Marine units and amphibious assaults

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Zajcew

Marine units and amphibious assaults

Post by Zajcew »

Section 13.13 of the manual says that non-marine units suffer about 30% attack strenght penalty while doing an amphibious attack. This implies I think, that units with the "marines" icon don't suffer this penalty. However no other part of the manual ever mentions this again (for example section 13.9.6 on water assaults) Section 16.1 that describes additional unit icon properties doesn't list any special effects for "marine" icons which makes me think they are just alternate infantry icons. So my question is: Do units with "marine" icons suffer normal penalties during cross-river and amphibious assaults? Has anyone checked?
sPzAbt653

RE: Marine units and amphibious assaults

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Note that a non-Marine unit attacking from a Deep Water location has its Attack Strength multiplied by 0.7

That doesn't imply anything, it clearly says that Marine units don't suffer the .7 deep water penalty. This has nothing to do with cross-river assaults.
Zajcew

RE: Marine units and amphibious assaults

Post by Zajcew »

The wording of the sentence (It describes a general rule about amphibious assaults without refering to marines specificaly)and the fact that this unit property isn't mentioned anywhere else, while other units properties are didn't make it immediately obvious for me.I wondered if it was perhaps an error in the manual so that's why I'm asking if anyone ran actual calculations for amphibious assaults by units with marine icons.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”