Transfer planes from CV to base

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

Transfer planes from CV to base

Post by jwolf »

Rookie problem here: let's say I have a CV at a base, about to go offline for repair or refit. I want to transfer the air groups. If I move them to another carrier they will fly and still be operational, but if I move them to the base they come out damaged (well, crated actually), as though they unloaded from a freighter. How do I make them fly to the airstrip? [&:]
Korvar

RE: Transfer planes from CV to base

Post by Korvar »

Quickly create a task force for the carrier (no need to add other ships, just the carrier). Do your air group transfers then disband back into the port for the repair/refit.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Go to sea, fly them off.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

There is a reason Naval planes suffer damage when going from a carrier to shore.

Have you ever seen "Airedales" when they get shore leave?

'Nuff said.

(For that matter, I guess that applies to any of those fellas who have been breathing sea air for any length of time.)

tiemanjw

Post by tiemanjw »

What others said... however consider that when they come off "damaged", they get repaired. CV aircraft suffer a lot of fatigue (on the airframe), so it is often a good idea to pull them off in port (such that they are "damaged") to allow ground crews to do some depot level maintenance on the airframes.

Of course if you are worried about an airstrike, you may well want the additional CAP. Decisions, decisions...
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

Quickly create a task force for the carrier (no need to add other ships, just the carrier). Do your air group transfers then disband back into the port for the repair/refit.

Make sure the TF is not docked or they will be damaged.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you were docked the only way to unload them is in crates.  The "damage" is the time it will take to reassemble them.  Fly them off before docking.  I've made the mistake a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away of putting a CV in for extensive repairs with the planes still aboard.  Don't do that.

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

If you were docked the only way to unload them is in crates.  The "damage" is the time it will take to reassemble them.  Fly them off before docking.  I've made the mistake a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away of putting a CV in for extensive repairs with the planes still aboard.  Don't do that.

The air groups can be flown to airfields other than the port/shipyard base, if any are in range and have enough support. The air groups can be flown back to the port airfield if the others don't have the AV or size for long-term storage.

That said, what is the benefit of transferring the aircraft, assuming they won't be transferred to another carrier or to the front as land-based aircraft? The off chance that the carrier is sunk in port? Or is it for realism purposes, to mirror the actual CV port/shipyard procedures?

So far I've just been leaving the air groups on board, and they seem to train just fine there. But I've only played into early 1942 as the Allies so far so... 1) training is especially needed early in the war and 2) small sample size.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I'm not sure where I read it, but training while a ship is disbanded or under repair goes at half the rate of an operational ship or airfield. My experience in game supports this.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I don't know about the training at half rate, first I've heard of it, but I'd rather have them off the CV if I have sufficient AS at the location. Unfortunately as Japan that's not always possible early war as my AS are generally moving toward the front and rear bases have just enough plus a bit. It has gotten easier now that the double AS at 8+ level air bases is back (I know it has been for a while but I don't like patching up in the middle of a game).

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

If you accidently put a CV in repair with the air groups still aboard you can unload them by accessing the ship screen via the ship list toolbar icon at the top of the game screen. Select the toolbar icon to show all ships, select the button at the bottom of the screen to show shiips under repair and then select the CV under repair. The air groups on board should be hihglighted yellow and you should be able to click on them and then when the airgroup screen open up select the transfer to base option
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Have you ever seen "Airedales" when they get shore leave?

That's dog. How did they get into this?

Attachments
Airedale_Terrier.jpg
Airedale_Terrier.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 60 times
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

+1
I did not know that!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

ORIGINAL: rustysi

+1
I did not know that!

Yeah, sometimes I find myself doing it both ways in the same turn. Undocked to remove operational A/C and then docked to get the nonoperational A/C off.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I may be getting senile (may may be generous) but I don't remember being able to xfr sqds. from or to docked carriers.  Oh geez, what was I just talking about?  Something about docking carrier's allowance?  Where's the nearest Tastee-Freeze?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”