Aircraft replacements sometimes not consuming supply

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

Aircraft replacements sometimes not consuming supply

Post by Lokasenna »

I think I've found a bug where in at least one circumstance, aircraft replacements are not consuming supply. I have a hunch on what causes it, but I'm not certain.

Here's a shot of an air unit that needs just 1 replacement. At the bottom is the AF size and supply at its base. There is also an Air HQ, which presumably allows it to take replacements with this level of airfield/supply. There are no other airfields within 5 hexes of this one, and no other air HQs at those airfields in any case (although Japanese air HQs do not have a command radius of more than 5 in stock). Stock scenario 2.

(Having trouble uploading files right now, so will come back later and add the pictures)

Before: Airfield 5(5), Supply 10021. Unit needs 1 aircraft to be at full TOE.

Attachments
Air replac..s before.jpg
Air replac..s before.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Lokasenna

RE: Aircraft replacements sometimes not consuming supply

Post by Lokasenna »

After: Supply 10021. Unit now at full. No supply deducted.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Will upload the save file here from mid-turn, with the unit still at 23 of 24 aircraft.
Attachments
wpae015.zip
(4.36 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I checked the other bases nearby, and none of them had any supply deducted for the aircraft replaced either.

My theory is that the presence of an HQa is overriding all requirements and skipping the supply deduction part of taking replacements, rather than simply removing the need for AF 7+/20,000+ supply in order to take replacements.

If that's the case, it has enormous implications for how a game plays.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I'll wait until the screenshots are up but the preliminary comment is that you are probably not looking at the correct airfield.  The radius of the HQ is not relevant; what is important is the transfer range of the aircraft model back to a relevant HQ which is situated at a base with 20k+ supplies.

Alfred
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I'll wait until the screenshots are up but the preliminary comment is that you are probably not looking at the correct airfield.  The radius of the HQ is not relevant; what is important is the transfer range of the aircraft model back to a relevant HQ which is situated at a base with 20k+ supplies.

Alfred

Ah ha. Thanks. I will check all of the bases within range, although the particular airframe is the A6M8 which only has a transfer range of 11. The HQ of the unit is "Independent", which I think may mean that any airfield with an HQ will qualify?

Upon checking, there is only 1 other airfield within range: AF 4(3), Supply 2640, no HQa at all.

With drop tanks, the A6M8 can go 21 hexes. That has within range:
1) AF 8, Supply 13113. No HQa
2) AF 2, Supply 2998. No HQa
3) AF 9, Supply 23672. 1 HQa present
4) AF 6, Supply 23475. No HQa
5) AF 5, Supply 56104. 2 HQa present
6) AF 6, Supply 9602. No HQa
7) AF 2, Supply 28953. No HQa
8) AF 4, Supply 64625. 1 HQa present

When I bring in 1 replacement aircraft, none of the supply at any of those bases changes.

I still can't upload an attachment.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I'm able to upload attachments again. Have attached the one screenshot I made and the save file. Can make other screenshots as necessary, but I'm not sure it is. I did check all of the bases in range and supply was not consumed from any of them.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

The rules for LBA aircraft replacements and expenditure are listed in s.16.2 of the manual.

1.  Air unit at airfield size 1 with more than 20k supplies present, replacement comes from pool and supply cost is paid at this airfield
(NB if unit is flying floatplanes, airfield can be size 0 if located on a coastal hex)

2.  Air unit at airfield size 1 with less than 20k supplies present, replacement comes from pool if:

(a) air unit is assigned to a HQ and the HQ location satisfies all the following:

• airfield size 1
  • more than 20k supplies present
  • is within transfer range of aircraft model flown by the air unit
and the supply cost is paid at HQ base

(b)  air unit is assigned to a Command level HQ and the Command level HQ location satisfies all the following:

• airfield size 1
and the supply cost is paid at the Command level HQ base

3.  The National base acts as a Command level HQ

Different rules apply for the creation of sub-units but they are not relevant here.

Alfred
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The rules for LBA aircraft replacements and expenditure are listed in s.16.2 of the manual.

1.  Air unit at airfield size 1 with more than 20k supplies present, replacement comes from pool and supply cost is paid at this airfield
(NB if unit is flying floatplanes, airfield can be size 0 if located on a coastal hex)

2.  Air unit at airfield size 1 with less than 20k supplies present, replacement comes from pool if:

(a) air unit is assigned to a HQ and the HQ location satisfies all the following:
  • airfield size 1
and the supply cost is paid at HQ base

(b)  air unit is assigned to a Command level HQ and the Command level HQ location satisfies all the following:
  • airfield size 1
and the supply cost is paid at the Command level HQ base

3.  The National base acts as a Command level HQ

Different rules apply for the creation of sub-units but they are not relevant here.

Alfred

OK, but if no supply is being deducted from any of the bases within 21 hexes of the A6M8 unit, then what? Is there anything else I should be checking? I guess I did not check Tokyo for this one, but Tokyo is 50+ hexes away.

I haven't had any sub-units of replacements being created in this game, but as you say not relevant.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Isn't there a chance that new supply flowed into the providing base to make up for the usage to create the aircraft? It would appear that nothing happened if the base was at the normal holding of 3X required level and was not a key base holding the surplus supply.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Isn't there a chance that new supply flowed into the providing base to make up for the usage to create the aircraft? It would appear that nothing happened if the base was at the normal holding of 3X required level and was not a key base holding the surplus supply.

Even if that could be the case (most of these bases are islands; those that aren't are not connected by road to any other bases so supply flow is unlikely as well as unnecessary since all bases have more than 3x their supply requirement), I'm doing this in the middle of the orders turn. Supplies only flow during the replay when orders are resolved.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The save has the group with 24 planes so it does not need any.
I changed the max group size to 25 and added a plane from pool. The base Bangkok supplied the 'supply' as it is the group's base HQ location as the group is independent.
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The save has the group with 24 planes so it does not need any.
I changed the max group size to 25 and added a plane from pool. The base Bangkok supplied the 'supply' as it is the group's base HQ location as the group is independent.

...that is just so far away, and outside of the aircraft's transfer range. Wow.

Why was Bangkok used, since the group was independent? Why wouldn't it be the national base (Tokyo)?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Independents use the HQ of the base, whereas groups with HQ will try to use nearest Air HQ (with base HQ as fallback). In any case at least the replacements are paid for.[:D]
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Independents use the HQ of the base, whereas groups with HQ will try to use nearest Air HQ (with base HQ as fallback). In any case at least the replacements are paid for.[:D]

Yes, that's relieving to know. I would have never thought to look as far away as Bangkok. Thanks for checking.

Return to “Tech Support”