Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario recommendation.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario recommendation. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario recommendation. - 6/6/2016 12:36:56 PM   
sharper

Just finished my first (for 20 odd years) Buccaneer. Victory......

Not sure what to go for next?

still a newbie!

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/6/2016 1:41:38 PM   
Yaab

If you are a perfectionist and hate life, try any of the grand campaign scenarios.

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/6/2016 1:52:21 PM   
sharper

That was my think to try the 8th December.....
I would like to at some point try a H2H via email.......not sure I'm good enough yet?

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/6/2016 4:46:22 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

I would like to at some point try a H2H via email.......not sure I'm good enough yet?

There is really no way to get good at playing a real opponent other than by playing a real opponent. Even if you get trounced, you wind up learning a lot. That being said, it's probably important to be comfortable with all of the systems (especially industry if you're playing Japan) before playing another human.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 6/7/2016 4:19:03 AM >

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/6/2016 5:45:20 PM   
sharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

There is really no way to get good at playing a real opponent than playing a real opponent. Even if you get trounced, you wind up learning a lot. That being said, it's probably important to be comfortable with all of the systems (especially industry if you're playing Japan) before playing another human.

I agree regarding h2h

I've started the Guadalcanal scenario - playing Allies is I always do ATM I have not too much clue what is going on. But I've only had a couple of turns and it's not as I remmember it back in the day.......

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 1:21:39 AM   
sventhebold

H2H is the way to go. It is if you are ready for suffering on a much grander scale. I have been playing against my partner in crime (Pompack) and he has beaten the hash out of me for going on a decade. Sigh.
Correction: Yes an Email game. PBEM

< Message edited by sventhebold -- 6/7/2016 4:28:07 PM >

ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 4:25:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sventhebold

H2H is the way to go. It is if you are ready for suffering on a much grander scale. I have been playing against my partner in crime (Pompack) and he has beaten the hash out of me for going on a decade. Sigh.

Guys, please stop using H2H to describe an e-mail game. H2H is on one computer. The idea is for people sharing the computer to set up their turns and then run the turn together. I use it for "sandboxing" situations where I want to control what both sides do.

The E-mail version you refer to is Play By E-Mail (PBEM). It has much better Op Sec than H2H.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to sventhebold)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 10:02:16 AM   
sharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sventhebold

Guys, please stop using H2H to describe an e-mail game. H2H is on one computer. The idea is for people sharing the computer to set up their turns and then run the turn together. I use it for "sandboxing" situations where I want to control what both sides do.

The E-mail version you refer to is Play By E-Mail (PBEM). It has much better Op Sec than H2H.

My fault I was in Command Op2 mode.

Mind boggling playing a game for a decade! They are day turns? Im not sure I have that staying power.
I wouldnt mind having a bash playing Allies in a shorter scenario?

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 1:16:40 PM   
dave sindel

I'm a relative newbie as well. I started playing WITPAE a little over a year ago. Started with Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios and got a "feel" for how the game plays. I started a PBEM Guadalcanal scenario and a couple of months into that, my opponent suggested we do a Campaign Game instead. We average a turn per day, more on the weekend. I much prefer PBEM and strongly recommend you give it a try.

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 4:15:29 PM   
pontiouspilot

Time to quit playing with yourself....you'll go blind!!....try PBEM and you will never go back!!

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 4:26:27 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

I'm a relative newbie as well. I started playing WITPAE a little over a year ago. Started with Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios and got a "feel" for how the game plays. I started a PBEM Guadalcanal scenario and a couple of months into that, my opponent suggested we do a Campaign Game instead. We average a turn per day, more on the weekend. I much prefer PBEM and strongly recommend you give it a try.

A turn per day? You guys must have real lives or real jobs (not both). Some of us have done 4 turns per day all week long.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 5:33:38 PM   
GetAssista

Reading AARs of PBEM games can teach you a lot of stuff and much quicker than actual play.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 6:17:48 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Reading AARs of PBEM games can teach you a lot of stuff and much quicker than actual play.

+1 - my emphasis.

One of the most complex aspects of the game especially in the Grand Campaign is: (1) Order of Battle and (2) Re-enforcement and withdraw schedule of all types of combat units.

Rookies struggle with this unless they have a very sound education in the actual history of the war and/or spend valuable time using the tools in game to understand whats coming where and making plans for it.

AARs will provide some valuable insights into this; although not universally.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/7/2016 6:58:21 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Time to quit playing with yourself....you'll go blind!!....try PBEM and you will never go back!!

It is true, I'm typing this blind...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivo

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/8/2016 2:52:09 PM   
Andy Mac

If playing the AI stay away from 8th Dec scenario not sure I ever updated the AI files

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenario recommendation. - 6/8/2016 7:09:03 PM   
sharper

x

< Message edited by sharper -- 6/9/2016 10:00:40 AM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario recommendation. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI