

It is very playable. A tad sluggish, but I am not running anything near the latest and greatest. My computer is circa 2010 with a nvidia 560 upgrade some years later. You definitely need the virtualbox windows additional experimental 3d support. It installs directly from within VB without another download...or it did for me at least. Without that, it is not playable.

In case anyone still cared.
Make wargames, not war.
Cauldyth

RE: Linux can Distant Worlds

Post by Cauldyth »

Oh, I definitely care! DW is the only remaining reason I ever boot into Windows. If I could remove that reason, I'd be very happy! Might have to give it a try.

Here's hoping DW2 is written in a framework that allows it to run on Linux and OSX...
Shark7

RE: Linux can Distant Worlds

Post by Shark7 »

Yep, keep us posted on this. I'd love to 'upgrade' to Linux instead of Win 10 when the time comes.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”